Windows 10: Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches?

Discus and support Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Something that has plagued me since I began using Windows 10 is how awful the file search function is. In EVERY case I use the file search function... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrianCAllen, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches?

Something that has plagued me since I began using Windows 10 is how awful the file search function is.

In EVERY case I use the file search function it is to locate a specific file within a singular folder with only a partial name, and each time I was mystified as to why it could never locate any file this way.

The final straw was when I tried to quickly locate a single file within a folder of 5 files with the first word in the file name of my desired file and it came up empty handed. After a bunch of Googling to find out why that was I came across what we're calling a "Wild Card" search, where you put asterisks around your file search inquiry such as*File_Name*.

Although this will allow me to finally use the search function as I would like to, I have to ask the question:Why are all File Searches not "Wild Card" searches? What purpose does a search function even serve if you have to be 100% correct with the file name you're looking for? And why is there no option to make all searches Wild Card searches? Searching for a file within a user made folder should ALWAYS be a Wild Card search! Is there a reason it's like this?

Thanks,

Brian

:)

BrianCAllen, Aug 11, 2020
  2. MRISAK Win User

Searching file names using wild characters

In searching File Explorer (Win10) the wild character "?" doesn't seem to work when searching for a file name. e.g. "?E1" doesn't produce a list of files having E1 as 2nd & 3rd character in file names. Used to work beautifully in Win 7.

MRISAK, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Frank1000 Win User
    Search in certain files

Hi,
    how can i search within the content of only certain files ?

Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything.

I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that syntaxed in the Win-Explorer search. Seems its nothing like it was in previous win8 version.

Thx,
    Frank

Frank1000, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches?

1. Why are all File Seaches not "Wild Card" searches? - Similar Threads - Why are File

2. Why is Windows Explorer Seach so Wretched?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows Explorer Seach so Wretched?: I'll skip the excruciating details for now and, perhaps, amend those painful details later. However, I'm not really sure there is any point with taking the time to point exactly to those flaws that Explorer has when it comes to searching for files. Even if there is an alleged...
  3. Why is Windows Explorer Seach so Wretched?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows Explorer Seach so Wretched?: I'll skip the excruciating details for now and, perhaps, amend those painful details later. However, I'm not really sure there is any point with taking the time to point exactly to those flaws that Explorer has when it comes to searching for files. Even if there is an alleged...
  4. Why is Windows Search not working at all?

Why is Windows Search not working at all?: I can't function without Microsoft Edge or Bing. Windows Search is not working at all. Can a kind soul respond and perhaps help me find the problem?Thanks so much!...
  5. Windows Search Service need to be restarted to perform a seach

in Cortana
    Windows Search Service need to be restarted to perform a seach: Hello,i've problem on 3 computers with last Windows 10 update install.When performing a search using Explorer it give you always "couldn't find anything".If i reboot the Windows search service, it can search correctly. After moving in another folder problem restart and i need...
  6. Windows Search Service need to be restarted to perform a seach

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Service need to be restarted to perform a seach: Hello,i've problem on 3 computers with last Windows 10 update install.When performing a search using Explorer it give you always "couldn't find anything".If i reboot the Windows search service, it can search correctly. After moving in another folder problem restart and i need...
  7. Windows Search Service need to be restarted to perform a seach

8. How to Wild Card (*) delete hundreds of OneDrive files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Wild Card (*) delete hundreds of OneDrive files?: I fell for a fake OneDrive update, and it doubled my Desktop Folders/Pictures/Documents files- The Duped files All have "Copy" added (see snips). In the far past I deleted files by using something like *copy*.* ... Exactly how would I do something like that (Run as Admin,...
  9. New computers. Why wildly different performance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computers. Why wildly different performance?: I have three Win10 computers that I bought for family use, two laptops and a desktop. They are name brands but basic level since they would only be used for Office and internet. They are all slow to start, slow to close, and slow to open apps right out of the box. I've done...
  10. Search not finding all files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding all files: Hi everyone, We recently purchased two new Acer PC's running Windows 10 on a HDD. We also bought a SSD for each device which I then cloned the HDD to the SSD to decrease startup time. Please note that since cloning I have not formated or deleted any data on the HDD and the...