Windows 10: Who the email is really from...

Discus and support Who the email is really from... in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm coming back to the Windows world after about 10 years on the Dark Side (Apple). Actually Apple works fine as well. In my MBA mail app, if I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by starflyr, Jul 15, 2017.

1. starflyr Win User

Who the email is really from...

I'm coming back to the Windows world after about 10 years on the Dark Side (Apple). Actually Apple works fine as well.

In my MBA mail app, if I right click on the user name of inbound mail, I can see the real address. Very helpful when getting mail from a questionable source.

In my Windows 10 mail app, I don't see any way to see the real address of the sender. Every day or almost every day I get mail from some of these scam operators, often with a link to click on. From what I read, sometimes bad things happen when clicking on a scammer link. Is there any way to see the real address on inbound Windows mail?

:)

starflyr, Jul 15, 2017

2. Properties in the Windows 10 Mail App

Is there a way to see an email's properties, i.e. information as to where it's really from etc.) like you can in Windows Live Mail. It's useful when trying to ascertain if an email is bogus or not. Also it's the way Spam Cop traces the email to see who
    really sent it.

Bearwolf56, Jul 15, 2017
  3. personalisation of colours windows 10 - colour doesn't show true because overlaid on black

I'm now receiving emails from Microsoft to ask if this has been resolved! Is there really no one who can answer this?

microsoftdisplayname, Jul 15, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

If you left click on the one/two letter abbreviation of the sender in the preview pane (I don't know the real name, it has an arrow in the picture below) it shows the senders email address.

Who the email is really from... [​IMG]

While this can rule out obvious fakes (paypal emails coming from a gmail address for example) the senders address can be faked - see phishing - How can you fake an email address? - Super User.

I wouldn't click on a link from anyone purporting to be my bank for example but rather just go to their website and see what they want.

5. starflyr Win User
    For lack of any other name, maybe it's a user logo (icon). YES, it works. Another reason to check this "icon" for the senders real address is certainly plishing along with the obvious spam (especially the evil doers).

Thanks for the tip.

starflyr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Who the email is really from... - Similar Threads - email really

2. Hello, is thise emailadress "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" really from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, is thise emailadress "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" really from...: greetings gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-is-thise-emailadress-really-from-microsoft/858c1c30-027b-420d-8049-bc80001ad00d
  3. Hello, is thise emailadress "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" really from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello, is thise emailadress "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" really from...: greetings gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-is-thise-emailadress-really-from-microsoft/858c1c30-027b-420d-8049-bc80001ad00d
  4. Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really...: Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really desperately need this as it has a direct debit linked to it. Is there a way I can find it?...
  5. Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really...

Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really...: Hi. I recently created a new email account but can not remember the email address. I really desperately need this as it has a direct debit linked to it. Is there a way I can find it?...
  6. Is this a scam email or does this person really have access to such things he claims?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a scam email or does this person really have access to such things he claims?: Yesterday, I received a sextortion email. This really freaked me out because the email was sent to multiple emails in my family. The email also included some of my family's frequently used passwords. Can anyone reassure me that this isn't real please?...
  7. Is this a scam email or does this person really have access to such things he claims?

Is this a scam email or does this person really have access to such things he claims?: Yesterday, I received a sextortion email. This really freaked me out because the email was sent to multiple emails in my family. The email also included some of my family's frequently used passwords. Can anyone reassure me that this isn't real please?...
  8. Is this a scam email or does this person really have access to such things he claims?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. This isn't really a question but I got the Window Defender Subscribtion Scam email also.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This isn't really a question but I got the Window Defender Subscribtion Scam email also.: The Email address they are using are <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> and <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> If these addresses are legit I would look into if they were hacked other wise you might be able to track who ever sending them with those...
  10. I need to know how to move something called a zip file to an email. I really need help as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need to know how to move something called a zip file to an email. I really need help as...: I have something called a zip file? I'm not that much into computers as I'm a senior citizen and I came late to the use of computers. I would like to know how to move this zip file? to an email. Any help would be appreciated. Please keep it simple for me. Technical jargon...