Windows 10: Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

Discus and support Who else runs Win 10 in a VM? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I was turned on to the idea by swarfega from my Windows 10 Decrapifier post. I find it so funny as I have been in computers for a lot of years. Not to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Lance1, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Lance1 Win User

Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

I was turned on to the idea by swarfega from my Windows 10 Decrapifier post. I find it so funny as I have been in computers for a lot of years. Not to say that I've never ran VM's I have but just for testing things not to run another permanent OS. Anyway I downloaded VMware Workstation 15 Player, "I'm going to purchase the pro version cuz I like VMware" installed and setup Win10 64bit. I gave it 4GB out of 16GB RAM and created a 120GB .vmdk file to live in. It lives on a 1TB drive with 750GB free space so lots of room for expansion. Another cool thing is is that it's so easy to backup seeing that it lives in a single folder. I just run my EaseUS Todo File backup, drop it to the taskbar and work in Win7 so I'm never stuck for an OS. Although that would never happen in my place with all the systems I have at hand. I'm not saying that running 2 OS's in this way is new! Not in a long shot. I'm just curios how many of you folks do this as the norm as I do now? I find it very convenient to instantly jump from OS to OS and work with specific applications for ether Win10 or Win7. So how about it. Are You? O! If you curios about Configuring a Virtual Network Also look at the PDF.

:)

Lance1, Jul 6, 2019
  2. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Jul 6, 2019
  3. Physical Machine Restore Image (Win 8.1) to New VM (on Win 10)

Hello everyone,

I made a Windows Image Backup of Windows 8.1 Pro on 7/29/15 before doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Win 10 is up and running. I got Hyper-V running. i want to now have my old working everything installed version of Windows 8.1 pro running in a VM
    on the Win 10 machine.

I cannot seem to restore the backup image.

I have gotten close and it has taken forever to get there.

I tried installing a new Win 8.1 Pro VM and then restoring the image: Failed.

I tried an empty new VM with an empty drive, boot to 8.1 pro iso and then recover: Failed.

I get this a long error that ends with (0x80042412).

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrick Brewer

Edit #1: 7/31/15: No replies yet, I guess I am the only one.

Patrick A. Brewer, Jul 6, 2019
  4. Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

Win 10 running Winxp on VM

I am running Win 10 pro, I have installed WinXp on a Virtual machine, everything is running fine, but i can not instal software on my Winxp VM, i have tried dvd,cd discs& usb flash, i can not find any options to allow me to do this. i have read the help
    files and it says click options and select etc but i do not have the option for options??

paulDB1970, Jul 6, 2019
Thema:

Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

1. Who else runs Win 10 in a VM? - Similar Threads - else runs

2. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME DEBUG PROBLEM RUNNING THE BOSE SOUNDTOUCH APP IN WINDOWS 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME DEBUG PROBLEM RUNNING THE BOSE SOUNDTOUCH APP IN WINDOWS 10...: As inthe title does anyone have a solution for running the Bose SoundTouch App both windows 10 and 11any help appreciated or has my pc turned my DAB music centre into an expensive cd/radio...
  3. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME DEBUG PROBLEM RUNNING THE BOSE SOUNDTOUCH APP IN WINDOWS 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME DEBUG PROBLEM RUNNING THE BOSE SOUNDTOUCH APP IN WINDOWS 10...: As inthe title does anyone have a solution for running the Bose SoundTouch App both windows 10 and 11any help appreciated or has my pc turned my DAB music centre into an expensive cd/radio...
  4. wifi slow on pc despite everything else running perfect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi slow on pc despite everything else running perfect: I have an older pc Optiplex 7020 and I recently replaced my wifi router. no matter what I try reconfiguring wifi settings, futzing with the adapter settings, full factory reset etc. my wifi is unbearably slow. It reads as perfectly fine but it doesnt even let me open...
  5. wifi slow on pc despite everything else running perfect

wifi slow on pc despite everything else running perfect: I have an older pc Optiplex 7020 and I recently replaced my wifi router. no matter what I try reconfiguring wifi settings, futzing with the adapter settings, full factory reset etc. my wifi is unbearably slow. It reads as perfectly fine but it doesnt even let me open...
  6. wifi slow on pc despite everything else running perfect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Anyone else having issues with Windows Installer service not running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else having issues with Windows Installer service not running?: About a week ago, we started having issues with .msi files not running. I tried several different .msi files and they all would not start.I turned off the anti-malware software and we still cannot start .msi files.When we uninstall the anti-malware software and immediately...
  8. Anyone else having issues with Windows Installer service not running?

Anyone else having issues with Windows Installer service not running?: About a week ago, we started having issues with .msi files not running. I tried several different .msi files and they all would not start.I turned off the anti-malware software and we still cannot start .msi files.When we uninstall the anti-malware software and immediately...
  9. Anyone else having issues with Windows Installer service not running?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. anyone else update in the past week and now have all windows built in apps running...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    anyone else update in the past week and now have all windows built in apps running...: Updated to whatever the latest windows 10 update was last week. Now Calculator and Basic built in "photos" apps basically don't load/work.Also my computer now takes forever to come out of sleep mode.Anyone else? Any solutions? This was a security update so figured it was...