Windows 10: Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process?

Discus and support Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 7, access to your external HD was right there with one click under Computer. Now, you can't find it after one step & not even after two,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr_Dome, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Mr_Dome Win User

Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process?

In Windows 7, access to your external HD was right there with one click under Computer.

Now, you can't find it after one step & not even after two, it takes three. 1st click on Settings - 2nd Storage - 3rd Other Storage Media

I'm translating from my native language, do bear with me

Am I missing something?

Where are external HD's shown? Why aren't they in that otherwise useless tile display or how can they be added?

:)

Mr_Dome, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process?

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process?

1. Why are external hard drives no longer shown in a one step process? - Similar Threads - Why are external

2. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.: My external hard drive, which was being used to store games on my Xbox One, suddenly stopped working after I moved the console from one location to another. What do I mean by that? The console does not seem to recognize it, despite the USB port being used to power the HDD I...
  3. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.: My external hard drive, which was being used to store games on my Xbox One, suddenly stopped working after I moved the console from one location to another. What do I mean by that? The console does not seem to recognize it, despite the USB port being used to power the HDD I...
  4. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  6. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  7. One volume shown in multiple hard drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One volume shown in multiple hard drives.: I have one drive which is showing itself in multiple hard drives and one volume is split into different parts. The F: partition is shown in multiple hard drives and all are shown in multiple parts in same drive also.[ATTACH]...
  8. File explorer shown two external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer shown two external hard drive: Hi, i hope someone could help me in my problem, so i been encountering this issue for a long time and i dont know how to solve it i already reset my laptop because i thought that was the solution but its not, i dont even know how this happend whenever i plugged in a usd or an...
  9. External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]

External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]: PLEASE HELP! Okay so i have an external hard drive, western digital, almost exactly a year old. i was tagging/playing.organizing some music when things went really weird. I wasn't able to access certain files, files and folder were undeletable because they were not there...
  10. External Hard Drives no longer working

External Hard Drives no longer working: Hi, having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working. I have an Acer Aspire running Windows 10 (version 1511, OS Build 10586.36). I have been travelling for a while so haven't updated for quite some...