Windows 10: While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

Discus and support While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Was making a usb drive for re-installing windows, and the media creation tool failed with an error something went wrong! Now the usb drive is readonly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joe Tannenbaum, Nov 10, 2021.

1. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

Was making a usb drive for re-installing windows, and the media creation tool failed with an error something went wrong! Now the usb drive is readonly and could not be undone. My usb drive is now unusable. Tried: Diskpart, and several 3rd party apps. Also tried on a linux machine with hdparm and gparted to no avail. How can I undo this readonly?

:)

Joe Tannenbaum, Nov 10, 2021
  2. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Nov 10, 2021
  3. zbook Win User
    install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Nov 10, 2021
  4. Ztruker Win User

While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Nov 10, 2021
Thema:

While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

1. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone - Similar Threads - While making media

2. how to USB flash drive installation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to USB flash drive installation media: Create installation media USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-usb-flash-drive-installation-media/41a6beb2-5ea2-44ba-a938-8c094f6c0e35
  3. how to USB flash drive installation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to USB flash drive installation media: Create installation media USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-usb-flash-drive-installation-media/41a6beb2-5ea2-44ba-a938-8c094f6c0e35
  4. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone: I was preparing a format usb for 22H2 version. Then this this happened. You owe me a new usb drive! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/while-making-windows-media-usb-flash-drive-got-set/376e6805-7230-4f5c-b536-e2c875fe80e6
  5. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone: I was preparing a format usb for 22H2 version. Then this this happened. You owe me a new usb drive! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/while-making-windows-media-usb-flash-drive-got-set/376e6805-7230-4f5c-b536-e2c875fe80e6
  6. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone: Was making a usb drive for re-installing windows, and the media creation tool failed with an error something went wrong! Now the usb drive is readonly and could not be undone. My usb drive is now unusable. Tried: Diskpart, and several 3rd party apps. Also tried on a linux...
  8. While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While making windows media, usb flash drive got set to readonly and cannot be undone: Was making a usb drive for re-installing windows, and the media creation tool failed with an error something went wrong! Now the usb drive is readonly and could not be undone. My usb drive is now unusable. Tried: Diskpart, and several 3rd party apps. Also tried on a linux...
  9. Readonly USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Readonly USB Drive: Hello, A few days ago, my USB drive was corrupted for an unknown reason. I wasn't able to recover any of the data. Now, the USB is completely unusable, in a RAW state, and every time I try to enter it, a message appears saying that "You need to format the disk in drive D:...
  10. Make USB Flash Drive

Make USB Flash Drive: I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?: 8461