Windows 10: Who is accessing my location?

Discus and support Who is accessing my location? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I just had a popup notification telling me some app was accessing my location, but none of the apps I was using were supposed to be doing that. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/constableVisit, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Who is accessing my location?

So I just had a popup notification telling me some app was accessing my location, but none of the apps I was using were supposed to be doing that. I disabled location access from the settings, but I want to know which app it was so that I scrub it. Any ideas?

submitted by /u/constableVisit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/constableVisit, Jun 21, 2020

2. Quick Access - "Location is not available"

Have just done Windows 10 update from 8.1 - very smooth well done MS!

Have encountered one small problem. In Windows Explorer have discovered "Quick Access" list. Clicking on one folder gives pop-up box "Location is not available" . Displays path which does not exist plus some suggestions as to what might have happened. If
    I right click on folder in list and select "Remove from Quick Access" nothing happens.

How do I get rid of this folder from the list?

Adagio-of-Wight, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Quick Access - "Location is not available"

I can’t seem to delete an unpinned folder that is listed in Quick Access in the navigation pane..
    A dialogue box comes up telling me that it is not in the location that it is supposed to be in.
    I have looked at the suggestions here, but they all deal with a PINNED folder on Quick Access.
    I’ve tried them all, but none of them work. In my case, the folder that can’t be located is an UNPINNED folder.
    I know that these unpinned folders are ones that are frequently accessed and they disappear after a while when they are no longer frequent.
    But, this unpinned folder is never going to disappear, because it will never be located.

I think I know how this happened. The folder in question is the SYSTEM Downloads folder.

1. Somehow, this SYSTEM Downloads folder was moved to C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches, so its path became C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads.
    But, a DELL agent who was trying to help me sort things out, deleted this SYSTEM Downloads folder.
    I discovered this when I clicked on the Downloads icon to the very left of the Start Menu, because a dialogue box came up that told me that c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads could not be found.

Who is accessing my location? b936c351-eb39-44f6-b035-10fff7cbab21.png

So, I retrieved it from the Recycling Bin. A few days later another DELL agent was trying to figure out how to get it back to being a SYSTEM folder that was listed and locatable under This PC.
    Suddenly, the SYSTEM Downloads folder appeared in Dropbox because somehow the “Downloads” box at Dropbox >
    Preferences > “Syncing Selective Folders” had gotten checked (I did not ever check it and after I got everything back in shape, I unchecked it and the box has remained unchecked ever since, as you see below).

Who is accessing my location? fcca100f-30a5-42a6-8b22-d6b1d505be01.png

I finally resorted to copying onto a flashdrive the contents of the SYSTEM Downloads folder that was on Dropbox and I then stopped Dropbox from storing the SYSTEM Downloads folder by unchecking the box. Afterwards, I put the system Downloads folder where
    it should be by right-clicking on the SYSTEM Downloads folder under This PC, by clicking on Properties in the context menu, by selecting the “Location” tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and by changing the location back to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.

Who is accessing my location? f1e4881f-a6c9-418b-abf7-60a175103959.jpg

The folder was empty, so I then put all of the contents of the flashdrive’s Downloads folder back onto the PC into the SYSTEM Downloads folder at C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads

But, Quick Access still thinks that its entry for the SYSTEM Downloads folder should be at c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches, which is where it *used* to be and when it was unpinned (which is why it is listed at the bottom, I think). But, as I said, in
    the first paragraph, clicking on this unpinned Downloads folder in the Quick Access listing yields a dialogue box, telling me that it is not at c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\ where it expects it should be.

Who is accessing my location? 3420ca72-05b2-425d-934d-f96ef6bb960a.png

Note that there are two “Downloads” listed in Quick Access. The pinned one is the SYSTEM Downloads folder at the location C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.
    The unpinned one is the SYSTEM Downloads folder at the location where it *used* to be C:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads (and now is no longer locatable).

