Windows 10: white icons on desktop

Discus and support white icons on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, I just redid windows 10, installed most of my programs, why are there white icons on the desktop? I have 13 icons, 10 are white, is it a corrupt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sidycat411, Jan 8, 2020.

1. white icons on desktop

OK, I just redid windows 10, installed most of my programs, why are there white icons on the desktop? I have 13 icons, 10 are white, is it a corrupt file somewhere? I thought I would have a like new laptop when I did this but far from it, nothing but more problems.

:)

sidycat411, Jan 8, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 8, 2020
  4. white icons on desktop

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

white icons on desktop

1. white icons on desktop - Similar Threads - white icons desktop

2. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...
  3. Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.: I have plenty app icons on my desktop but they seem to have disappeared. This happens every time I boot my PC after installing the latest Windows update. If you need any more information feel free to request it - thanks. [IMG]...
  4. Desktop icons font in white. Can't read on white background.

Desktop icons font in white. Can't read on white background.: Hi, My desktop icons fonts are in white. Can't read on white background. Have latest Windows 10 home update. Please advise. Thanks, Joe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-font-in-white-cant-read-on-white/8d4eef1a-3233-4e69-85bd-7bcb7cfa1ae4
  5. WHITE ICONS IN DESKTOP MODE

WHITE ICONS IN DESKTOP MODE: Tablet Mode is ok I have written about this before and it was suggested that I use windows creation tool to fix the problem I did that twice but it still very much the same prior to that was given some commands for command prompt so copy and pasted them and did it manually...
  6. White border on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White border on desktop icons: [img] Apologies if this topic has been discussed -- can't find it in Search. How can I get rid of the border? 124992
  7. White Icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White Icons: Hi. I got a issue with my pc, after today released update, games icon became white. Things were like this, firstly i got update today in the morning and i didi restart as how should it be and then everything were perfectly fine. I turn off pc and after couple of hours when i...
  8. White, blank, desktop icons

White, blank, desktop icons: Hello, My problem is this: All of the desktop icons for websites that I have loaded on my desktop suddenly all turned to white, blank icons. They were installed using the drag & drop method, which also no longer seems to work. What is the solution? I have tried to remove...
  9. White Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White Icons: Forgive me girls and boys if I am in the wrong section for desktop issues. My brother has recently installed Windows 10 and has one annoying issue; all of the desktop icon shortcuts that pertain to Windows apps are fine but the ones that are url shortcuts are white; as if...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...