Windows 10: while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

Discus and support while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk. Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sandila, Feb 4, 2020.

1. sandila Win User

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk.
    Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard disk 379 Gb

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space [​IMG]

and here is a screenshot of error which I get when I try to copy paste the virtual machine vmdk files from laptop to USB hard disk

here is size of virtual machine on USB hard disk 376 Gb

here is the screenshot of hard disk on laptop whose backup is to be taken 452 Gb

the difference of virtual machine on USB and laptop is approximately 76 Gb
    and my external USB hard disk has 379Gb free space.But still when I try to copy paste the virtual machines vmdk files from laptop to external USB hard disk I get error as in above screenshot.
    Which says there is not enough space on external hard disk ,you need 188 Gb to copy the files, where as there is 379Gb space available still I am not able to copy paste the files to external USB hard disk.
    How to resolve this problem?

I use Windows 10 Home edition.

:)

sandila, Feb 4, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Feb 4, 2020
  3. hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 4, 2020
  4. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

Hard disk space

The first and most obvious reason you don’t have access to all your hard drive space is that there’s a significant piece of software installed on it already: your operating system. Unless you specifically selected a “no OS” model, it will come pre-installed
    with something.

Another place your hard drive space might have gone is to a manufacturer-created disk partitions. In years past, a new computer commonly came with one (or a whole book full of) CDs containing software, including a recovery disk. In the event of a total meltdown
    of your machine, you could boot from this drive and restore your computer to an right-out-of-the-box state.

Other possible reasons including hidden partitions, unpartitioned hard disk space, system protection takes up much space and many others. check out

this tutorial
    to see how to solve it step by step.

Hope it is helpful.

PeterPeng3, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

1. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space - Similar Threads - while copying files

2. Copying files across 2 hard disks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files across 2 hard disks: Hello, I have successfully copied about 500GB of files from a hard disk containing 800GB to a 2nd hard disk. But I now need to copy the other 300GB onto a 3rd hard disk. So what I want to know is if there is an XCOPY command or something similar to copy all files from the...
  3. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message: I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk. Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard disk 379 Gb [ATTACH] and here is a screenshot of error which I get when I try to copy paste the virtual machine vmdk...
  4. hard disk space windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard disk space windows 10: what is the requirements for disk space for windows 10 and additional space for feature updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space-windows-10/e95ed33e-11ab-4427-b7b3-71e4dfc15d39
  5. error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop

error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop: I tried to copy files from my external hard disk to my laptop but an error message came saying "cant read from souce file or disk". Any solutons?...
  6. Hard Disk Space

Hard Disk Space: Hello, my hard drive SSD is filling up, and I would like to know what is the best way to get free space with out problems. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/2ec660fc-3503-40ea-8d78-9a08b9f669a7"
  7. hard reset low disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard reset low disk space: i am trying to hard reset my lenovo miix 320 on windows 10 but each time it comes up an error messsaage saying there isnt enough disk space, ive done recommended things uninstalled apps disk degradmenter threre is nearly 32gb free storage so unsure why this is happening. is...
  8. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 . The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks,. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage had increased. However, it hasn't. What do I need to do to...
  9. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS420 desktop. The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks, which were set up in Raid Mirror. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage...
  10. hard disk space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disk space: my 1tb disc is almost full and I need to know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/20210a12-f63b-44de-bda0-784848ebd8be