Windows 10: Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

Discus and support Why am I being forced to change my PIN? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am told that "my organisation" requires me to change my PIN. There is now a "PIN Requirements" link saying I need at least 5 digits and sequences not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rawleJeremiah, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

I am told that "my organisation" requires me to change my PIN. There is now a "PIN Requirements" link saying I need at least 5 digits and sequences not allowed. This is my own PC, not any organisations. I've had the same PIN quite happily for some long time and I don't want to change it. What's going on?

:)

rawleJeremiah, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User
    Arun B J, Jun 28, 2020
  3. IntRins2 Win User
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

I had tried altering the policy settings on the original installation without success. I had not tried it on the rebuild because I suspected it would cause problems. Rightly so, as I have now tried it.

On the one hand, I can allow alpha sequences, "aaaa" is accepted. This is crazy, why is this OK when "1234" is not? But then plain numeric PINs are disallowed, at least one alpha is required (not just permitted), so the existing accounts which were still
    working OK are being forced to change their PINs. Removing the requirements does not get out of this trap, the PINs have been invalidated.

And also, an Enter key is required, a completed PIN is no longer detected automatically. This does not work for me, because I am trying to sign in blind, without seeing the lock screen and PIN dialog box. This is because the screen blanking on switching
    user causes my monitor to go to sleep for some long time before it redisplays, and I don't need to wait for it if I can just keep hitting the required key until I get into the session. No doubt that's a minority issue, but there is no need to force a "more
    secure" PIN on people who don't need it, just because some noisy corporate types have been shouting. My PC is in a safe place and only I use it, it doesn't need any more security.

I have now reverted the PC to v1607/build 14393, removed it from the Insider program, and deferred feature upgrades to delay being subjected to this issue as far as possible. There's nothing in 1703 that I'll miss, quite the opposite, I'll go back to having
    CMD available in Explorer.

I have already posted in Feedback Hub, I will add a link to this thread.

IntRins2, Jun 28, 2020
  4. IntRins2 Win User

I had discovered that. In fact it is wrong, the settings are in System, not Windows Components, they have been moved in v1703 just to confuse me further. I only discovered this after careful study of Windows10andWindowsServer2016PolicySettings.xlsx. See:

Why am I being forced to change my PIN? aa2b6a0b-776a-4a5c-a664-0396e3420ab6.png

And also see that none of these policies had been configured, far less enabled. So why did I have to change my PIN? Why is there no setting to control the disallowance of sequences? I cannot get rid of this and I need to, to make using this multi-account
    PC practical.

I have temporarily and partially fixed it by clean-installing v1607, setting up the accounts with the desired PINs, and upgrading to v1703. The PINs are currently being accepted, but I am expecting them to be expired after the default 6 weeks. And I cannot
    set up a new account without being trapped by the sequence requirement.

This is unacceptable interference with my PC. You can see how much of my time it is wasting. Turn it off. I don't need it and I don't want it.

IntRins2, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Why am I being forced to change my PIN? - Similar Threads - Why being forced

2. Why am I being forced to change my PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN: “Your organization is requiring you to change your PIN to meet minimum digit requirement.” Out of the blue message on the Lock Screen requiring me to change my PIN. I am not an organization. I do not belong to an organization. Why is there suddenly “an organization” dictating...
  3. Why am I being forced to change my PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN: “Your organization is requiring you to change your PIN to meet minimum digit requirement.” Out of the blue message on the Lock Screen requiring me to change my PIN. I am not an organization. I do not belong to an organization. Why is there suddenly “an organization” dictating...
  4. Why am I being forced to download Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being forced to download Windows 11?: About a month ago my desktop computer downloaded an update for Windows 11 22h2 and asked me for a time to restart. I have a laptop that received the same update but had an option to stay on Windows 10. Earlier today I sucked it up went through the download and immediately did...
  5. Why am I being forced to download Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I being forced to download Windows 11?: About a month ago my desktop computer downloaded an update for Windows 11 22h2 and asked me for a time to restart. I have a laptop that received the same update but had an option to stay on Windows 10. Earlier today I sucked it up went through the download and immediately did...
  6. Why am I being forced to download Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. why am i being forced to change my pin to the same pin?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why am i being forced to change my pin to the same pin?: Why when i logged in it told me I absolutly have to change my pin. I used the same pin. what is the point? I'm in the middle of a project and it wasted about an hour of my time....
  8. I am being forced to change my pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am being forced to change my pin.: As I continue to use my pin to get into my computer when it's locked, around every 6 weeks a notification will come up that my organization requires me to change my pin. I have tried to do letters and change settings around this to make a more secure password thinking this...
  9. why am I being force to use a pin number

in Windows 10 Customization
    why am I being force to use a pin number: Please let me know how to stop computer from asking for a pin number? why do you keep asking for me to get a pin number that I do not want? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-being-force-to-use-a-pin-number/730f9660-8686-460a-9f0c-88cd43d1ca78
  10. Why am I being forced to change my PIN number?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN number?: I am aware that this question has been previously asked, but it seems that this question was not fully answered. Since the password is only for logging into the computer itself, why does it appear that "my organization" required me to change my PIN number? I've only had my...