Windows 10: Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

Discus and support Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up? I have used a two monitor setup for roughly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TheNapTime, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

Why has windows 10 started to force all of my open windows onto my primary monitors when I power them up?

I have used a two monitor setup for roughly 15 years and only recently have I started seeing this behavior. I have done the following and the issue still persists:

1. Update display drivers.
    2. Uninstall display device, restart, reinstall.
    3. Update monitor firmware.
    4. Change device resolution and refresh rate.
    5. Change primary monitor.

I have this issue on 2 PCs with different graphics cards. I do not have this issue on 2 older PCs also with different graphics cards. I spoke with support chat and they confirmed that the same thing happened to them on their device and tried telling me that this was expected behavior.

:)

TheNapTime, Apr 7, 2019

2. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Apr 7, 2019
  3. alts63 Win User
    Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

When I disconnect or power off my third monitor (portrait), and turn off my #2 monitor (landscape)

my primary monitor switches from landscape to portrait.

How can I stop this behaviour?

I don't use my #3 monitor often, and would like to have it "disconnected" to prevent windows opening in it (even when it is off windows insist on popping up there). Unplugging cables is inconvenient.

All monitors are the same brand and model. Windows 10 (current). Display set to extend desktop

alts63, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

Edge browser continiously opens on primary monitor and I need it to open (to it's full size) on second monitor!

How oh how do you make this Edge browser open on my second monitor and then remember to open there? This is driving me crazy! It continuously opens on the primary monitor, and then I have to move it to the second monitor and expand the window EVERY
    TIME! Come on Microsoft! Windows 7 did this with no issues...why have you taken such a step backward? This is so frustrating!

JenniferRE, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up.

1. Why are all open windows forced to primary monitor on monitor power up. - Similar Threads - Why are open

2. Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...: I have a dual monitor setup and I use an application (ninjatrader) that includes multiple windows. If I position all the windows where I want them (i.e. so that they're all visible in the right places, non are overlapping etc.), but then power down the monitors at night so...
  3. Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor: Figured I would move up to Open Shell today, however on my dual monitor setup it only works on the primary monitor and I get the native win10 v1809 start menu on monitor number 2. I'm using Actual Multiple Monitors as well. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm back on Classic...
  4. Popup windows open on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Popup windows open on primary monitor: I know this has been asked in the past, but I'm wondering if there has been any work done to try and resolve... I use a dual screen PC and a website that brings up a popup window to confirm an action and it always opens the popup on the primary monitor, even though my main...
  5. Two monitor system - How to make monitor 2 my primary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two monitor system - How to make monitor 2 my primary monitor: Two monitor system - How to make monitor 2 my primary monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-monitor-system-how-to-make-monitor-2-my/a6c748f2-6e9a-465a-8b9a-885282a83636
  6. Want to see all the non-primary extended screens in the primary monitor's screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Want to see all the non-primary extended screens in the primary monitor's screen.: Hi, I extended the screen of my PC to multiple devices. And want to see the screen of connected devices in my primary monitor to know what is showing on the screen of those devices because the non-primary devices are not directly visible to me....
  7. Primary Monitor goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...
  8. Monitor power off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor power off: Before update to 1803, my monitor was set to turn off after 30 mins. After the update it does not. I can't get the monitor to shutdown at all. I've set it to 1 min and still nothing. But under power & sleep it still shows shutdown after 30 mins. Is there some fix for this?...
  9. Monitor power off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor power off: Before update to 1803, my monitor was set to turn off after 30 mins. After the update it does not. I can't get the monitor to shutdown at all. I've set it to 1 min and still nothing. But under power & sleep it still shows shutdown after 30 mins. Is there some fix for this?...
  10. 1 monitor primary display and 4 monitor secondary display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    1 monitor primary display and 4 monitor secondary display: Our church wants to setup a display composed of four 20" square monitor. This will be our secondary display. Computer specs at the moment: CPU: Intel i3-3210 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210 RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz MB: ASUS P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0 OS: Windows 10 Pro x64...