Windows 10: White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo

Discus and support White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So as you may know HP & Lenovo/IBM has an odd policy of white listing only few models of Wifi cards for a reason that they vaguely explain that they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 14, 2018.

1. White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo

So as you may know HP & Lenovo/IBM has an odd policy of white listing only few models of Wifi cards for a reason that they vaguely explain that they pay dear money to license each replacement card with FCC where i am not really sure why this trend only applies to just both of them but then i guess seeing that they sell their licensed cards at 150$ where intel marks them at 20~25$ tops might hint is all about corporate greed .

I came to all these information as i tried to upgrade to an affordable wireless ac card that was only about 21$ where i found that my only options were either to pay same amount to get a used licensed one that is 7 generations behind with basic features or the very same legacy licensed card only new from Lenovo costing 150$ where i doubt selling the laptop itself used would grant as much .

So basically i did my research and found that this had been on for a while and there are few options that surfaced , where either we dump our bios files and head to the deep web and ask a hacker to modify bios for us to remove white lists check , which while sounding pretty much disturbing is the favorite choice of all or trying to replace the new chip ids by older one's which would trick bios into believing its whitelisted and boot .

The only set back into such solution is that it all revolves around Linux and i cant really say i could follow any of these tutorials as they require good knowledge of Linux .

The trick is simple in nature , you run certain command that retrieves your current chip id then download and install another command that would allow editing chips ids then rather switch cards while laptop is booted as to bypass the whitelist check then do the replace ids .

Now my question , anybody know how this can be done in windows world ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 14, 2018

2. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

keep us posted. i'll be interested in this as i've been wanting to do one for a while.

Chicken Patty, Nov 14, 2018
  4. HiSpeed Win User

White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo

Best mini PCIe 802.11ac card...

Because some people say the BIOS has a white list...

HiSpeed, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo

1. White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo - Similar Threads - White listing Mini

2. PCIe devices listed in command prompt.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIe devices listed in command prompt.: Hello I am using Windows 10 latest build and want to ask something about PCIe devices. When I was using Ubuntu I used to see the command :- "lspci" in order to list devices that are unable to use because I have not installed their drivers.So I tried to find equivalent command...
  3. Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue

Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue: After updating to windows version 1909 thunderbolt PCIE card stop working. Update the bios to latest version and update the thunderbolt software but it didn't fixed. but when roll back to 1808 it work fine. Any Suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks, Alam...
  4. Reliable plug-and-play Mini PCIE WiFi card for laptops?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reliable plug-and-play Mini PCIE WiFi card for laptops?: Hi all - I own 2 older Acer laptops with Broadcom WiFi cards that all have issues with WiFi randomly disconnecting, or NOT automatically reconnecting upon wake-from-sleep or on boot. I've seen several family member's laptops with the same issue...also with older Broadcom...
  5. Reliable plug-and-play Mini PCIE WiFi card for laptops?

Reliable plug-and-play Mini PCIE WiFi card for laptops?: Hi all - I own 2 older Acer laptops with Broadcom WiFi cards that all have issues with WiFi randomly disconnecting, or NOT automatically reconnecting upon wake-from-sleep or on boot. I've seen several family member's laptops with the same issue...also with older Broadcom...
  6. Mini Card Reader

Mini Card Reader: How do I use my Mini Card Reader with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mini-card-reader/1d0a3e63-4c6a-40d9-bfcf-77cdcc1e1d9c
  7. White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White-listing a Mini-PCIe card to work on Lenovo: So as you may know HP & Lenovo/IBM has an odd policy of white listing only few models of Wifi cards for a reason that they vaguely explain that they pay dear money to license each replacement card with FCC where i am not really sure why this trend only applies to just both of...
  8. PCIe network card crashing computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCIe network card crashing computer: Hi all, Issue : 10/28/2018 I'm trying to get my asus PCE-AC88 card working. I can boot to windows and the card works. Within a few minutes I get a blue screen of death. The screen doesn't even last long enough for me to catch the error code and the pc restarts. This will be...
  9. Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot: Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works. You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot. On...
  10. White List?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    White List?: Is there a white list that can be used with the UAC? I believe this would work rather well. When the UAC screen would popup, the user would have several options to choose from. First the user could select NO I don't want to run this program - end of discussion. Secondly the...