Windows 10: Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU?

Discus and support Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] According to this page on MS Support, it's only related to Intel microcode updates for specific Intel CPUs, however I have an AMD Ryzen 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PCxforeverx, May 21, 2020.

1. Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU?

/u/PCxforeverx, May 21, 2020
  2. pvrcs Win User

windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released states:

"Spectre Variant 4 ( white paper ) got
    discovered at Google's Project Zero. Like Specter Variant 1, this vulnerability can be plugged into customization in applications, with Specter V1's existing measures benefiting Specter V4 as well. However, to prevent the gap from being exploited through other
    means, Intel and Partners have decided to re-adjust the CPU microcode as well. It also contains countermeasures against variant 3a, which cost no performance. Variation 4 affects
    AMD, ARM, IBM and Intel."

I am experiencing a performance hit in my video editing software. But THIS is why you received the update though you have an AMD cpu.

Found this today -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c0rozj/downloaded_kb4465065_intel_mitigation_on_ryzen/

KB4465065: Intel microcode updates
    Important Install this update for the listed processors only.

However comments in this article say

- It's a microcode update, you have nothing to worry about.

- Perhaps these mitigations are coded to NOT activate on an AMD CPU.

- If this is a microcode update then this CAN NOT activate on an AMD processor and it wouldnt even work/allow it.

Yes Spectre 4 affects AMD processors but this update was for listed Intel processors only.

Why is it that we can find information online but Microsoft can't tell you anything or even reply to my support email????

pvrcs, May 21, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 21, 2020
  4. Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU?

Updating AMD Driverswindows 10 how to update the AMD drivers without any of their Private Branding components

Hi,

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    If the issue still persists then i suggest you to contact the AMD manufacturer support website and check if it helps.

Please refer the below link for the same.

http://support.amd.com/en-us

Hope this helps regarding updating the AMD display drivers. Please contact us if you are facing issues further we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU?

1. Why am I being offered this update with AMD CPU? - Similar Threads - Why being offered

2. Windows Update are not being Offered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update are not being Offered: Many of our Windows 11 computers are not pulling the latest updates, and we have to install them manually. This is what we have done, 1. Run the troubleshooter for Windows updates 2. Run DISM / online /cleanup-image /restorehealth3. sfc /scannow4. Reset Windows update...
  3. Windows Update are not being Offered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update are not being Offered: Many of our Windows 11 computers are not pulling the latest updates, and we have to install them manually. This is what we have done, 1. Run the troubleshooter for Windows updates 2. Run DISM / online /cleanup-image /restorehealth3. sfc /scannow4. Reset Windows update...
  4. What is cumulative update preview and why am I offered that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is cumulative update preview and why am I offered that?: I'm working on Windows 11 without joining the Windows Insider Program, but Windows Update is trying to install things like:2022-07 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5015732My question is: why am I offered a "Update Preview" even...
  5. What is cumulative update preview and why am I offered that?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is cumulative update preview and why am I offered that?: I'm working on Windows 11 without joining the Windows Insider Program, but Windows Update is trying to install things like:2022-07 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5015732My question is: why am I offered a "Update Preview" even...
  6. Why are AMD CPU's being excluded from Winows 11 Upgrades?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are AMD CPU's being excluded from Winows 11 Upgrades?: My Pc passes all the minimum standards, apart from having an Intel Processor, it had an AMD anthalon CPU and is excluded from windows 11 upgrade? Why is is so Microsoft?...
  7. Why am I offered KB5005611?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why am I offered KB5005611?: According to the description in Windows support KB5005611 is only available for Insiders that are in the Release Preview Channel.I am not an insider. I am not on the release preview channel whatever that means. My build is 19042.1237 which is not one of the builds listed for...
  8. Why am I offered preview version updates?

Why am I offered preview version updates?: Since 2 months or so, I am getting offered "preview version" updates on Windows Update. Like now there is "KB4576947 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework ... ". I am not on Windows Insider or whatever, so why am I getting preview updates instead of finished updates?...
  9. Why am I not being offered any updates for Win 10 since 12/24/2019?

Why am I not being offered any updates for Win 10 since 12/24/2019?: I have not been offered any updates via Windows Update since 12/24/2019. When I try to do a manual update using Check For Updates, it says I am up to date. It was working fine prior to 12/24 for 7 months since I got this computer. I am on Win 10 Version 1909 OS Build...
  10. Why am I never offered an update to Version 1809?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why am I never offered an update to Version 1809?: I have Win 10, Ver 1803. I'm wondering why I'm never offered an update to Ver 1809 when I access: Start > PC Settings > Update and Security > Check for updates Thanks 127335