Windows 10: Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

Discus and support Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by trippap, Mar 3, 2024.

1. trippap Win User

Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?

:)

trippap, Mar 3, 2024
  2. RickC Win User

Asking for Network Credentials

Sounds like a 'persistence' issue, i.e. A has the credentials to access B 'stored' with the 'persistent' flag set but B doesn't have the credentials to access A stored persistently (or it's corrupted), hence the request.

Try:

1. Open Credential Manager (in B's Control Panel, i.e. Start > Search > control > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager).
    2. Open Windows Credentials (on the right-hand side).
    3. Search for (and remove) any credential for A (in case it's corrupt).
    4. Use Add a Windows credential to add a new network access credential for A (by entering the network address [e.g. computername], Username and Password then click on the OK button.
    If all goes well, when this completes you can open the credential and should see Persistence: Enterprise mentioned underneath the Password field:

Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none? 280272d1590498575t-asking-network-credentials-persistent_credential.png

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 3, 2024
  3. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Mar 3, 2024
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 3, 2024
Thema:

1. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none? - Similar Threads - Why being asked

2. Why am I being asked for a Windows password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being asked for a Windows password?: Recently my laptop had an issue and I had to send it to get repaired. I got it back today and I now i have to sign in to everything again, which isn't a problem. However I am not logged into my windows account which means I had to log back in. So to do this I went into...
  3. Why am I being asked for a Windows password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I being asked for a Windows password?: Recently my laptop had an issue and I had to send it to get repaired. I got it back today and I now i have to sign in to everything again, which isn't a problem. However I am not logged into my windows account which means I had to log back in. So to do this I went into...
  4. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?: Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?...
  5. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  6. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  7. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?

Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?: I have an older Windows Home Network v1 computer that I use a lot for network storage. Lately, when I want to access a share on that machine, I get the pop up window that asks me to "Enter Network Credentials." I enter them, and it's fine. But why do I have to do this at all?...
  9. Asking for Network Credentials

Asking for Network Credentials: I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both appear in the other's File Explorer. A can access B but when tries to access A it gets an "Enter Network Credentials" message....
  10. Why am I not being asked for a password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why am I not being asked for a password?: uSW10Pro V1803 In the dialog "User Accounts" (via netplwiz.exe), the cbox "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." is checked. The box has a single admin user, me. If I logout (even shutdown) and later attempt access, I am not required to use a...