Windows 10: While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

Discus and support While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently both my wife and mys computers started thinking they were in Amsterdam resulting in a timezone update while working from home. With my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hunter Wolf, Apr 20, 2023.

1. While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

Recently both my wife and mys computers started thinking they were in Amsterdam resulting in a timezone update while working from home. With my computer I am able to turn off access to my device location which means that my location is reported correctly even down to my address. I am confused why with the location services on it would be so inaccurate. I have tried things like resetting my router as well as doing a factory reset. Some of the troubleshooting I have tried and additional details:I have removed all other devices from the network and only used my router and one of the impacte

:)

Hunter Wolf, Apr 20, 2023

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 20, 2023
  3. Windows 10 location Service

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.
    • Are you using domain network?

Location controls might be turned off or on, and you may be unable to change these settings, if you’re using a device assigned to you by your workplace, or if you’re using a personal device at your workplace. If that’s the case, Some settings are managed
    by your organization will appear at the top of the location settings page.

I would suggest you to follow the below path and check if it helps.

• Select the Start icon on your taskbar, and then select Settings > Privacy > Location.

I would suggest you to check if the Geo Location service is enabled and started. If not you have to Enable and start the service. follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Geo Location services.
    • Right click on it.
    • Go to properties and change start up type to automatic.
    I would also suggest you to check refer the suggestions from the below article and check if it helps.

Windows location service and privacy - Microsoft Support

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Apr 20, 2023
  4. While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

Gurus how do Windows computers browse network for new computers

Microsoft choose not to upgrade the Computer Browser service when deprecating SMB v1.0. Microsoft decided we don't need Computer Browsing anymore and can work around not having it.

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

I don't think samba supports the WS-Discovery protocol. Samba 4 may.

shockwaveriderz, Apr 20, 2023
Thema:

While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

1. While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it... - Similar Threads - While device has

2. While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...: Recently both my wife and mys computers started thinking they were in Amsterdam resulting in a timezone update while working from home. With my computer I am able to turn off access to my device location which means that my location is reported correctly even down to my...
  3. While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...

in Windows 10 Customization
    While my device has the location services on while on my home network my computer thinks it...: Recently both my wife and mys computers started thinking they were in Amsterdam resulting in a timezone update while working from home. With my computer I am able to turn off access to my device location which means that my location is reported correctly even down to my...
  4. i think my device has a malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i think my device has a malware: my device is acting a bit weird. can anyone reply and ill reply with the farbar recovery scan tool result? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-think-my-device-has-a-malware/c778d011-9b04-4598-ae6f-50acd688fc72
  5. i think my device has a malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i think my device has a malware: my device is acting a bit weird. can anyone reply and ill reply with the farbar recovery scan tool result? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-think-my-device-has-a-malware/c778d011-9b04-4598-ae6f-50acd688fc72
  6. i think my device has a malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. My Computer thinks it is a mobile device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer thinks it is a mobile device: My computer does not have a touch screen and thinks that i am playing on mobile. I tried doing many things but i can’t find anything to change it back to the old version. I can’t play a lot of games because they are games not for mobile. Some buttons in games dont work...
  8. My Computer thinks it is a mobile device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer thinks it is a mobile device: My computer does not have a touch screen and thinks that i am playing on mobile. I tried doing many things but i can’t find anything to change it back to the old version. I can’t play a lot of games because they are games not for mobile. Some buttons in games dont work...
  9. My devices disappear in settings after my computer is on for a while and only reappears...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My devices disappear in settings after my computer is on for a while and only reappears...: Hello, I would appreciate it if someone could help me with my Bluetooth and other devices in Settings. I have Windows 10 Education and I use a USB Bluetooth dongle. Before my issued occurred, my Bluetooth and other devices had all my devices listed like this: [ATTACH]...
  10. My computer thinks it is a mobile device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer thinks it is a mobile device.: My computer thinks it is a mobile device. Some apps on my computer are acting like the computer is a phone. The keyboard doesn't work sometimes because it thinks I can use the pop-up keyboard that normally comes out when typing on a phone. I have searched online and have...