Windows 10: Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access?

Discus and support Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How would I do this? Looking at the recent block stuff, the pathway looks like this. Is there a way I can tell Windows 'if it comes from WSL, let it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/coding_man, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access?

How would I do this? Looking at the recent block stuff, the pathway looks like this.

Is there a way I can tell Windows 'if it comes from WSL, let it through'? Or is that insecure in nature? I have the controlled folder thing protecting my attached Google drive folder, but would still like to be able to manipulate it from the command line, and don't want to be continually spammed with these messages about changes being made.

submitted by /u/coding_man
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/coding_man, Jan 8, 2021
  2. Jsssssssss, Jan 8, 2021
  3. REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

We need a way to disable individual default Controlled Folder Access protected folders.

As of this writing, the only way to install and use many programs, especially games, is to disable Controlled Folder Access entirely. Example: Many game applications require write access to the user's Documents area to save progress and this cannot be changed,
    especially in legacy cases. Whitelisting every installation program, every executable, every temporarily created plugin installer for every application is not feasible for our usage case and that of many others. Upgrading to Windows10 and having this "feature"
    forced on us brought production to a screeching halt, eventually forcing us to totally disable Controlled Folder Access for all Windows 10 stations and revert to Windows 7 on all other stations.

Hypothetical Scenario: Installer executable that requires write access to the user's Documents folder is created in a TEMP directory and is whitelisted; Malware masquerades as whitelisted file; ALL Controlled Folder Access protected folders are then toast.
    If only we had the ability to remove the default protected folders, only the Documents folder would be lost and knowing that the Documents folder was unprotected, nothing important would have been stored there. In an environment where dozens of programs are
    installed and tested every day, the current forced settings are unacceptable.

Please, would some intrepid engineer/technician/ethical hacker/hero kindly fix this or suggest a proven and repeatable workaround because it will save the day for many and elevate you to the status of living legend?

[Humor]

WARNING: Replying to this post with answers similar to "That cannot be done." or "You just allow each application through the Controlled Folder Access." or "That would be the same as turning Controlled Folder Access off completely." or "That is ransomware
    protection and it is by design..." or any other response deemed solely by me to be not useful, productive, or extremely funny will automatically declare that you consent to the transfer of the ownership of your soul to me or an affiliate of my choosing in
    perpetuity. After a period of 672 hours from posting transfer of soul ownership consent, all souls collected may be transmogrified to biscuits and consumed. Post carefully. (^~^)

[/Humor]

Nyarlathotep Tech Support, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access?

Ransomware attack in Windows 1809 - Please help

I agree again.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access?

1. Whitelisting WSL in ransomware controlled folder access? - Similar Threads - Whitelisting WSL ransomware

2. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  3. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  4. WSL Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Controlled Folder Access: I was playing around with the new Windows Security features and came across the Controlled folder access setting under Ransomware protection. Can this also be enabled for directories in WSL?If so, how would I go about configuring this?...
  5. WSL Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Controlled Folder Access: I was playing around with the new Windows Security features and came across the Controlled folder access setting under Ransomware protection. Can this also be enabled for directories in WSL?If so, how would I go about configuring this?...
  6. Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TeamsMe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gqba9o/controlled_folder_access_ransomware_protection_in/
  7. Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?: Nowadays, ransomwares are considered great risks for users. They infect system and encrypt your files and ask you to pay money to gives you the key to decrypt them. Even if you made payment, there is no guarantee to get back all your files and paying them would make...
  8. Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...: When I was on build 1809 with ransomware protection enabled, I only got alerts for 3rd party programs trying to write to the controlled folders. Friday, Windows updated to 1903, and now I'm getting alerts that it is blocking Windows system files and services from protected...
  9. Whitelist for User Access Control

Whitelist for User Access Control: I am the admin on my machine, Windows 10. I have a few apps, like a VPN, that invoke the UAC pop up every time they run. Can I white list certain apps as I have approved them and don't want the annoyance of UAC. I'm aware that I could turn it off but I don't want to open...
  10. Ransomware cotrolled folder access

Ransomware cotrolled folder access: Hi I'm not able to turn on "controlled folder access", the option to turn on is greyed out, any idea thanks Costa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-cotrolled-folder-access/ad891b77-bbb7-4451-a6d6-98a94127d524