Windows 10: Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths?

Discus and support Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I first became aware of long path lengths exceeding MAX_PATH 260 characters, because my Windows 10 backup attempts are failing. I wrote a C++ app to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RonKropp, May 8, 2020.

1. RonKropp Win User

Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths?

I first became aware of long path lengths exceeding MAX_PATH 260 characters, because my Windows 10 backup attempts are failing.

I wrote a C++ app to scan my drive, looking for file and directory paths exceeding 260 characters.

The app reported over 200 items, most paths are about 269 characters!

Typical long path length folder is: C:\\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~3...

Is there any way to prevent, repair, these long paths?

Any recommendations for resilient Backup software to backup my Windows 10 image?

:)

RonKropp, May 8, 2020

2. Long Path Names

I forgot the other item on my "Wish List", long path name support (the default path name length is ridiculously short).

Regarding panes and tabs, I use FreeCommander whenever I have to something more than basic file management.

Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths? [​IMG]

It has a handy mass rename tool too.

Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths? [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, May 8, 2020
  3. Path length limit

Hello John,

My name is Patricia and I am an Independent Advisor. I am here to help you today.

Disable the path limit length is recommended after Python setup is successful, because if python was installed in a directory with a path length greater than 260 characters, adding it to the path could fail.

So don't worry about that action and proceed to it.

Patricia.Guenot, May 8, 2020
  4. Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths?

Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

Not necessarily a good thing. You will be able to create longer path names now. Programs that check path length will now choke on the long path names but would work fine with a shorter path name. Is that good or bad? Worse, a program that just assumes max 260 length might copy the name without checking and possibly overlay something. (I don't actually know if that is possible.)

pokeefe0001, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths?

1. Why are Microsoft Apps and Services creating long path lengths? - Similar Threads - Why are Microsoft

2. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  3. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  4. How do I get around the dreaded "Path Length Too Long" error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get around the dreaded "Path Length Too Long" error?: In my case I'm trying to unzip a file resident on my D:drive. I get the error. I've enabled the Longfilername bit using regedit and GPedit. Still no help. I CAN do a clean unzip on the C: drive root, that does work. I've tried coping the unzipped files to the D:drive but then...
  5. How do I get around the dreaded "Path Length Too Long" error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get around the dreaded "Path Length Too Long" error?: In my case I'm trying to unzip a file resident on my D:drive. I get the error. I've enabled the Longfilername bit using regedit and GPedit. Still no help. I CAN do a clean unzip on the C: drive root, that does work. I've tried coping the unzipped files to the D:drive but then...
  6. max path length - inconsistency

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    max path length - inconsistency: I came across a strange problem recently and so far I am not able to find a reason for this behavior I have a very deep folder structure with two files. This folder is actually a Sharepoint Team Site synced with OneDrive fB File 1 - synced from sharepoint: "C:\Users\[my...
  7. Long Path Enabled

Long Path Enabled: Hi Team, We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond that we cannot go. So could you please help me in getting this sorted out. thanks. Sriram Krishnamoorthy...
  8. Path Lengths on Different Drives

Path Lengths on Different Drives: I have files on a desktop drive and it does not have an issue with the Path Lengths. On another drive in the same machine if I copy the data it gives me the Path Too Long error if I copy it to that drive. I have already used Regedit to turn on allowing long path names....
  9. Path length limit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Path length limit: I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/path-length-limit/412d48cd-7ddf-435a-9935-cf51af16f8a4
  10. System Path variable length problem

in Windows 10 Support
    System Path variable length problem: I was having a problem with Apple's SyncServer.exe (part of iTunes). It was choking on the length of my system PATH environment variable (2388 bytes), so I temporarily hacked it below 2047 bytes, and it worked OK. BUT I couldn't use Control panel/System/Advanced Systems...