Windows 10: Why all my Jar. Files appear in the notepad app

Discus and support Why all my Jar. Files appear in the notepad app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have been experiencing a recent issue regarding the fact that if I try to download a .jar file it opens in notepad. I am open to any suggestions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SI_ASH, Dec 22, 2020.

1. SI_ASH Win User

Why all my Jar. Files appear in the notepad app

So I have been experiencing a recent issue regarding the fact that if I try to download a .jar file it opens in notepad. I am open to any suggestions on how to fix this issue. I need it so I can download them in java but either that just won't work or my computer doesn't like Java because I have it installed and it still won't use it. I can't seem to find a solution and I am fairly ne to windows as I just migrated from the completely barebones system of Mac Catalina. Thank You.

:)

SI_ASH, Dec 22, 2020
  2. YentlWX Win User

.jar file opening with notepad

Hey, i have a problem with opening my .jar files.

i wanna open my .jar files with java but it opens with notepad. how can i fix this?

YentlWX, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Dec 22, 2020
  4. NateHoopu Win User

.jar files opening in internet explorer

I have the same problem, I accidentaly switched a .jar file to open with internet explorer, or notepad, I can't remember, and I forgot to unselect set it to the default, and now I can't get back to the java thing, please help.

NateHoopu, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Why all my Jar. Files appear in the notepad app - Similar Threads - Why Jar Files

2. I can't execute .jar files at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't execute .jar files at all: good afternoon everyone, I can't open .jar files on my windows 11 laptop.I've tried most of the fixes that pop up online:-reinstalling Java;-opening as administrator with the JavaTM Platform SE Binary;-I have my system up to date;-I tried changing variables on the system...
  3. unknown .jar executable file that suddenly appeared on my pc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown .jar executable file that suddenly appeared on my pc: Hello, I recently discovered an unknown .jar file on my Windows system that occupies 5.8GB of storage. I'm concerned it might be malware or unwanted software. I've taken the following steps but would appreciate your guidance: Ran a thorough scan using AVAST antivirus, which...
  4. unknown .jar executable file that suddenly appeared on my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown .jar executable file that suddenly appeared on my pc: Hello, I recently discovered an unknown .jar file on my Windows system that occupies 5.8GB of storage. I'm concerned it might be malware or unwanted software. I've taken the following steps but would appreciate your guidance: Ran a thorough scan using AVAST antivirus, which...
  5. unknown .jar executable file that suddenly appeared on my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  7. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.: As the subject says, I set the app that .jar files open with to Notepad. Now, whenever I try to run the files, I get the error "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I fiddled around with it for a while, but I was unable...
  8. Set my default app to open with for .jar files to Notepad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. jar files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    jar files: I downloaded a jar file but accidentally connected it to a app so when ever i open it it opens the app. I dont want it to do this and its not letting me fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-files/9c374df5-9af7-46de-99b1-65251c3cc902
  10. jar files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    jar files: Hi! I have downloaded a jar file before and haven't had this problem so this is new to me. I downloaded the .jar file onto my desktop and when I went to look for it on my desktop, it was not found. I went to quick access and opened up the file location and my desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Note pad jar