Windows 10: Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

Discus and support Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ever since the most recent major Windows 10 update I guess a couple months ago?, every time I log in to my PC, a select few of my desktop icons get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MrWalrus295, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

Ever since the most recent major Windows 10 update I guess a couple months ago?, every time I log in to my PC, a select few of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup, one is plugged into my GPU, the other is plugged to the motherboard. If I move them back to where they were and right click to do sort by name, they sort properly and stay in the same spot I put them. But if I choose "refresh," they move back to the spot they were upon login. If I shut down and reboot, they move to that same weird spot.

View is set to Small Icons, Auto Arrange is OFF, Align to Grid is ON, Show Icons is also checked. I have them sorted by Name.

I figured the problem would have sorted itself out after the first patch update. But I think I've had to update my PC at least twice since the major update and still have the same issue. It isn't like a huge deal or anything, just annoying. It only happens to the exact same 4 icons. One is a text file, another is a PDF, and the other 2 are folders. I just don't get it.

:)

MrWalrus295, Dec 2, 2020

2. Desktop icons rearrange at random

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes your screen to go blank and rearrange the desktop icons, we would like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Icons rearrangement

Hi Amin,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please try below steps and check if it helps to stop rearranging desktop icon automatically.

• Right click on desktop, click on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For issue related Start menu check if it has set for full screen try to Off it.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Personalization.
    • Click on Start, turn Off Use Start full screen.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

Desktop icon rearrangement on sreen rotate/unrotate

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

Please try below steps and check if it helps to stop rearranging desktop icon automatically.

• Right click on desktop, click on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons.
    Hope this helps, if the issue persists do get back to us we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

1. Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves? - Similar Threads - Why are desktop

2. Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves: Lately, my Windows desktop icons have periodically and at random rearranged and re-sorted themselves.It looks like at arbitrary times, This PC and the Recycle Bin, which are traditionally at the top left hand corner of the desktop now shift downwards. The icons re-sort...
  3. Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves: Lately, my Windows desktop icons have periodically and at random rearranged and re-sorted themselves.It looks like at arbitrary times, This PC and the Recycle Bin, which are traditionally at the top left hand corner of the desktop now shift downwards. The icons re-sort...
  4. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  5. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  6. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot

Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot: I'm on Windows 10 2004 Update Build 19041.746 This started happening recently, my desktop icons is always rearranging themselves after every restart. i have arranged them many times as i need and whenever i restart, they comeback to the weird arranging. Auto arrange...
  8. Desktop Icons Automatically Rearrange Themselves on Restart or Sign Out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Automatically Rearrange Themselves on Restart or Sign Out: my desktop Icons reset themselves automatically to some fixed position when restart my pc. I've tried doing the theme icon uncheck trick, but it did not work, I also deleted my icon cache, but that did not work. Idk this issue randomly popped up out of nowhere, the only thing...
  9. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  10. Start menu icons rearrange themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons rearrange themselves: Hello, I hope someone has any idea what is happening any possibly why. My start menu icons every now and then rearrange themselves. They go from small to medium size, and groups resolve. Then I do the tedious work of arranging everything and then without a single...