Windows 10: Why are my GPU's dying?

Discus and support Why are my GPU's dying? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I got an RX 5700 Red Devil two weeks ago, flashed it with an XT BIOS and undervolted it slightly and it was totally stable (TimeSpy for ~20 minutes)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Supra, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Supra Win User

Why are my GPU's dying?

I got an RX 5700 Red Devil two weeks ago, flashed it with an XT BIOS and undervolted it slightly and it was totally stable (TimeSpy for ~20 minutes) and cool (~70°C).Applied a Windows update from the slow ring on Monday that was required for 20H1 as I've been trying to reset Windows due to another issue, and it was causing the driver to hang and recover a few times on the login screen. That evening the PC went to sleep then it never displayed anything again, regardless of CMOS reset or trying another PCI-E slot. The VGA light on the motherboard was lit. Tried it in another PC, no display either.

I was kind of content the flash may have killed it (although the card was cool and I wasn't playing a game when this happened). I setup an RMA regardless, they didn't have any in stock so they said they'd refund me.With the lockdown in effect here, I didn't want to wait bored senseless and unable to do coursework so I bought another one from a different supplier. This flickering on logon still happened, but I reinstalled Windows and it was fine. I booted into the BIOS, disabled CSM support to enable safe boot and then I have no display again. This was only 12 hours after I put the card in. Put in my sisters GTX 1660 Ti, it POSTs, revert the setting, I swap the 5700 back in. Nothing...?

How can this happen twice? Can a Windows update from the insider rings actually kill hardware? Or is this a reported problem with Navi? I have read random black screens, but not failing POST after sleep or a reboot.Called CS from one of the suppliers and he said that he's aware of problems. I even said "yea, I know the drivers have been bad, but I know nothing about cards not POSTing" and he said that he's heard of customers having said problem.

Do you guys think this is a Navi issue? Or am I just supremely unlucky?

- - - Updated - - -

Am I experiencing the first computer problem in history that no one can answer? I've posted this to the amdhelp subreddit as well and no one has responded.

:)

Supra, Apr 18, 2020
  2. axe0 Win User

B(lack)SOD after closing GPU demanding applications and games

I would like to suggest 2 more things if you don't mind,
    1. Seat the GPU in another slot, if possible, and see if that helps anything
    2. Use the GPU in another system, if possible, this is a step to determine that it is really the GPU and not multiple defective slots or something else from the system.

3. DaveM121 Win User
    GPU

Hi Michael

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters section

You should see your GPU listed, along with possibly an integrated graphics option

If that is no listed there:

Boot into BIOS (start your system, then on the manufacturers screen, repeatedly press the appropriate key (usually F2) to enter BIOS

Under System Information, you should find your GPU listed

If you still cannot find the GPU listing, what is the Make and exact Model No. of your PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . ..

DaveM121, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Zeond1987 Win User

Why are my GPU's dying?

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

Why are my GPU's dying?

1. Why are my GPU's dying? - Similar Threads - Why are GPU's

2. Why are my keyboards slowly dying?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my keyboards slowly dying?: every few weeks or months a new key fails to work properly, sometimes the key types twice after pressing only once or sometimes the key doesn't type at all unless i press it really hard.i have had this issue on 3 seperate keyboards and plugged them into my laptop to test and...
  3. Why are my keyboards slowly dying?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my keyboards slowly dying?: every few weeks or months a new key fails to work properly, sometimes the key types twice after pressing only once or sometimes the key doesn't type at all unless i press it really hard.i have had this issue on 3 seperate keyboards and plugged them into my laptop to test and...
  4. Why are my keyboards slowly dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Think my gpu is dying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Think my gpu is dying: For the last few months I’ve had a problem where randomly the pixels on my screen would flicker then my pc would freeze and sometimes would reboot others it would go back to normal, today I decided to try and see what the problem was, some previous posts here before suggested...
  6. Think my gpu is dying

Think my gpu is dying: For the last few months I’ve had a problem where randomly the pixels on my screen would flicker then my pc would freeze and sometimes would reboot others it would go back to normal, today I decided to try and see what the problem was, some previous posts here before suggested...
  7. Drivers or Faulty GPU? Maybe dying PSU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers or Faulty GPU? Maybe dying PSU?: Recently I had some weird problems with my computer, I started it up one day to see text disappear and come back. Not a big amount of letters but for example: RT_ 207_ SUP_R when it suppose to say RTX 2070 SUPER.If I drag my mouse over it, some letters come back but others...
  8. Drivers or Faulty GPU? Maybe dying PSU?

Drivers or Faulty GPU? Maybe dying PSU?: Recently I had some weird problems with my computer, I started it up one day to see text disappear and come back. Not a big amount of letters but for example: RT_ 207_ SUP_R when it suppose to say RTX 2070 SUPER.If I drag my mouse over it, some letters come back but others...
  9. Drivers or Faulty GPU? Maybe dying PSU?

10. Possible dying GPU?

Possible dying GPU?: Hi, A while ago, while I was gaming on my laptop, I noticed suddenly my laptop screen, and secondary monitor, went black, then came back on, then went black again, then my game froze. I do not have too good of a GPU and was wondering if there's a possibility of it dying. My...