Windows 10: Why am I missing files in "File History"?

Discus and support Why am I missing files in "File History"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed yesterday that my File History said it was running, but "files last copied" was about a month ago. I have done some things in the last month... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkTiede, May 31, 2020.

1. MarkTiede Win User

Why am I missing files in "File History"?

I noticed yesterday that my File History said it was running, but "files last copied" was about a month ago. I have done some things in the last month so I thought that was odd. I decided to do the "Run Now" to force it to make file history. It reported that it had run.

Now I made a change to a file in Word and I wanted to see if File History had some history of the change.

That is when I realized I couldn't find that file in File History. I double, triple, and quadruple checked that the file was actually in my Documents folder and that the path for it in Word matched the path that File History was showing. Nowhere to be found.

Then I noticed that the whole folder wasn't there. Then I noticed a BUNCH of folders weren't there. In File Explorer or whatever it is being called nowadays, I see 162 folders. In "File History, I see 35 FOLDERS.

Where are the rest? Why has it not made a copy of ALL the folders?

In my Pictures folder, File Explorer shows 58 folders. File History shows 10 folders. A subfolder of Pictures in File Explorer shows 50 subfolders. File History shows 10.

OMG, is thing supposed to be my backup and recover feature? I'm glad I've noticed this, but is scaring me.

Why doesn't it have all my files?

fwiw, the target of the file history is a Netgear Stora box

:)

MarkTiede, May 31, 2020

2. File History on/off status issues

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you able to access your missing Email files on Web mail?
    2. Which drive was selected to set up your back up on file history?

Probably the files might have been deleted when you perform the cleanup operation.

However, you may try the suggested steps to recover files from file History.

Restore files from File History

You may also refer this

Video link
    for more information regarding restoring files.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 31, 2020
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, May 31, 2020
  4. GDEC_343 Win User

File History - Files missing from backup

Thanks for your reply but that article outlines the steps I have already taken.

I have performed a restore from my File History drive and many files are missing.

GDEC_343, May 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Why am I missing files in "File History"? - Similar Threads - Why missing files

2. Why is File History a load of ****?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is File History a load of ****?: It's about the third time this has happened. Eventually there is some "unspecified error" which is nothing to do with my storage medium plenty of space, modern, reliable equipment which stops file history from working.This is a Microsoft problem - File history is appaulingly...
  3. Why is File History a load of ****?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is File History a load of ****?: It's about the third time this has happened. Eventually there is some "unspecified error" which is nothing to do with my storage medium plenty of space, modern, reliable equipment which stops file history from working.This is a Microsoft problem - File history is appaulingly...
  4. Why is File History a load of ****?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History Restore is Missing Many Files!!!

File History Restore is Missing Many Files!!!: I am running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 5 2017 in a strictly controlled corporate environment. We've had many problems with these Surface Pro machines dying on us, and so a few months ago, I decided I wanted to protect my many important files from a hardware malfunction....
  6. Back up files missing in File History

Back up files missing in File History: I need to restore all files from my back up drive. I can see them all sitting there, however when I go into File History to restore them, I cannot see them there, only a couple of folders with documents I have been working on in the past couple of days. Is there another...
  7. File History missing files

File History missing files: Summary: My File History seems to be missing files. I have File History on. When I go to Restore Personal Files, I don't see all directories and if I search for a file, not all files are found although some in missing directories do. Details on missing subdirectories:...
  8. Build 18963 File History Missing files

Build 18963 File History Missing files: I am running Windows Insider Build 18963 and File History is missing files. Thanks, Tony https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/build-18963-file-history-missing-files/9cf9914f-1372-4164-b9d5-f99c4c090efd
  9. Why can't I enable File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why can't I enable File History?: Hello, I am new to this forum and new to Windows 10. I am having a problem using the backup utility in Windows 10, went starting up the panel comes up saying that there is no usable drive, even though I have a DVD inbuilt. I have also tried an external hard drive, still no...
  10. Some folders are missing in File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some folders are missing in File History: I have a strange issue because I can find some folders in Properties but File History panel doesn’t show them. How can I make them visible from the Control Panel?...