Windows 10: Who knew? I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive.

Discus and support Who knew? I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Very Irritated. As the title stated, I was changing permissions to a printer for the network when windows 10 insider 21390 release 210521-1658 changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Atomantt, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Atomantt Win User

Who knew? I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive.

Very Irritated. As the title stated, I was changing permissions to a printer for the network when windows 10 insider 21390 release 210521-1658 changed all the permissions on C drive. I can still log into windows. However, no exe file or operation can be performed as a result of the change in permissions.I have tried the following:reboot. yea, really, it's usually an easy fix that onetakeown for the windows files and system files.icacls * /t /q/ /c /reset. However, I cannot run an elevated command prompt or any elevated account.It will not allow me to add or remove ac

:)

Atomantt, Jun 28, 2021
  2. Jstar333 Win User

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to request access."

Current windows 10 version is 1803 build 17134.345 x64.

None of the computers on the network have passwords and everything worked fine when using homegroup.
    Since home group was pulled in Windows 1803, I have setup network sharing following this Guide "option Seven"
    How to Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

This tutorial works just fine when sharing individual folders, but does not work when sharing an entire drive. I am not trying to share the system drive (CWho knew?  I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive. :) but I am sharing a local data Drive E: installed on one of the Intel Internal SATA Ports.

I actually got this to work by watching a "You tube" video but I do not understand why I need the extra step. I am hoping someone will have the answer.

In order to get drive sharing to work I had to Setup Advanced Sharing for the drive plus I had to add this extra step:

Under the drives properties: Security Tab: Group or usernames I had to add Everyone as one of the users and set permissions for Everyone.

Why do I need to setup Advanced sharing and the Security Tab to give permissions for an entire hard drive? This extra step is not needed when sharing individual folders.

Who knew?  I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive. [​IMG]

Jstar333, Jun 28, 2021
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jun 28, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Who knew? I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive.

C: Drive Admin Share Keeps Enabling

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +E,

• Right click on C: drive.

• Select Sharing Tab.

• Click on Advanced Sharing.

• Uncheck “Share this folder”.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Who knew? I was adding a shared printer and it changed permissions for the entire C drive. - Similar Threads - knew was adding

2. Adding to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding to C drive: I have been trying to add my new ssd onto my C drive for the past 3 days now but all the of the unlocated storage goes to disk 0 while the c drive is in disk 1. Is there a way to make the unlocated storage got to the other disk. Both storage devices are SSD...
  3. C drive Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  4. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  5. Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.

Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.: So I just clean installed Windows 10 version 1903 on a few of my computers. On one computer, I am trying to share the whole drive through simple sharing options but when I try to access that drive from another machine I get an unable to access due to permissions error....
  6. Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.: So I just clean installed Windows 10 version 1903 on a few of my computers. On one computer, I am trying to share the whole drive through simple sharing options but when I try to access that drive from another machine I get an unable to access due to permissions error....
  7. Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan: The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to request access." Current windows 10 version is 1803 build 17134.345 x64. None of the computers on the network have...
  8. Share entire drive in 1803?

Share entire drive in 1803?: I've read a lot of threads and articles on the weird new sharing principles in Win 10 v.1803. I've managed to be able to share individual folders successfully, but I'm still stuck when it comes to sharing the entire drive. When I try to do so via the only available option...
  9. Can't Share an Entire Drive

Can't Share an Entire Drive: I have a small home network. I do not use HomeGroup. I can happily share folders, but I can not share an entire drive. Whenever I do that, and set access permissions, the drive appears on the network, but nothing can access it. It always just says that I do not have...
  10. Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions?

Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions?: I was experimenting with using the DLNA feature on my Panasonic TV to access and play video files stored locally on one of my PC's. When I added the VIDEOS folder to the Windows Video Library the content in the folder suddenly became unseen by my Western Digital TV Live...