Windows 10: Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?

Discus and support Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm at my wit's end. I think for the first time, I'm actually going to have to take a laptop back due to the OS it came with.I don't get why there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by shnnshn, Mar 28, 2023.

1. shnnshn Win User

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?

I'm at my wit's end. I think for the first time, I'm actually going to have to take a laptop back due to the OS it came with.I don't get why there would be no com ports available, or are able to be added simply because it's windows 11. I can't use this OS if they are not available.

:)

shnnshn, Mar 28, 2023
  2. Helle B Win User

Unable to find USB Serial Port (Ports COM & LPT) in Device Manager Windows 11

After updating to Windows 11 I can no longer get the serial port in Ports COM & LPT from the Device Manager.

When I select Device Manager nothing shows up, I cannot see Ports COM & LPT.

These are the steps I have tried:

IN DEVICE MANAGER

• View: Show hidden devices in Device Manager (nothing happens)
    • Scan for hardware changes
    • Action: Add legacy hardware. Used both search recommended and add manually.
    • When trying to add Communication Port: "Windows cannot determine the settings from this device". Does not work and have a yellow warning sign. When adding legacy hardware next time it is uninstalled since it says it does not work.
    • When trying to add Serial Port: "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance".
    WINDOWS UPDATE

Making sure all updates are done (both software and hardware)

My system

• Windows 11
    • HP Pavilion Laptop

Helle B, Mar 28, 2023
  3. Jonatino Win User
    Rear audio ports always show as “Not plugged in”

I've been having this issue with Windows for about a week now which NONE of the back panel/front panel connectors (speakers, microphone) are being recognized by Realtek audio manager. The only audio input/outputs that are showing are the optical.
    Troubling shooting steps I've tried (none worked):

• COMPLETELY uninstall all Realtek drivers/reinstall
    • Tried using windows drivers
    • Reinstall Windows 10
    • Upgraded chipset driver
    • sfc /scannow
    I called EVGA and asked for RMA but then I booted into a Ubuntu OS and all the ports work FINE. It must be a problem with windows 10.
    Can you think of any other troubling shooting step I can try to fix this annoying issue? Thanks!
    Screenshot of playback devices:

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ? 57016d1485961568t-rear-audio-ports-always-show-not-plugged-sound_2016-01-04_10-36-50.png

Screenshot of Realtek HD Audio Manager:

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ? 485961568t-rear-audio-ports-always-show-not-plugged-realtek_hd_audio_manager_2016-01-04_10-37-04.png

After looking in Device Manager under Audio inputs and outputs, I don't see any speaker/microphone listings, only the optical crap:

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ? 57018d1485961568t-rear-audio-ports-always-show-not-plugged-2016-01-04_10-42-40.png

Jonatino, Mar 28, 2023
  4. Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?

Windows 10 lost COM ports

Hi John,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the missing ports on your Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?
    • Which devices are using the COM port on your computer?

Additionally, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to perform the
    Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
    Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps and complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if you’re able to install the port on your PC properly.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Joseph Ban, Mar 28, 2023
Thema:

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?

1. Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ? - Similar Threads - Why are com

2. Why are my virtual COM ports not working in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my virtual COM ports not working in Windows 11?: I need to interface a serial peripheral to a Windows 11 laptop.I'm using a CH340 chipset USB to Serial cable. When I plug the cable into a USB port, the Ports COM & LPT section is automatically added to device manager, and within it lists USB-Serial CH340COMx, x being...
  3. Why are my virtual COM ports not working in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my virtual COM ports not working in Windows 11?: I need to interface a serial peripheral to a Windows 11 laptop.I'm using a CH340 chipset USB to Serial cable. When I plug the cable into a USB port, the Ports COM & LPT section is automatically added to device manager, and within it lists USB-Serial CH340COMx, x being...
  4. Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?

Why are no com ports or the ability to add them showing in windows 11 ?: I'm at my wit's end. I think for the first time, I'm actually going to have to take a laptop back due to the OS it came with.I don't get why there would be no com ports available, or are able to be added simply because it's windows 11. I can't use this OS if they are not...
  5. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  6. Windows 11 USB COM port

Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  7. Missing Com ports in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Com ports in Windows 11: Hi there, I have a new HP laptop running Windows 11 Home. It has a AMD Ryzen 3 3250U 2.6GHz with 8GB ram and x64-based processor. I am trying to flash a firmware update onto a cnc via USB but I need to connect to an available Com port. Unfortunately, nothing comes up in the...
  8. Missing Com ports in Windows 11

Missing Com ports in Windows 11: Hi there, I have a new HP laptop running Windows 11 Home. It has a AMD Ryzen 3 3250U 2.6GHz with 8GB ram and x64-based processor. I am trying to flash a firmware update onto a cnc via USB but I need to connect to an available Com port. Unfortunately, nothing comes up in the...
  9. No COM ports in Windows 11?

No COM ports in Windows 11?: Windows 11 New laptop, I have applications that require com ports 3 and 4 to connect to hardware via USB port. There doesn't seem to be any COM ports and no way to create them that I can find. Can anybody direct me to instructions on adding com ports?...
  10. No COM ports in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No COM ports in Windows 11?: Windows 11 New laptop, I have applications that require com ports 3 and 4 to connect to hardware via USB port. There doesn't seem to be any COM ports and no way to create them that I can find. Can anybody direct me to instructions on adding com ports?...