Windows 10: White paper icons in start menu apps

Discus and support White paper icons in start menu apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In my windows 10 start menu all my installed programs give a white paper (with curled right corner) icon. There are a few that give the original icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lobbes, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Lobbes Win User

White paper icons in start menu apps

In my windows 10 start menu all my installed programs give a white paper (with curled right corner) icon. There are a few that give the original icon but most of them do not.
    I tried a new clean install but that didn't help.
    I also tried:
    -SFC scannow gedaan met deze opdracht: sfc /scannow
    (heeft niets opgelost)
    -DISM gedaan met deze opdracht: dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    -Delete imoage cach
    -Rebuild image cach
    -Used another account
    -In the start menu folders the icons are as they should be
    I even installed classic shell for a while and the the icons are normal!
    So I think there is something wrong with my start menu
    I tried everything I could think of but nothings helps.
    It's anoying to see the wrong icons although when I click them de app opens normally.

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THE NORMAL ICONS BACK?
    Please help me out!!

:)

Lobbes, Aug 7, 2015

2. White paper icons in start menu apps

Hi,

Let’s follow below mentioned steps and check if that helps:

Step 1: Clean Boot

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. To know more, follow
    the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The same steps can be followed for Windows 10 operating system.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Step 2: Run SFC Scan and DISM commands

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click
    Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (Press Enter)

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Neha.Gupta, Aug 7, 2015
  3. White paper icons in start menu apps

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to Run the Windows apps troubleshooter
    from the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 7, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

By "image cache", mean "icon cache", right? Did do this? : Rebuild the Icon cache in Windows 7 | 8

5. Lobbes Win User
    Lobbes, Aug 7, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    What happens if right click the broken Firefox tile, click "Open File Location", right click the selected shortcut in the window that opens, click Properties, and click Change Icon? Under "Look for icons in this file", is firefox.exe selected, and are there Firefox related icons? Or does it say "imageres.dll"?

7. hawkman Win User
    The Icons usually goto White when you have installed a newer version of that program.

Delete the White open the program create shortcut should go back to normal.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Lobbes Win User

When I want to change the Firefox Icon the firefox.exe is selected and there are firefox related icons.

Lobbes, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Lobbes Win User
    I can't delete the white icon in the apps (start menu) I only can delete the whole program or copy the shortcut to the right side of the startmenu

Lobbes, Aug 7, 2015
  10. YOU
    You Win User
    To delete the broken icon in All Apps, go to All Apps, right click Firefox there and click "Open File Location", then delete the selected file in the window that opens, then drag the new Firefox shortcut into the window that opened.

11. Lobbes Win User
    Thanks fot your answer it helped a lot!

First it went wrong: if you use the original shortcut of a program and put it first on the desktop and then drag it in the file location of all apps from that specific program and then look in the start menu then it is still broken
    I found out that when you change the icon of the shortcut on the desktop (the icon has to be on a other location then the program) and drag it to the file location of all apps from that specific program then the broken icon is gone!!!

So i have IcoFX, I extracted a lot of original icons and moved them to a map that I have with modified icons

What I did:
    -I made a shortcut of every program with a broken icon on the desktop
    -Replaced the original icon with another icon
    -Right clicked on open file location of every program and deleted the selected file and dragged the new shortcut to the file location

It was a lot of work but all the broken links are gone also after restarting the computer.

But it should not be like this, there is a bug in my windows 10 and I don't know what it is!!!
    Since the 29th of july I installed windows 10 3 times, 1st over win7, 2st clean install, 3th over win10 itself.
    This is not the way it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I,m satisfied for now.

Again thanks for the tips

Lobbes, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Kranor Win User
    Any fix to this issue? I still have this problem on win 10 home following an upgrade from 8.1.

I have tried rebuilding the icon cache, thumbnail cache, SFC Scannow, remove and reinstall software, copying shortcuts from the different start menus (roaming vs all users)

All to no effect.....

Kranor, Nov 25, 2015
  13. White paper icons in start menu apps

FINALLY found a solution to this that works (for me at least) having tried most of the original suggestions.

Before upgrading, I'd created a junction from c:\windows\installer to another drive to save space on my SSD. When I looked, this junction still existed from the c:\windows.old\windows folder, but not from the active c:\windows\installer.

By copying the files from c:\windows\installer to my folder on the other drive, then creating a new junction, all the icons came back (some required a restart to refresh).

Hope this helps others with the same problem.

bananaman2015, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. White paper icons in start menu apps - Similar Threads - White paper icons

2. start menu apps icon are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu apps icon are missing: some of my start menu app icons are missing after the recent update . I don't know how to resolve it . please help me with that. [IMG][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-apps-icon-are-missing/a6c8ce29-e521-453e-b9c4-e630c8a0c195
  3. Why is there a white line under my start menu icons

Why is there a white line under my start menu icons: Why is there a white line under my start menu icons? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-there-a-white-line-under-my-start-menu/b71fb895-734f-4878-a3a7-7e0738efbcfd
  4. Weird white lines under apps in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird white lines under apps in start menu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/vandesm14 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iomnp4/weird_white_lines_under_apps_in_start_menu/
  5. White piece of paper on icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White piece of paper on icons: Well, this is new. Anyone know how to fix this that I'm sure was caused by me. LOL! [img] - - - Updated - - - Nevermind. Fixed it!! 157879
  6. Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons

Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons: Hello! My newly installed apps icons not showing ON TOP to start, only sorting alphabetically... Figured out this problem happening from this morning... tried to change some settings on 'Start' but not working, Please Help !! here is the picture[ATTACH]...
  7. Icons for many apps not showing in Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons for many apps not showing in Start menu: As per the image below - why are many of my apps not showing their icons? There's not options to change them and I've tried pinning the original .exe and shortcuts to the app but there is no difference. Any clues? [img] 10775
  8. Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon: Hi, After the recent update 1709 -- (The fall update I think) I've encounter issues with thumbnail previewer. I does not show thumbnail images but default icon instead [img] it wasn't my first time I've encountered this, It happened same thing on every updates. So knew...
  9. White paper icons and empty folders!?

in Windows 10 Support
    White paper icons and empty folders!?: Hello, I have windows 10 home operating system on my laptop I have a problem with my file folder. when I first open it it shows that it works fine. [img] However I've notice that on the left I see the OS and D drive as white icons. When i access any folders and then...
  10. Start menu icons/apps missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons/apps missing: Hi guys, Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved. The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu. Thanks, Gabriel. [img] 40753