Windows 10: White splash screen during start

Discus and support White splash screen during start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks, I have win 10 pro installed on my dell e6410. When I start my laptop I see very bright blank white splash screen for 2 seconds during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shanewatz, Sep 23, 2015.

1. shanewatz Win User

White splash screen during start

Hi folks, I have win 10 pro installed on my dell e6410. When I start my laptop I see very bright blank white splash screen for 2 seconds during the boot process. The sequence is as folows:

1- I press start button and it powers up
    2- Windows 10 logo screen appears
    3- Very bright white splash screen appears for 2 seconds(This is not normal as i don't see it on work computer which also have windows 10 pro )
    4- Then Windows 10 login screen appears and then everything normal.

Could you guys please help me get rid of appearance of this very bright white splash screen which appears during boot process as it is very annoying when you work in dark environment. I will be greatly thankful to you.

Regards, SW

:)

shanewatz, Sep 23, 2015

2. Stange FLASHES ON BOOT WINDOWS 10

When first booting up and the MSI Splash screen goes out there is a white flash and then a black screen then the wallpaper of windows 10.

The white flash has started since windows 10 upgrade. Seems there is some kind of bug as to the white flash.

Mark

MARKWIDERSTROM, Sep 23, 2015
  3. EemiTan Win User
    xbox music app

Does the splash screen come up? (the green background with white headphones on it)

Try rebooting your device

EemiTan, Sep 23, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

It may be related to your Video Card, or, check your Updates history, if you see KB3081444, remove it. If your system installed it, you are lucky you can even boot with that installed. But it did similar things to me until I got rid of it.

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  5. shanewatz Win User
    Thanks for the information. I removed KB3081444. It did not fix the problem. Then I updated the NVS3100M driver. It did not fix ther problem either. The white splash screen does not appear when I restart. It always happen on cold start or when I wake up the laptop from hibernation.

shanewatz, Sep 23, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    Well it's a laptop- does it have s touchscreen? It's odd that it only happens from a cold start. A boot from hibernation is also a kind of cold start.

It might have to do with the bios or Video bios of the laptop. Usually at the time you say it shows the bright flash, it should have no video output whatsoever. On all of my windows 8 and 10 PCs after the initial boot logo shows, my HDTV shows the "No Data" signal. Most laptops I have used windows 8 or 8.1 on also did this.

Your laptop is responding to that no signal time by sending a bright flash of all colours rather than showing a dark screen.

You say during a reboot, it doesn't white-flash? Does it have a short period when it shows a totally dark screen?

This sounds like hardware, your backlight might be staying on when it should be totally off.

If you ever had any other OS installed, did it do the same thing?

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  7. shanewatz Win User
    Thanks for the update. It does not have touch screen.During reboot it shows black screen instead of white screen at the same time and for same duration. I used to have windows 7 pro. With win 7 never had this issue. Regards

shanewatz, Sep 24, 2015
  8. Hydranix Win User

This may be related to how Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 handle the BIOS splash screen. They propagate the BIOS logo to the Windows loading animation in an attempt to make the POST to OS process look seamless.

Try updating you BIOS. Head to your computer manufacturer website and look for a BIOS update in the drivers/software downloads for your device. Be sure both your battery is charged and the laptop is plugged in before updating the BIOS. I recently had to desolder an eeprom and use a raspberry pi to reprogram a BIOS onto the chip when the boot block got clobber by my not being careful. Plug came loose right as update began. didn't notice and the battery was very low...

Hydranix, Oct 11, 2015
  9. shanewatz Win User
    Updated bios to new version. Still smart problem. But random now. Happens sometimes and does not happen sometimes.

shanewatz, Oct 13, 2015
  10. nb20 Win User
    Wow finally I've found someone else with the same problem! I have this too and I can't find any information on it what so ever!

Have you resolved this!? Did a BIOs upgrade help?

I just bought a new laptop and upgraded from win 8.1 to 10 and swapped out my HDD for a SSD. My laptop has an onboard intel as well as a nvidia graphics card.

During the boot (cold boot only!) I get this white flash before login screen and then everything is normal. This doesn't happen during a restart!

All my graphics drivers are up to date!

Can anyone help!?

Thanks

11. Doverboy Win User
    Looks like OP had no other questions, so it appears the new BIOS worked for him.

But I'm curious whether your BIOS version has a setting where you can disable the logo screen, or change the duration. I might try looking through the BIOS Bootup Parameters before flashing the BIOS.

Otherwise, it's time to flash your BIOS. Good luck!

Doverboy, Dec 2, 2015
  12. nb20 Win User
    Thanks for the response. I updated to the chipset drivers and I thought all was well for a day or two, but that's not the case. I went to the HP website for my computer model; however, there's no driver for a BIO's update, so I can't try that.

13. Doverboy Win User

Remember a BIOS update is different from a driver update. Typically a BIOS update requires a "Flash Update" and is more involved than updating a driver.

