Windows 10: Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?

Discus and support Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an older Windows Home Network v1 computer that I use a lot for network storage. Lately, when I want to access a share on that machine, I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidPotts6, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?

I have an older Windows Home Network v1 computer that I use a lot for network storage. Lately, when I want to access a share on that machine, I get the pop up window that asks me to "Enter Network Credentials." I enter them, and it's fine. But why do I have to do this at all? Until recently, I never had to. My Windows login which is a Microsoft account is the same as my account name on the server, with the same password.Credentials for this machine are entered in the Windows Credential Manager.I have turned off password protected sharing in Control Panel, and also enabled sharing for devices

:)

DavidPotts6, Sep 3, 2021
  2. RickC Win User

Asking for Network Credentials

Sounds like a 'persistence' issue, i.e. A has the credentials to access B 'stored' with the 'persistent' flag set but B doesn't have the credentials to access A stored persistently (or it's corrupted), hence the request.

Try:

1. Open Credential Manager (in B's Control Panel, i.e. Start > Search > control > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager).
    2. Open Windows Credentials (on the right-hand side).
    3. Search for (and remove) any credential for A (in case it's corrupt).
    4. Use Add a Windows credential to add a new network access credential for A (by entering the network address [e.g. computername], Username and Password then click on the OK button.
    If all goes well, when this completes you can open the credential and should see Persistence: Enterprise mentioned underneath the Password field:

Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"? [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

RickC, Sep 3, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Hi Steve,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after an update, you get a prompt to enter network credentials to access files over network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, if you have never used credentials to access files over network, you may want to check the network settings and see if Password protected sharing is turned off. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to control panel > Click on
      network and internet >
      Click on network and sharing.
    2. Click on Change advance sharing settings
      on the left pane.
    3. Turn off password protected sharing.
    4. Click on Save changes

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 3, 2021
  4. dudley Win User

Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?

network issues, unable to enter network credentials

I upgraded two desktops to Win 10 (one from Win 7 and one from Win 8.1). I have issues with setting up a network.

First, I tried to set up a homegroup and I failed (i already posted another question on this subject with no luck so far). OK, forget about the homegroup, lets do it without it.

At this point, desktop A can see shared folders and a printer on desktop B - I did have to enter network credentials. Desktop B however cannot. It can see the desktop A under Network but when I click on it, it is asking to Enter network credential to connect to A. When I do that, it says that the user name or password is incorrect (and I am using the same user name and password that I use on desktop A to log on). What am I missing?

Both computers are on the same Workgroup "WORKGROUP". BTW - and I am not sure if that is relevant - when I try to enter credentials on desktop B and it is asking for User name and Password, just below it says "Domain: " - is my logging name.

Thanks for any suggestion.

dudley, Sep 3, 2021
Thema:

Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"?

1. Why am I being asked to "Enter Network Credentials"? - Similar Threads - Why being asked

2. Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them: This is new. I just ran a Windows update and since the post-update-reboot it won't let me connect to the USB drive attached to my router. Windows 11 complains that the username and password that are saved are wrong. They're not. But even if they were, I'm not given the option...
  3. Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them: This is new. I just ran a Windows update and since the post-update-reboot it won't let me connect to the USB drive attached to my router. Windows 11 complains that the username and password that are saved are wrong. They're not. But even if they were, I'm not given the option...
  4. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?: Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?...
  5. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?: Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?...
  6. Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter network credentials: This is odd. I have a Windows laptop and HP desktop, both with Windows 11. In the past I could easily share files/folders between the two, but now it asks for network credentials user name and password. I have no clue what to put there, and what is worse, I didn't need to...
  7. enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enter network credentials: When trying to access other computers or my nas on my network I get the prompt to enter my network credentials. I can access them through remote access, or in the case of my Nas, the windows store app but not through file manager.I have tried every combination know to man, My...
  8. I am being asked to enter “power-on password”

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am being asked to enter “power-on password”: Greetings! I am in need of help! I bought a HP All-In-One Desktop from WalMart a year ago and I barely use this computer. I turned it on recently and it is asking me to enter a “power-on password”, mind you, the only password I ever created was the one for my profile. Can...
  9. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...
  10. Why am I not being asked for a password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why am I not being asked for a password?: uSW10Pro V1803 In the dialog "User Accounts" (via netplwiz.exe), the cbox "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." is checked. The box has a single admin user, me. If I logout (even shutdown) and later attempt access, I am not required to use a...