Windows 10: Why am I getting explorer.exe and mmc hangs?

Discus and support Why am I getting explorer.exe and mmc hangs? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am constantly getting mmc and explorer hangs, error code 1002, type cross thread. I have run sfc /scannow which reports no errors I have run DISM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gjones-uk, Jun 19, 2020.

1. gjones-uk Win User

Why am I getting explorer.exe and mmc hangs?

I am constantly getting mmc and explorer hangs, error code 1002, type cross thread.

I have run sfc /scannow which reports no errors

I have run DISM which reports no errors

I have started using diagnostic restart and the problem persists

Windows is up to date with Build No 19041.329

If I choose any of the Windows Administrative Tools, they work for a few seconds then crash.

Randomly my screen flashes and the Taskbar disappears. The only way to restart is via Crtl Alt Del

Display drivers are up to date

Any ideas where I can go to try to fix this?

:)

gjones-uk, Jun 19, 2020
  2. zephyrus Win User

some .exe files hang

In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must reboot to regain access to the .exe file. sfc /scannnow shows no errors.

Any suggestions?

zephyrus, Jun 19, 2020
  3. SarahKong Win User
    File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Jun 19, 2020
  4. kd833 Win User

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

kd833, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Why am I getting explorer.exe and mmc hangs? - Similar Threads - Why getting explorer

2. WHY I AM NOT GETTING UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHY I AM NOT GETTING UPDATE: Recently i had to reinstall windows11 for some reason and after installing i get version 21H2 and i am still waiting but i dont get update for 22H2 or 23h2 can somebody help me if anything to do so pls tell me a way without data loss and pls i directly want to get 23H2....
  3. Why am I getting BSODs?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why am I getting BSODs?: Hello, my PC was built within the last two years and I've had on and off issues with it crashing for no apparent reason. Today it crashed and had a BSOD while watching twitch.. and I hadn't changed the stream or even moved my mouse in over an hour..What's the deal?The...
  4. Why am I getting hacked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting hacked?: What program or app would be able to hack me through my browser ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-getting-hacked/e7e1d774-61f4-4f77-be0e-4c173d24cc49
  5. Why am I getting hacked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why am I getting hacked?: What program or app would be able to hack me through my browser ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-getting-hacked/e7e1d774-61f4-4f77-be0e-4c173d24cc49
  6. Why am I getting this error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting this error?: Why am I getting this error? Is it because I'm on windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-getting-this-error/48b2a930-04e1-4bac-bd07-5616bf8c75ee
  7. Why am I getting this error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I getting this error?: Why am I getting this error? Is it because I'm on windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-getting-this-error/48b2a930-04e1-4bac-bd07-5616bf8c75ee
  8. Why am I getting this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why am I getting this?: From the past few days I have been observing this [ATTACH] Is this an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-getting-this/8907b6a8-7b2f-4a67-a9c0-b2dac403f968
  9. Why Am I Getting These ?

in Browsers and Email
    Why Am I Getting These ?: Whenever I click on a link in my email I get one of these errors seen in the attached file. I posted in a different forum about this a month ago and was told to do something in the browser security area to fix this issue. It did fix the issue....for a while and now its back....
  10. Why am I getting this Popup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why am I getting this Popup?: Hi Support, Since an update to my Win10 2 days ago I've been getting this popup when the computer logs in. [ATTACH] I bought this computer with Win10 installed for personal use. It is a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16 from 2017. Thank you, Christian Moir...