Windows 10: White flash when opening File Explorer

Discus and support White flash when opening File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 3f_Cyd86lu4 Whenever I open This PC (File Explorer), I see a momentary white window before it loads in dark mode. Never had this problem before.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jj2016, Apr 26, 2019.

1. jj2016 Win User

White flash when opening File Explorer

[youtube]3f_Cyd86lu4[/youtube]

Whenever I open This PC (File Explorer), I see a momentary white window before it loads in dark mode. Never had this problem before. Recently, I was trying to remove some leftover files from the registry and I think after that, this has started to happen. I reinstalled Windows 10 (keeping all files and apps) but still problem persists. Enabled Admin account to see if it happens there and it does! How can I fix this?

:)

jj2016, Apr 26, 2019
  2. Deuce642 Win User

windows 10 file explorer opens for a split second then crashes

This problem occurs if I try opening any folder or file explorer itself for example:

• an existing file folder with files in it that is on my desktop,
    • opening the file explorer from the taskbar (I have since unpinned it as this was suggested as a fix in some forums)
    • opening file explorer using the start menu
    • opening file explorer using the windows key + E
    In each case the explorer dialogue box will pop up momentarily then disappear again (perhaps a second or 2 sometimes, other times just a flash.)

So far I have tried:

• ensuring that windows 10 is totally up to date
    • run the sfc scannow - this came up with no error found
    • made sure that the settings for file explorer were set to opening at 'this pc'

I am absolutely out of ideas. Can someone please help?

Deuce642, Apr 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 26, 2019
  4. White flash when opening File Explorer

File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Apr 26, 2019
Thema:

White flash when opening File Explorer

1. White flash when opening File Explorer - Similar Threads - White flash opening

2. White flash when un-minimizing, maximizing, or opening applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    White flash when un-minimizing, maximizing, or opening applications: Using dark mode on windows, if unminimizing file explorer it flashes white. If I unminimize Notepad++, it flashes white. Easier to see when 'Minimize/Maximize animations' are set to 'off' There's a quarter-half second of a blindingly white app then back to whatever color...
  3. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not opening when choosing from START: I'm curious if others are experiencing the following anomaly: 1) File Explorer is "pinned" to the Start menu (Windows 7 style view, i.e., not full menu) 2) File Explorer is opened from the Start menu (first time) -- File Explorer opens with no trouble or time delay 3) File...
  4. White blank screen when open an app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White blank screen when open an app: I got white blank screen when open some program, but it's still click-able button if i can found the button location. Like if i click the "cancel" button it will close the program like if its normal. this is the example of "white blank screen" when i run docker. It's not...
  5. Change file explorer only, to white??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change file explorer only, to white??: After the latest 'big' update, how do I get the file explorer windows (This PC folders, etc) to stay white? If I select the dark theme, it changes everything to black. I only want the Windows settings window to remain dark/black... 119034
  6. White Screen Flash When Opening Firefox 60 or 61

in Browsers and Email
    White Screen Flash When Opening Firefox 60 or 61: A white screen flashes when I open Firefox 61 Beta 4 and it is very annoying. Does anyone know about a fix for this? 109932
  7. Choose a default location when opening File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose a default location when opening File Explorer: Hello, Is it possible to choose a default location/folder to open when opening File Explorer from the task bar? Default is that it opens Quick access. I use OneDrive a lot, and would really like to see that I could set that to open that location. Is it possible to set...
  8. Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer: So we have a label printing program that the manufacturer built in a nice little "If WindowsVersion > 7 Then t('.'t)" message. We upgraded all officially supported by Dell machines to Windows 10, and we tested the program with Compatibility Mode set, everything worked fine....
  9. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915
  10. File explorer will not open when set to This PC

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer will not open when set to This PC: Either from a shortcut or a taskbar icon, File Explorer will not open to This PC. When I change to Quick access it opens. A shortcut to any folder will open to This PC. I suspect this has to do with a recent update (KB3140741). I can live with the situation as I normally use...