Windows 10: Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041

Discus and support Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [ATTACH] What the heck is going on? How do I fix this. All I did was install the windows update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiamondBackX, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041

Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041 52c3ad6b-f4d8-463a-b478-96288a45571e?upload=true.png

What the heck is going on? How do I fix this. All I did was install the windows update.

:)

DiamondBackX, Jun 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 Desktop Icon Spacing Messed Up

Hello,

A factor why you're having desktop spacing issue is due to configuration settings. We suggest that you set the spacing of desktop icon by using Registry Editor. Follow the steps below:

• Type Windows key + R > Type regedit > Hit
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
    • On the right panel, click Window Metrics >
      Double-click IconSpacing (horizontal spacing) or IconVerticalSpacing (vertical spacing) and modify the value > Click
      OK.
    • Reboot the computer to save the changes.

Note: IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing value between -480 (minimum spacing) to -2730 (maximum spacing).

Important:  This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article. 

See this article:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Do get back and let us know the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regile Reb, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jun 30, 2020
  4. skubler Win User

Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041

All icons in windows 10 64 bit messed up

Hi, I am having quite a problem, my icons are all messed up suddenly, on desktop as well as in explorer. My shortcuts are fine, but any other files look normal but in front of them is a blank white "paper", smaller than actual icon so icon shows from behind. In my explorer, everything shows as just a blank white paper. I have tried all of the steps you have given, and am logged into command prompt as administrator, but when I get to next to last step, it says access not allowed. So I can't perform the next to final step? I am struggling here something awful!!

I followed this, however when I get to username appdata local: I have no iconcache file anywhere?

*Arrow Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041 [​IMG]

Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041 [​IMG]

skubler, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041

1. Why are my desktop icons messed up following update to Windows 10.0.19041 - Similar Threads - Why are desktop

2. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  3. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  4. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I messed up my icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I messed up my icons: Kinda new to windows and did something odd, dont know how to change it back. I downloaded a .rar file, and did not have any program associated with opening it. I had 7zip installed, but not set as the default for that type of file. I right clicked the .rar and selected "open...
  6. Windows 10 Insider Preview 19033.1 (vb_release) update messed up Icons on Desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Insider Preview 19033.1 (vb_release) update messed up Icons on Desktop: After today's up date my desktop icons are all messed up with many icons missing. Only 2 horizontal rows 7 icons wide, I cannot modify or add. How do I fix this?...
  7. Desktop Icons Messed Up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Messed Up in Windows 10: I have an Alienware laptop and I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit, Ver. 1903, Build 18362.476. Following the November update to Window, my Desktop icons became evenly spaced across the screen with at least double the spacing between icons. If I switched off Auto arrange then...
  8. Windows update keeps messing up my new desktop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update keeps messing up my new desktop?: I bought an HP Pavillion Gaming Desktop 690-0020 in July 2018. After like 2 days, my computer updated and was resarting, the hp logo finished loading but the screen remained black. I waited hours because I thought it was just loading and I should give it a chance. Nope,...
  9. Desktop icon images are messing up

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon images are messing up: Having this issue you can see in the pic with my icons. I have removed them and added them back but they just add back like that again and not as the should be. Didn't have an issue until a few days ago and it just started out of the blue. First with the 2 icons on the left...
  10. Turning off monitor messes up my desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off monitor messes up my desktop icons: Hi. I know this is common issue and it's not even considered as "bug", because someone who has no brain thinks it's a good feature. So the problem, is that I have 2 monitors. Asus 4k (3840x2160) connected over DisplayPort and Asus 1080p monitor over DVI, whenever I turn my...