I would like to get rid of this incorrect, unpinned entry at the bottom of Quick Access, but cannot because the entry is unlocatable.
    So, this is my thinking to get the problem fixed, following the steps in this order:

1. Go to This PC, right-click on the SYSTEM Downloads folder to get a context menu, click on Properties,
    click on the “Location” tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and then change the physical location of the SYSTEM Downloads folder to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Searches\Downloads.
    (This is where Quick Access *thinks* that unpinned folder at the bottom of the list is.)

2. Then, in the Quick Access listing in the navigation pane, right-click on this unpinned folder at the bottom of the list, and click on “remove from Quick Access” in the context menu that comes up.
    I am thinking that it will be removed from Quick Access since the computer now knows where it is (because of step 1) and that it will only be removed from Quick Acess and will not be removed from the computer.
    Am I right?

3. Finally, go back to This PC, right-click on the SYSTEM Downloads folder to get a context menu, click on Properties, click on the “Location”
    tab in the dialogue box that comes up, and then change the location of the SYSTEM Downloads folder back to c:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads.

Will Step 2 remove the unpinned folder at the bottom of the Quick Access list?
    And after steps 1, 2, and 3, will I still have the Pinned SYSTEM Downloads folder at C:\Users\personalfoldername\Downloads and will it still have all of its contents?

KarenMullen, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Who is accessing my location?

Quick Access - "Location is not available"

I solved the problem without following steps 1, 2, and 3. The solution is stupidly simple and it doesn't make any difference as to whether the problem item in the Quick Access list is pinned or unpinned.

1. Create the folder in the same path where Quick Access reported it to be unlocatable. The folder will be empty.

2. Delete the folder you just created. The Quick Access item that WAS listed in Quick Access disappears!!

Note that #2 does not remove or delete the item from Quick Access. It deletes the empty folder you just created *from the machine* (i.e., it goes to the Recycle bin) and as a consequence of the deletion, it disappears from the Quick Access list.

KarenMullen, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Who is accessing my location?

1. Who is accessing my location? - Similar Threads - accessing location

2. I denied location access to a moon phases app only to find out they needed it to give me an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I denied location access to a moon phases app only to find out they needed it to give me an...: I denied location access to a moon phase app only to find out they needed it to give me an accurate calendar, Now I can not restore it. Help, please....
  3. I denied location access to a moon phases app only to find out they needed it to give me an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I denied location access to a moon phases app only to find out they needed it to give me an...: I denied location access to a moon phase app only to find out they needed it to give me an accurate calendar, Now I can not restore it. Help, please....
  4. I denied location access to a moon phases app only to find out they needed it to give me an...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to change location windows game bar recordings go after losing access to the hard drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change location windows game bar recordings go after losing access to the hard drive...: One of my hard drives broke and that's where my Captures folder was set to. I've tried moving my 'Video' folder over to the other hard drive but it did not create a 'Captures' folder. Settings -> Gaming -> Captures show my videos being saved to a /local/TEMP folder and the...
  6. How to change location windows game bar recordings go after losing access to the hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change location windows game bar recordings go after losing access to the hard drive...: One of my hard drives broke and that's where my Captures folder was set to. I've tried moving my 'Video' folder over to the other hard drive but it did not create a 'Captures' folder. Settings -> Gaming -> Captures show my videos being saved to a /local/TEMP folder and the...
  7. How to change location windows game bar recordings go after losing access to the hard drive...

8. I cannot locate advanced permission settings in order to let individual apps access my file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot locate advanced permission settings in order to let individual apps access my file...: Hi there,I am using RStudio for a university course and I need to be able to save R files to my file system. I am having difficulty figuring out how to give RStudio access to my file system on my Windows 11 computer. I tried going into my settings, to privacy and security,...
  9. I cannot locate advanced permission settings in order to let individual apps access my file...

I cannot locate advanced permission settings in order to let individual apps access my file...: Hi there,I am using RStudio for a university course and I need to be able to save R files to my file system. I am having difficulty figuring out how to give RStudio access to my file system on my Windows 11 computer. I tried going into my settings, to privacy and security,...
  10. I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.

I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.: I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is not available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-to-some-of-my-desktop-folders-it/71028c90-78ab-4c9f-aa6c-a2fbf7253fd6