If you list your system specs, folks might be better able to assist you. You can either update your profile or list them in a response.

Have you confirmed whether your BIOS is the most recent version for your machine? Again. go to the manufacturer's website and compare listed versions available to download and compare it with what you have installed.

If you are using the most recent version, I would suggest setting Default or Optimized Settings within your BIOS and then reboot to see if it has any effect.

If that doesn't work, then I'd start looking at individual drivers. You mentioned you recently updated some of them. It might be better to allow Windows to manage all drivers on your machine instead of choosing yourself.

If none of that works, then it's down the path of running sfc /scannow to see whether there might be some corruption in your OS, DISM options to try and repair any problems found. And then in-place reinstalls, which are much simpler in W10 and relatively painless (usually).

Keep us posted!

Doverboy, Dec 5, 2015
  14. july240 Win User
    I have a Dell E6410 laptop like the original poster. Mine does the same thing-flash white on cold start up, no flash on reboot. I updated bios before win 10 upgrade from win 7. Has anyone found any different solutions to this problem?

july240, Feb 9, 2016
  15. Hydranix Win User
    This problem of the white screen when booting sounds to me like it's happening prior to the OS's bootloader being bootstrapped.

If that's the case, then no Windows driver will have any effect on the issue. Updating the BIOS will likely fix the issue as the BIOS currently on the laptop was probably written before Windows started using the BIOS logo splash as the Windows loading image.

Dell is very large and successful computer company, so the chances are very high that they would correct an issue like this quickly.

After looking through the changelogs for the BIOS updates dell offers for the E6410, I see no mention of a BIOS splash screen fix. This kind of fix though is very likely to be one that isn't documented, as it's only a cosmetic bug, and Dell doesn't often document cosmetic bugs, for whatever reason... (At least in my experience, I've seen typos in the text in Dell's BIOS settings utility get fixed without being documented, though I recognize there is a considerable difference in exposure of these 2 problems.)

To anyone who wants to attempt the BIOS update. Do note that a BIOS update involves the erasing of a "chip" (EEPROM) on the laptop's motherboard, which only after being erased can be written to again. For the period of time after the erasing up until a fully successful rewriting, its critical that the machine be both plugged in but also have a charged battery. Otherwise your laptop will bricked, and likely be far beyond your ability to repair it. Weigh the risks against the possible gains first.

Please double and triple check that the machine this link refers to is exactly your laptop.
    E6410 - Dell Support (Including BIOS Updates)

Hydranix, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

1. White splash screen during start - Similar Threads - White splash screen

2. Open a window to black 'splash' instead of white

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open a window to black 'splash' instead of white: How does one change the color any given window that opens to black instead of blinding white?Any time I open a window, whether it be chrome, file explorer, or whatever, the window flashes white then renders whatever is supposed to be there. It's for less than a second, but...
  3. Open a window to black 'splash' instead of white

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open a window to black 'splash' instead of white: How does one change the color any given window that opens to black instead of blinding white?Any time I open a window, whether it be chrome, file explorer, or whatever, the window flashes white then renders whatever is supposed to be there. It's for less than a second, but...
  4. Dell Splash Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Splash Screen: Hello everyone The issue I'm encountering is quite annoying but I guess it can be considered minor. So this is the issue, when starting up my PC the Dell splash screen pops up and the bar starts to load, but only goes up halfway and doesn't progress further unless the USB...
  5. Start up / Logon /Splash screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start up / Logon /Splash screen: A while ago the startup/logon/splash screen has been putting the monitor to sleep about 2-3 minutes after the machine is booted up. The sleep time with power on is set to turn the screen off after 20 minutes if the power is on and never put the computer to sleep. how do I...
  6. Black screen with No Splash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with No Splash: So basically what I did was that I opened my whole pc and cleaned the dust and then I reassembled it back but now, whenever I press the power button I dont get the splash screen [Dell] and my screen only shows blinking white cursor. I cannot even access Bios. My specs:...
  7. Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 running latest-greatest Win10. The problem began after I installed an AHCI driver as I moved the machine from the RAID mode to AHCI mode in BIOS. I undid the RAID configuration a while back but it stayed configured in the RAID mode and...
  8. Freeze/ Splash Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze/ Splash Screen: Hi all. I wasn’t sure which sub-forum to put this in (not having a BSOD, but, this is a technical “error” issue), but thought I’d post it here. Ever since I've had Windows 10 (2015?!), this issue I'm about to describe pops up intermittently. Sometimes months & months can go...
  9. splash screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    splash screen: how can I use the splash screen as background 66324
  10. Crashing during Splash screen for Battlefield Hardline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing during Splash screen for Battlefield Hardline: Hello, I am running Battlefield Hardline on my high end computer. The problem is that I get random crashes on the splash screen of the game either at the beginning of a game or when transitioning between games. It is random. I have no idea what causes this and any help...