Windows 10: Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?

Discus and support Why are my desktop folders on my start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was looking around tonight at my windows 10 settings and I clicked on the start menu ( which I use StarDock to make Win 10 start menu look like win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eaglepi, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Eaglepi Win User

Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?

I was looking around tonight at my windows 10 settings and I clicked on the start menu ( which I use StarDock to make Win 10 start menu look like win 7 start menu ) and there are desktop folder on my start menu. I checked settings to see what should be on my start menu and personal folders is not selected. Why are they showing up on my start menu?

The folders on my start menu with red arrows are desktop folders

Why are my desktop folders on my start menu? [​IMG]

Here are my settings

Why are my desktop folders on my start menu? [​IMG]

:)

Eaglepi, Nov 29, 2018
  2. nora.e Win User
    nora.e, Nov 29, 2018
  3. How how do you always display text for start menu folders?

Hi,

Start Menu is one of the feature enhanced in Windows 10. You can customize Start Menu by following these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Choose Personalization.
    • Click Start.
    These are the options that you can see under Start:

• With the Show more tiles, you can expand tile column.
    • Turning on Occasionally show suggestions in Start will show suggestions in Windows 10.
    • Show most used apps will show most used apps list on Start Menu.
    • Enabling Show recently added apps will display the program you installed last.
    • You can also view Start Menu in full screen by enabling Use Start full screen.
    • Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar
      will show your recently opened items.
    • To choose what apps or folders you like to appear on you Start Menu, you can click
      Choose which folders appear on Start.
    Note: You can also resize the Start Menu by simply dragging the top or the right edge of the Start Menu.

Let us know how it goes.

Antoneth Ber, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?

Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?

1. Why are my desktop folders on my start menu? - Similar Threads - Why are desktop

2. Why is my start menu crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my start menu crashing?: Hey GuysAbout 2 nights ago i set a new wallpaper on my pc, and whilst doing this i have found a setting that said: Set as tile.I didnt know what was it so i clicked nothing seemed to happen. Later i tried to turn of my pc and it wouldnt do so because the start menu was...
  3. Why is my start menu crashing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my start menu crashing?: Hey GuysAbout 2 nights ago i set a new wallpaper on my pc, and whilst doing this i have found a setting that said: Set as tile.I didnt know what was it so i clicked nothing seemed to happen. Later i tried to turn of my pc and it wouldnt do so because the start menu was...
  4. Why is my start menu crashing?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  6. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  7. Why is my Start Menu Oversized?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my Start Menu Oversized?: [ATTACH] Idk how this happened but is there a fix to this? https://preview.redd.it/kt1vf6ed32561.png?width=787&format=png&auto=webp&s=645e6903fac33810bb007f08b8a00bae6af5a779 submitted by /u/FatBoi1013777 [link] [comments]...
  8. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.: Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019, that anything I place on the Desktop will NOT stay after a restart. Games will NOT start from the Start menu at any time. And,...
  9. Accidently deleted my start menu folder

in Cortana
    Accidently deleted my start menu folder: Hello, I accidentally deleted the start menu folder located here: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs I just wanted to deleted 2 icons from there. When I went in the folder, only those two icons showed up, so I proceeded to delete the...
  10. why is my start menu folders greyed out?

in Windows 10 Support
    why is my start menu folders greyed out?: [img] Everything is greyed out. How do I fix this? 14766

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are my foldsers on my desktop

2. why is the start menu on my desktop