Windows 10: Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"?

Discus and support Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just flattened and rebuilt my Windows 10 computer. I have 3 hard drives in the unit. All of my photos are in a PICTURES folder on the E:\ drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tdehan, Apr 7, 2020.

1. tdehan Win User

Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"?

I just flattened and rebuilt my Windows 10 computer. I have 3 hard drives in the unit. All of my photos are in a PICTURES folder on the E:\ drive. There are numerous subfolders underneath. Whenever click to open one of the folder I get the following message:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder"?
    Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.

I am the ADMIN of all of my machines so why am I getting this. It would take forever to click on each folder to gain permanent access to each. I have specifically added me to the E:\ drive to take ownership of it but it makes no difference! This is maddening!

How do I fix this?

:)

tdehan, Apr 7, 2020

2. “You don`t currently have permission to access this folder"

Hi Andre

Tried your suggestion but the Controlled folder access toggle switch is greyed out. Thanks for your response.

John

John H 4054, Apr 7, 2020
  3. Windows reports "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• Does this happen only with a specific folder/file location?

This problem results when an administrator, the owner of the file or folder, or a user with the Change Permissions permission for a file or Full Control permission for a folder, changes the access control list (ACL) on the file or folder. Some of the
    changes that could deny a user access to a file or folder they should be able to access include:

• The user or group was unintentionally removed from Group or User names on the file's or folder's Security tab.

• An explicit Deny has mistakenly been applied to the user or group.

• A conflict between share permissions and NTFS permissions was created when someone changes permissions without examining both types of permissions.

Method 1:

Let’s give permission to the folder and check if that helps. Follow these steps to give permissions to the drive.

a) Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select Properties.

b) Click on ‘Security’ tab and under ‘Group or user names’ click on ‘Edit’.

c) Click on ‘Add’ and type ‘everyone’.

d) Click on ‘Check names’ and then click ‘OK’.

e) Select ‘everyone’ and under ‘Allow’ select
    ‘Full control’ and click on ‘Apply’ and Click ‘Ok’.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

(Try the steps for Windows 8 as it is applicable to Windows 10 as well.)

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Apr 7, 2020
  4. Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"?

“You don`t currently have permission to access this folder"

Click Start > File Explorer > This PC

Right-click on your External Drive, and choose Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.

Highlight the user, and click Edit.

Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.

Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.

Hit OK.

OR

Reset the drive permission:

Do this from the command line:

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

TAKEOWN /F D:\ /R /D Y

Once you have taken ownership, then you have to set the permissions; for this, you use ICACLS:

ICACLS "D:\" /reset /T

Note: D:\ would represent the name of your drive.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"?

1. Why am I getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"? - Similar Threads - Why getting don't

2. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Can't open folder A message appears as shown in the picture. Tried to find a way and came to pictures 3 and 4. It's not like other people at all....
  3. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Can't open folder A message appears as shown in the picture. Tried to find a way and came to pictures 3 and 4. It's not like other people at all....
  4. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  5. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  6. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder": Hi there, I just recently bought a new pc and it has an SSD as the main drive for windows and I also have a secondary 1tb drive that I have been installing other large applications such as games and other software on. Somehow along the way a folder titled "Windows Apps" got...
  7. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 [ATTACH] The folder enable folder sharing, and I can read it at the network drive. However, my administrator account lost the folder access rightYou don't currently have permission to access this folder. How to access the folder and get the...
  8. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder.": I changed my SSD a couple of months and recently realized that I needed a file from my old SSD, but every time I try to access the folder. I get this error: https://i.imgur.com/x0kJnP8.png I googled the issue and followed all the steps on this page:...
  9. you don't currently have permission to access this folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    you don't currently have permission to access this folder: The popup tells me this. Then it says click continue to get access to this folder. So I click continue. Then it says you have been denied access to this folder. Seriously. Then it takes me to this other screen and I don't know what to pick to get access to that folder....
  10. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"....

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"....: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".... I had this problem before and solved it by right clicking the affected folder , choosing the security tab and so acquiring total control. But this time is going on with J:\ drive that is my smartphone´s SD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i am administrator but dont have permission