Windows 10: Why are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D?

Discus and support Why are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have an Intel NUC in which I installed an M.2 drive and a SSD which I use just for storage. I installed Windows 10 on the M.2 drive. I did not install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tomel, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Tomel Win User

Why are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D?

Have an Intel NUC in which I installed an M.2 drive and a SSD which I use just for storage. I installed Windows 10 on the M.2 drive. I did not install anything initially on the SSD.

The Disk Management Utility shows 3 partitions on my boot (M.2) drive. The main partition and a partition named Recovery plus a partition called EFI System. I understand the reason for these three partitions on my main boot drive which contains the Windows 10 operating system.

However, I see these same three partitions on my SSD. Why? What's the purpose? How did they get placed on the SSD? I know I can remove them and expand the main partition to take all of the disk space using diskpart. However, I don't want to do this if these extra partitions serve some useful purpose or are necessary for some reason.

Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks.

:)

Tomel, Dec 29, 2019
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Why are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Dec 29, 2019
  3. Multiple drive o recovery and EFI partitions

On my drive 0, I have multiple (6) recovery and EFI partitions (12 in all). Why do I have so many? Do I need them? How do I get rid of the ones I do not need? I am using Windows 10. Does Windows Updates create new recovery partitions?

John

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

joiseyjohn, Dec 29, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Not enough space on Recovery (DWhy are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D? :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DWhy are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D? :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Why are Recovery and EFI Partitions on Drive D? - Similar Threads - Why are Recovery

2. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  3. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  4. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition: Hello,I've just installed Windows 10 on my new SSD and formatted the HDD that had Windows 10 on it before. I just realized in Disk Management that the old HDD has the Recovery and EFI System Partitions. How would I go about adding those to the SSD instead?Thanks....
  6. Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive: I bought a 500gb nvme ssd for my pc and I installed while my old sata 250gb drive was still in there (which had windows installed on it). I installed windows on it and instead of creating those partitions on the drive, it treated it like a dual boot system and it just used...
  7. recovery d partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery d partition: how do I find out what files were mistakenly saved to the recovery d partition and can they be deleted without screwing up the recovery info. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-d-partition/d13b5aff-6002-4804-b3f7-b7e8f958f561
  8. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  9. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  10. EFI and Recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI and Recovery partitions.: new hp pavilion laptop, the 2 default partitions besides C: notice they are 100% free space, they both are before C: , however posts I have been reading call for them to be after C: for rebuilding them? -EFI system partition, according to wikipedia this is: "When a...