Windows 10: Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

Discus and support Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cr8zy_Ivan, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful information to solve this issue. I've come to the conclusion that there is a great number of users that are irritated by this Windows 10 behavior.The point of a Keyboard Shortcut is to save: time, mental strain, and aggravation. Waiting 2-3 seconds defeats the purpose of a Keyboard Shortcut. In this regard, Windows 10's inbuilt cu

:)

Cr8zy_Ivan, Jun 16, 2022
  2. joShu001 Win User

Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Nyima, thanks for suggesting some methods to fix this problem.

Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.

I recommend you try to replicate the problem on your own device:

Create a keyboard shortcut to an app or folder in Windows 10.

Windows help & learning

Then try the shortcut you just created.

Note how long it takes.

Then use a built-in short such as CTRL SHIFT ESC (Task Manager)

Note how long it takes.

Compare the times.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, in Windows 8 custom keyboard shortcuts used to take a long time, and then keyboard shortcuts became very fast after a Windows 8 patch.

Then I updated to Windows 10 and now the shortcut delay is back.

I have two Windows 10 devices and the keyboard shortcut delay is on both of them.

It is something inherent to Windows 10.

Since non-custom shortcut keys (E.g. CTRL SHIFT ESC, Windows Key E, etc., Windows Key 1, etc.) are nearly instantaneous I compromised on this problem for now by putting the links I commonly use on the taskbar using this technique:

Pin Any Item to the Windows 7 Taskbar

The first link on your taskbar corresponds to the shortcut Windows Key 1, etc.

Compromising in this manner means I have to relearn all my shortcuts, annoying, but at least these taskbar shortcuts have no delays, unlike the custom shortcut keys.

joShu001, Jun 16, 2022
  3. joShu001 Win User

I am also am experiencing a delay of about 2 or 3 seconds for my custom keyboard shortcuts. I did not have this delay in 8.1 on the same device (Surface Pro 3 w 8gb) . However, I do recall I had a similar custom shortcut delay on my desktop with Win 8, then
    the delay eventually went away (but I don't recall what patch/upgrade fixed it). So, I am hoping that they will fix it again with Win10.

It might be worth saying that my built-in shortcuts such as CTRL SHIFT ESC (Task Manager) and WINDOWS E (File Explorer) work pretty much instantaneously. The delay only seems to be with my custom keyboard shortcuts.

Here is a handy tool to find and manage custom keyboard shortcuts defined in the Windows file system:

RJL Software - Software - Utility - Shortcut Key Explorer

Using that tool, I tested all my custom keyboard shortcuts and they are all delayed.

I tried to use
    SysInternals Process Monitor
    to get a sense of where the delay is coming from but I was not successful.

joShu001, Jun 16, 2022
  4. stattrust Win User

Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

The one consistent replication of the problem of delayed custom shortcut keys (for me) is the waking from sleep. Even after items that linger when closed (calculator, search, etc.) doesn't slow shortcuts consistently; just sleep.

Note that I have hybrid sleep off which solved a few things in Win 7, but not Win 10. Desktop clicks of these same shortcuts run normal before/after wake. Do a restart, speed returns to that of Win 7.

stattrust, Jun 16, 2022
Thema:

Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

1. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute? - Similar Threads - Why are custom

2. Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?: Hi Community,I would like to know how shut down my Windows 11 laptop from keyboard shortcuts not with ALT + F4 and on internet i've read the shortcut is CTRL + ALT + DELETE but it doesn't work. Generally i would like to know how i can customize if it's possible the keyboard...
  3. Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?: Hi Community,I would like to know how shut down my Windows 11 laptop from keyboard shortcuts not with ALT + F4 and on internet i've read the shortcut is CTRL + ALT + DELETE but it doesn't work. Generally i would like to know how i can customize if it's possible the keyboard...
  4. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute: This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about...
  5. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute: This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about...
  6. custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting: I have set custom keyboard shortcuts to many apps that I use regularly for ease of working. eg. ctrl+alt+E to launch Excel. However every now and then the short cut gets reset and I have to manually set it again. I can't figure out yet what triggers the reset.. It seems...
  7. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  8. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  9. Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts: It seems windows doesn't have a feature to have different shortcuts for the virtual desktops. If it's possible can someone recommend a program I can customize my virtual desktops to have different shortcuts. For example I would like Desktop 1 to be clean and then Desktop 2...
  10. Customize Keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Customize Keyboard shortcuts: I want to create keyboard shortcuts using modifiers or combinations thereof to insert characters like # and é without using the Character Map. Is there a way to do this? I have looked through Settings but came up blank....