Windows 10: Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?

Discus and support Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This was asked previously, and not fully answered. Not all files show different times; it appears that the display may only be different for files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Loren Meck, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?

This was asked previously, and not fully answered. Not all files show different times; it appears that the display may only be different for files whose timestamp is not in the DST range when 'dir' is run at a time that is in the DST range and possibly vice-versa? Can someone please publish precise documentation on how timestamps are created, copied and displayed? Why does the same file sometimes have timestamps on two systems that display a one hour difference when the file is transferred through intermediate media like a thumb drive? And why do such files sometimes have timestamps that di

:)

Loren Meck, Aug 29, 2021
  2. chasw98 Win User

Why are file Explorer and CMD Dir displaying differnt timestamps ?

Explorer and properties screen show timestamp 6:49pm and Dir show 5:49pm (for Complete Live at ...)

I have encountered this timestamp difference in files in several different folders.

Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps? 0e3a47ed-c15a-494b-be89-15771deb0b87.jpg

chasw98, Aug 29, 2021
  3. Why are file Explorer and CMD Dir displaying differnt timestamps ?

Nope, DST difference. As Raymond Chen says (see second link below), "Whenever you hear the phrase 'off by an hour' you should immediately think 'Daylight Saving Time'".

@chasw98: It's an old and well-known bug. Quoting Jonathan Gilligan
    (see first link below), "The time reported by dir for a file on an NTFS volume changes by an hour as we move into or out of daylight savings time, despite the fact that I haven't touched the file. FAT modification times are
    stable across DST."

Beating the Daylight Savings Time bug and getting correct file modification times

Why do Explorer and the command prompt interpret file times differently?

Files modified outside Daylight Saving Time show Standard Time in Windows 7 Explorer

Related info:
    Evolution of the File Property Timestamp

RobertJWin, Aug 29, 2021
  4. RGORD Win User

Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?

desktop files not visable when using DIR from the CMD

Hello,

I tried what you suggested. When I entered Win+X I got an option for Windows Power Shell or Window Power Shell(Admin). I chose Windows PowerShell. When I opened the CMD I could navigate my way to C:\users\niels\Desktop.

A Dir from the Command Prompt while in Desktop produces an empty folder...nothing there.

However from the Windows 10 Desktop (i.e. the screen) I see all my files including a myexample.py file that I am looking for. If I use Windows explore to navigate to This PC>local Disk(cWhy are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps? :)>Users>niels>Desktop there are no files listed.

How come that file I am looking (and other) are not visible when I use the CMD C:\users\niels\Desktop\Dir? Any thoughts.

Rich Gordon

RGORD, Aug 29, 2021
Thema:

Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?

1. Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps? - Similar Threads - Why are file

2. Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files: Please have a look at the screenshot. Windows File Explorer is displaying datetime stamp of 11/06/2020 6:33 pm, however if I right click on the file it displays a different Creation time. This has only happened to 4 files out of about 40. The rest of the files are showing the...
  3. File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Displaying Different View Mode for the Same Folder: Hi I have been moving the Users directory from the C drive (SystemDrive) to another drive for several years now ever since Windows 7. I initially discovered a Windows 7 tutorial that involved changing a Registry entry to move the `ProfilesDirectory` on an existing Windows...
  4. Explorer and CMD display different directory contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer and CMD display different directory contents: Can anyone explain this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-cmd-display-different-directory/65706aaf-70fc-4c4f-8558-2338393a3713
  5. File Timestamp inconsistencies

in Windows 10 Support
    File Timestamp inconsistencies: First example: DISMRepairLogFile.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour ahead of actual time. However, the individual entries in the content of the file are correct. Second Example: SrtTrail.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir"

Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir": Maybe I'm being dense and missing out on File Explorer functionality, but I've stuck with using the DOS cmd prompt and DIR. Here's an example for which DIR works, but I can't get FE to provide the same results. dir /s /O:GD /N *.nb searches the current folder and...
  7. File Explorer Freezes Sometimes

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Freezes Sometimes: Hello,Yesterday (24-Jan-2020) installed update KB4534321.Today I noticed that sometimes windows file explorer freezes.Tried to close its window in the taskbar, once it worked, reopened, it was frozen. Rebooted computer, now it works.Does this update causing the trouble or...
  8. Environmental variables different in CMD and Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Environmental variables different in CMD and Windows Explorer: When I open environmental variables window I get the following environmental variables:...
  9. What's the "date" timestamp in Windows 10 file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the "date" timestamp in Windows 10 file explorer?: I'm trying to figure out timestamping in Windows. The only one I cannot figure out is "date", is this "date created", "date modified"? It's sometimes one or the other by what I can see. Thanks in advance *Smile 142003
  10. desktop files not visable when using DIR from the CMD

desktop files not visable when using DIR from the CMD: When I use the CMD and try to use CD Desktop I get an error that the path is not specified. When I go to the c:/users/niels/desktop and use the CMD there are not files but the Desktop shows all my files. How can this be fixed?...