Windows 10: White Screen when running Games

Discus and support White Screen when running Games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For a few weeks now my PC has been crashing when playing games. First it was sometimes a black screen and sometimes a few screen and as soon a the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hastalahansa, Sep 6, 2020.

1. White Screen when running Games

For a few weeks now my PC has been crashing when playing games. First it was sometimes a black screen and sometimes a few screen and as soon a the screen appeared a weird static noise appeared for a few seconds. A forced restart was needed to get the PC running again.

It only happened in games so I thought it might be the heavy load on my GTX 1080 that causes a crash. Maybe I had faulty or missing drivers or maybe my GPU is failing I thought. I tried DDU and updated the BIOS. That didn't help so I tried doing everything fresh by running the Windows Installation Media, deleting my Windows drive and installing it fresh. That also didn't help.

After that I was playing games on low settings which gave me more time in between crashes. After a few days without crashes I tried Ultra settings again and to my surprise I went 1-2 days without crashing!

Now I am here.

Also I noticed since the new Install that the crashes were now alway white screen where the sound was normally playing if some video was playing or an SFX from a game was looping for up to around 20-30 seconds before the sound goes silent. No more static noises which mostly appeared during the black screen crash if I remember correctly but I am not too sure and now they are gone anyways.

I did some more research and found something that pointed me towards the Reliability Monitor. There I found timestamps on the crashes since the installation of windows on the 31st of August.

Here we can see how a Hardware Error appears I suspect the GPU and me needing to force restart Windows:

White Screen when running Games 6b76e12b-59e2-4a54-ae02-9f5c632842d8?upload=true.jpg

Here are the technical details of the 20:58 and 20:59 error:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffffe50a10e7b460

Parameter 2: fffff8009004d740

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 1ae8

OS version: 10_0_19041

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 8192

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffffe50a10e7b460

Parameter 2: fffff8009004d740

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 3bd0

OS version: 10_0_19041

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 8192

I also tried a different PCIe slot today because why not and that also didn't help.

Also today I noticed under Device Manager/Display adapters that the Driver for the GTX 1080 is dated 12/08/2020 27.21.14.5206 which might be a little too early for the crashes but maybe not. I searched for an older Driver online but couldn't find one.

If there are more settings I can check please let me know.

At this point I am fairly certain that it's either faulty/missing drivers, even though I performed a clean Windows Install, or my GPU is just failing. For the latter I still need to find a way to test it reliably.

Also If this forum is not the best place then I would appreciate any suggestions for other forum to seek help.

:)

Hastalahansa, Sep 6, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

white screen after exiting game

Hi Alex,

Let us isolate your concern to help us determine what's causing the white screen after you exit the game. Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any recent changes or updates made on your laptop?
    • Did you run the World of Tanks game on the same laptop where you encountered the white screen after exiting the World of Warships?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from restarting the laptop?

We'll wait for your response.

Louie Del, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Roan T Win User

White Screen when running Games

Small white bar on right side of screen

Hi Bardan,

We'd be glad to provide assistance. To better narrow this down and deliver you accurate solutions, please answer
    the following questions:

• Is the white bar present regardless of what program you are using on your computer?

• Can you send us a screenshot of the
      white bar?
      Please edit the image if any personal information may be exposed.

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

This issue could also be related to
    damaged screen. We suggest that you contact your manufacturer to have your computer checked for hardware issues.

Regards.

Roan T, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

White Screen when running Games

1. White Screen when running Games - Similar Threads - White Screen running

2. Screen crashes when running games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen crashes when running games: This is me running a GPU benchmark. 5 minutes into the benchmark, small black squares started popping up and glitching around the screen. Usually it just blackscreens and I cant do anything, but i got one BSOD that had the error code of "Memory Management". This crash usually...
  3. White screen/crashing when launching games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    White screen/crashing when launching games: Hello, recently my PC has been crashing whenever i launch any video game. I've checked the temperatures of my components and it does not seem to be the issue, I've updated drivers and it hasn't fixed the problem.I checked the logs and here's what I found:The computer has...
  4. White screen/crashing when launching games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    White screen/crashing when launching games: Hello, recently my PC has been crashing whenever i launch any video game. I've checked the temperatures of my components and it does not seem to be the issue, I've updated drivers and it hasn't fixed the problem.I checked the logs and here's what I found:The computer has...
  5. White screen/crashing when launching games

6. Blue Screen when not running games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen when not running games.: Hello, I have been having blue screen issues for a while now whenever my PC is not running a high-intensity game. To fix this I have been having to run a game in the background in order to stop it from blue screening but now that isn't enough as I am stuck in a loop and can't...
  7. Blue Screen when not running games.

Blue Screen when not running games.: Hello, I have been having blue screen issues for a while now whenever my PC is not running a high-intensity game. To fix this I have been having to run a game in the background in order to stop it from blue screening but now that isn't enough as I am stuck in a loop and can't...
  8. Blue Screen when not running games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Black screen when running games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when running games: Hi,My pc used to be okay until one day the screen goes black when a game is running. I can still hear the game sound but the screen is black or mono color. From then it either stays like that or the game is automatically turned off and the screen comes back up again. I can...
  10. Black screen when running games

Black screen when running games: Hi,My pc used to be okay until one day the screen goes black when a game is running. I can still hear the game sound but the screen is black or mono color. From then it either stays like that or the game is automatically turned off and the screen comes back up again. I can...