Windows 10: Why are not file type extensions shown as default

Discus and support Why are not file type extensions shown as default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there This thing always irritates me beyond measure -- ever since I think Windows 98 after a Windows new install I always have to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Why are not file type extensions shown as default

Hi there

This thing always irritates me beyond measure -- ever since I think Windows 98 after a Windows new install I always have to change the default in file explorer to show the file extensions of known types.

Is there anybody on this forum who doesn't display the file type e.g .exe, .mkv etc etc.
    Without showing the extensions you could get some really nasty files !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 12, 2021
  3. How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, Feb 12, 2021
  4. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Why are not file type extensions shown as default - Similar Threads - Why are file

2. default file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default file type: By mistake I set a program as the default program for two file types. I do not wish to have that program set as the default. Also I do not need or want to any program as the default for these file types. How do I REMOVE a default program from a file type without setting...
  3. default file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default file type: By mistake I set a program as the default program for two file types. I do not wish to have that program set as the default. Also I do not need or want to any program as the default for these file types. How do I REMOVE a default program from a file type without setting...
  4. default file type

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File type in File Manager is shown in chinese

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File type in File Manager is shown in chinese: I'm on Windows 11, and when I use file manager all the .jpg image files show the item type in Chinese. They still open normally as jpg's.. This of more of an inconvenience and annoyance rather than a critical fault but I would like to fix this. I am fully updated to latest...
  6. File type in File Manager is shown in chinese

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File type in File Manager is shown in chinese: I'm on Windows 11, and when I use file manager all the .jpg image files show the item type in Chinese. They still open normally as jpg's.. This of more of an inconvenience and annoyance rather than a critical fault but I would like to fix this. I am fully updated to latest...
  7. File Type extension Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Type extension Problem: My files ,videos, music are affected by an extension type called .47lful55V all files and cant open any of the files and cant use. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them give hands please help me to fix this issue I cant us any apps files videos music...
  8. File extension relation to file type

File extension relation to file type: How does Windows know that a .txt is a text file, or a .py is a python file? I made this file extension called .pmry, and want Windows to know it is a Hello file, but it says it's a PMRY file. How do I make Windows know it is a Hello file?...
  9. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...
  10. File Extension and file type

File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...