Windows 10: Why ACCESS DENIED if I'm Administrator?!

Discus and support Why ACCESS DENIED if I'm Administrator?! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro onto my desktop. I did not upgrade the system. During installation i created my own account. The account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by crosis, Feb 16, 2016.

1. crosis Win User

Why ACCESS DENIED if I'm Administrator?!

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro onto my desktop. I did not upgrade the system. During installation i created my own account. The account type is Administrator. I turned off UAC.

What i don't understand is i often get the message "Access Denied" or you are not an administrator. Huh? What is going on? I thought if my account type is Administrator i would have full unfettered access to my local PC. On top of that I have to consistently right click and select Run as Administrator for CMD. I tried modifying the HOSTS file yet when i go to save i receive the message "Access to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS was denied." For HOSTS i checked properties >> Security. The "Group or User Names" section states:

Can someone please explain to me the logic of all this?

For the record i am logging into my user account that is account type "administrator". There is also an Administrator account automatically created by Windows from what i can see at the startup screen. I am able to log into that Administrator account but i dont want to use a different account. I need for this craziness to be explained.

:)

crosis, Feb 16, 2016

2. apps

I followed steps to go to powershell and ran as administrator. I typed in link and response is access denied, why? I'm not getting anywhere, why is access denied? I type in link when powershell as adminstrator opens, then tap return and access is denied.
    What am I doing wrong?

George Di Leo

GeorgeDi Leo, Feb 16, 2016
  3. I downloaded the refresh tool for Windows and I get access denied. Why?

I downloaded the refresh tool for windows and I get access denied why?

* Moved from Insider

* Original title: access denied

johncervantes1, Feb 16, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

That has not been the case since XP. That was OK when XP was released. It is not OK now.

Having a full time unrestricted admin account is convenient, but not very secure. The problem is that if you accidentally run a malicious program, and that is very difficult to avoid, it will have your unrestricted access as well and take full advantage of it. That is bad.

Starting with Vista an admin account by default has only the rights of a standard account. Only upon request do you have the full admin rights. With only standard account rights malicious software will be very limited in what it can do. That s good.

UAC cannot be fully turned off by with the control panel. It can be done but this is not advised. You will find many things do not work with such a full time admin account. Windows was not designed to work this way.

UAC is a compromise between convenience and security. Security always has it's price, and not just with computers.

LMiller7, Feb 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Why ACCESS DENIED if I'm Administrator?! - Similar Threads - Why ACCESS DENIED

2. I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account: performed a recovery because pc was running slow. no problems with recovery. now however, I cannot install a certain driver update. Only 1 out of 14 fails, says I don't have admin privledges. All others installed fine.tried all suggestions i could find on this site. still...
  3. I'm administrator but am getting denied access to everything that requires an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm administrator but am getting denied access to everything that requires an...: Reply from RaviDixit==============Your case might fall into two scenario: Either you are not able to log-on into the Administrative account at all or the other case would be that you are able to log-in into your administrator account, but when you are trying to access any...
  4. I'm administrator but am getting denied access to everything that requires an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm administrator but am getting denied access to everything that requires an...: Reply from RaviDixit==============Your case might fall into two scenario: Either you are not able to log-on into the Administrative account at all or the other case would be that you are able to log-in into your administrator account, but when you are trying to access any...
  5. Administrator Denied Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Denied Access: I am the administrator on Windows 11 Pro and can not view all folder in file explorer. When trying to view the folders in “C:\Users\All Users”, I am denied access.This a home computer and I am the only user/account. How do I gain access to my own computer?...
  6. Administrator Denied Access

Administrator Denied Access: I am the administrator on Windows 11 Pro and can not view all folder in file explorer. When trying to view the folders in “C:\Users\All Users”, I am denied access.This a home computer and I am the only user/account. How do I gain access to my own computer?...
  7. Administrator access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator access denied: Hi guys accidently on my window 11Education version a I deleted administrator account and now I'm facing problem because unable to install any software because my laptop ask for administrator privilege to install any thing...
  8. Administrator access denied

Administrator access denied: Hi guys accidently on my window 11Education version a I deleted administrator account and now I'm facing problem because unable to install any software because my laptop ask for administrator privilege to install any thing...
  9. Access denied being an administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access denied being an administrator: So, Yesterday I did a fresh install of windows 10 as I connected my SSD so now I have my old HDD as a disk to just use to put regular stuff in and my OS on the SSD to boot up fast etc. Now, I tried to install the realtek drivers to disable the front jack panel detection as...
  10. Administrator denied access to files

Administrator denied access to files: I'm having issues with installing iTunes. The previous iTunes libraries will not open as it says I don't have permissions. I've tried to change permissions and I have to have authority to do that. How do I fix this? Debbie...