Windows 10: Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer

Discus and support Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey guys, so around march 2019 I got a dell xps 15 9570 late 2018 model. Specs: IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 12 CPUs, ~2.2GHz GTX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jay_437, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Jay_437 Win User

Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer

Hey guys,

so around march 2019 I got a dell xps 15 9570 late 2018 model.

Specs:

IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 12 CPUs, ~2.2GHz

GTX 1050ti max q edition

16gb ram

512 gb of SSD with about 238 gb left

4tb external hard drive I don't run games off of it however

It's been pretty good to me from running unreal engine and visual studio at the same time, using Inventor and Fusion, editing videos, we development, Arduino coding you get what I'm saying. But, lately I have been trying to run games on my PC. I have a 4k touchscreen, so it's automatically capped at 60hz, but I'm assuming once I get a a good monitor, that will go up. For the most part, I get a constant 50-60 frames with vsync off, however it tends to drop to around 25-45........ A LOT. I mainly play destiny 2, which is a pretty fast paced game meaning even the slightest of frame drops can mess with your aim since everything is about precision. However on other games, like assassins creed black flag or fortnite, it stays at a consistent 60 frames maybe dropping once or twice in a 1 hour playing period. So basically, I am trying to figure out how to optimize my PC to get stable frames, and not so much higher frames.

Things I have already done:

- downloaded Razer Cortex to boost game performance helped a little

- Turn off vsync helped a lot but still getting those 40 frames and a lot of screen tear which is why I want to eventually turn it back on once I fix the issue

- Turned everything in game to low settings and capped it at 60 frames

- cleaned up my computer

- I changed my computer to game mode in settings

- I dabbled in the nvidia settings

- I disabled a lot of start up tasks in the beginning when I launch up my laptop

- Updated the graphics drivers

- What I think the issues are:

- Possibly the graphics card, but I think a 1050ti max q edition should be able to hold 60 frames. Solution could be an external GPU

- Heating : the dell xps 15 gets hot REALLLLYYYYY HOT. It gets super hot even when I'm just using chrome. Solution could be to buy a cooling pad

- 4k screen: maybe the 4k screen is too much for my laptop to handle? but I'm not running games at 4k so I don't know what the issue would be with that

- Power options: Although I changed dell power manager to ultra performance, I cannot seem to get the power options in the control panel to work. One, I can't see high performance. Two, when I click on create custom plan, high performance still isn't even an option to choose.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

:)

Jay_437, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer

1. Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer - Similar Threads - Why getting many

2. Why I'm I getting to so many bluescreen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I'm I getting to so many bluescreen.: My pc has been showing the blue screen of death a lot. Some of the error message are "system service exception", "unexpected store exception", and "critical process died". I believe there are some more but I can't remember the name of them. I tried updating my driver but it...
  3. Why I'm I getting to so many bluescreen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I'm I getting to so many bluescreen.: My pc has been showing the blue screen of death a lot. Some of the error message are "system service exception", "unexpected store exception", and "critical process died". I believe there are some more but I can't remember the name of them. I tried updating my driver but it...
  4. Why I'm I getting to so many bluescreen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why am I getting so many blue screen errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting so many blue screen errors?: Hello, I purchased parts for and built my new PC on 6/19. I purchased the parts from Microcenter in Westbury, NY and had a friend help me complete my build. Everything was running perfectly the first night until I went to play some games, mostly Diablo IV. This is when I...
  6. Why am I getting so many blue screen errors?

Why am I getting so many blue screen errors?: Hello, I purchased parts for and built my new PC on 6/19. I purchased the parts from Microcenter in Westbury, NY and had a friend help me complete my build. Everything was running perfectly the first night until I went to play some games, mostly Diablo IV. This is when I...
  7. Why am I getting so many updates on an old laptop

Why am I getting so many updates on an old laptop: My friend and I purchased identical laptops at same time. She rarely gets and update. I am constantly getting an update on an old laptop. Why is that? See below...
  8. Why am I getting so many updates on an old laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why am I getting so many updates on an old laptop: My friend and I purchased identical laptops at same time. She rarely gets and update. I am constantly getting an update on an old laptop. Why is that? See below...
  9. Why am I getting so many updates on an old laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Frame Drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frame Drops: Hi, since the last update I made (windows 10, version 1903, 6/12/2019) while I'm playing I started dropping frames in almost any game. What to do? How can I solve this? I have this build: Specifications: Motherboard: Maximus Hero XI CPU: i9-9900k GPU: RTX 2080 TI STRIX...