Windows 10: Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

Discus and support Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RaNo99, Sep 23, 2020.

1. RaNo99 Win User

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

Hi,

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you.

File Explorer screenshot:

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K... cffa0720-c253-4c91-a846-0dee845216b5?upload=true.png

Configuration:

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K... 1bd48d5f-3147-43b8-8587-43b7b2c3b14d?upload=true.png

:)

RaNo99, Sep 23, 2020

2. windows 10 file explorer not showing large thumbnails

windows 10 file explorer not showing large thumbnails

akisionios, Sep 23, 2020
  3. JamesNN Win User
    4k screen, icons and thumbnails appear too separated in file explorer

Items inside folders are shown too separate in my windows 10. It happens with images, other folders, ... all items, when displayed as EXTRA/LARGE/MEDIUM/SMALL ICONS.I was used to view my computer folders as "medium icons" but now it's painful. It's frustrating
    because you cannot see many files in the screen at the same time with such big spacing.

I tried to adjust "Window Metrics" in the registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\IconSpacing). Now the Desktop icon separation is fine. Still, inside the folders, icons and thumbnails are not adjusted.

My system settings are:

• Scale and Layout 250% (recommended)
    • Display Resolution: 3840x2160 (recommended)
    • Windows 10 home 1709

When I set 100% scaling icons and thumbnails appear ok, but then menus and texts are too small. Icons and thumbnails are also fine when I set to lower resolutions, but I want to make use of the 4k screen, so it's not a good solution. So, in my understanding
    there could be two possible solutions:

1.Is there a solution for adjusting icon and thumbnail spacing inside folders? Then I can use the "extra large icons" view. Now, they appear too separate to be of any use (see image below).

2. It's possible to scale icons and thumbnails over 100% (255px)? It looks like while the rest of the system settings scale to 250%, icons and thumbnails remain 100%. (see below: large selected blue area that the thumbnail doesn't cover,
    when should).

Thanks in advance.

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K... e846ac3e-36e4-4c81-bf9f-285b68b9f4ab.png

JamesNN, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

File Arrangement

Hi,Sunshine_952! I'm Leonardo! An Independent Advisor and also a Microsoft user for several years. I'll be more than happy to assist you today!

That feature is no longer native on Windows 10. In order to freely arrange the itens within a folder, you're gonna have to disable Auto Arrange.

If you want to disable auto arrange inside a folder you need to do the following:

1. Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit in the input field.

2. Navigate to the following key on the left panel:

3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

4. Now delete the Bags subkey.

5. Navigate to this key:

6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

7. Delete the Bags subkey here again.

8. Navigate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

9. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

10. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button.

11. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip (Downloads / Other / Disable auto arrange in File Explorer in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7)

12. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

13. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

14. Open This PC and close it.

15. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arrange should be disabled now and you can freely arrange files inside folders. We have to mention that this method works only for large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

===================================

To disable auto arrange in File Explorer, do the following:

1. Open any folder using File Explorer and right-click the empty space.

2. Go to View and make sure that the Auto arrange option is unchecked.

3. If the option is turned off you can easily arrange items in any way you want.

4. Navigate to this key:

o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

5. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

6. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button

7. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip.

8. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

9. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

10. Open This PC and close it.

11. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arranges should be disabled. Try to freely arrange files inside folders to check if this method worked. Again, keep in mind that this method works only for the large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Leonardo Mesquita

Independent Advisor

Leonardo Penha Mesquita, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

1. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K... - Similar Threads - Why are large

2. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...: Hi,Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you.File Explorer screenshot:Configuration:...
  3. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...: Hi,Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you.File Explorer screenshot:Configuration:...
  4. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why are explorer extra large icons too small?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are explorer extra large icons too small?: This has happened to me in Windows 10 and now 11. When i select "Extra Large" Icons in windows explorer, the actual thumbnails shrink while the blank space around them grows. How do i fix this, i do a lot of photo editing and this is a massive strain on my eyes. Why can't you...
  6. Why are explorer extra large icons too small?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are explorer extra large icons too small?: This has happened to me in Windows 10 and now 11. When i select "Extra Large" Icons in windows explorer, the actual thumbnails shrink while the blank space around them grows. How do i fix this, i do a lot of photo editing and this is a massive strain on my eyes. Why can't you...
  7. Win 10 and Alphabetical Arrangement of Files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 and Alphabetical Arrangement of Files in Explorer: I just recently noticed in my Documents Folder that the files are arranged alphabetically rather than 'by use', which is what I prefer. I tried manually moving my New Book Stuff file to the top of the list and Explorer would not allow me to do so. I looked around for...
  8. Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?: This question has been dogging me for years. I'm a desktop PC person. I like having a desk, a monitor, and these days a smaller or 'Mini' PC nearby. 3 years ago I bought an Asus Vivomini PC and paired it with $329 2K 25 inch monitor. Something like this -- [img] But now...
  9. Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?: This question has been dogging me for years. I'm a desktop PC person. I like having a desk, a monitor, and these days a smaller or 'Mini' PC nearby. 3 years ago I bought an Asus Vivomini PC and paired it with $329 2K 25 inch monitor. Something like this -- [img] But now...
  10. windows 10 photo thumbnails are always small with 4k screen

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 photo thumbnails are always small with 4k screen: Hi, When I want to make the size of the pictures bigger, but I can not, it stays the same size this does not work:view> Extra large Iconcrtl + mouse wheel I have Asus laptop with 4k Touch Screen [img] 94721