Windows 10: Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

Discus and support Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I use my snipping tool Windows Key + Shift + S, it occasionally corrupts the screenshot. Opening the picture with other apps doesn't seem to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Matthew Clemente, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

When I use my snipping tool Windows Key + Shift + S, it occasionally corrupts the screenshot. Opening the picture with other apps doesn't seem to work for me. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Microsoft Store, but still no luck. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I've found a way to get around the problem by just taking a normal screenshot Windows Key + Prt Sc, but obviously, it's less convenient for me since I'd have to crop out each screenshot to just a certain portion of it.

:)

Matthew Clemente, Apr 24, 2024

2. Cannot screenshot with Snipping Tool

Thanks for replying! I've done everything you suggested, but the issue still persists. To make it easier to troubleshoot, I've listed all the things I've tried so far.

System Model: OMEN Laptop 15-ek1xxx

Symptom: The Snipping Tool app opens as expected but when trying to take a screenshot by clicking on "New" inside the app or using its shortcuts (PrtSc or Windows + Shift + S), the cursor briefly changes to buffer and the app minimizes, but nothing happens.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

• Terminated Snipping Tool
    • Repaired Snipping Tool
    • Reset Snipping Tool
    • Updated Windows and drivers
    • Set time automatically
    • Set time to October 30/31, 2021
    • Enabled/disabled settings inside Snipping Tool
    • Enabled delay and fullscreen options inside Snipping Tool
    • Enabled notifications and priority notifications for Snipping Tool
    • Changed Snipping Tool to run "Always" as a background app
    • Enabled Clipboard History
    • Enabled "use PrtSc to use Snipping Tool"
    • Clicked on "New" inside Snipping Tool
    • Used the PrtSc key and Windows + Shift + S shortcut
    • Checked that the keyboard hardware is up to date and not faulty
    • Pinned Snipping Tool to the taskbar
    Advanced Troubleshooting Steps:

• Disabled "Do not allow Snipping Tool to run" in gpedit (Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Tablet PC > Accessories)
    • Created the "DisableSnippingTool" key in registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC) and set it to 0
    • Created the "EnableSnippingTool" key in registry (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\SnippingTool) and set it to 1
    • Ran sfc/scannow
    • Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Restarted Windows Explorer
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled Snipping Tool via PowerShell/cmd
    • Perfomed a Clean Boot
    • Created a new user profile
    What I have not tried:

• Enabled App Permissions Picture on Snipping Tool (the option does not show on advanced options)
    • Ran the Windows 11 Snipping Tool Directly from the "Windows.old" folder (I do not have Windows.old folder)
    • Reset Windows

Vinicius Valins, Apr 24, 2024
  3. snipping tool

Please try this:

Step 1:

Click Start, and type Snipping Tool.

Right-click Snipping Tool from the search results, and click App Settings

Click Reset,

Click Repair.

Note: In Windows 11, there is no Snip and Sketch. It comes pre-installed with the new Snipping Tool (which replaces the old Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch apps)

Step 2:

Turn off Focus assist if it's enabled

Step 3:

Open Services.msc and make sure that the following services are set to "Automatic" and running:

• Windows Push Notifications System Service
    • Windows Push Notifications User Service

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 24, 2024
  4. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

snipping tool

Your post is unclear. Please post a step-by-step description of what you are doing, e.g. like so:

• Open the snipping tool
    • Click "New"
    • etc.

Frederik Long, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

1. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted? - Similar Threads - Why are screenshots

2. Screenshots with no snipping tool W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screenshots with no snipping tool W10: I'm looking for a way to automatically save screenshots without using the snipping tool. I create online gaming posts, reviews, and edit games with non-repeatable cinematics. During these moments, I need to take rapid-fire screenshots with auto-save functionality. However,...
  3. Screenshots with no snipping tool W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screenshots with no snipping tool W10: I'm looking for a way to automatically save screenshots without using the snipping tool. I create online gaming posts, reviews, and edit games with non-repeatable cinematics. During these moments, I need to take rapid-fire screenshots with auto-save functionality. However,...
  4. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?: When I use my snipping tool Windows Key + Shift + S, it occasionally corrupts the screenshot. Opening the picture with other apps doesn't seem to work for me. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Microsoft Store, but still no luck. Not really sure what I'm...
  5. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?: Whenever I use my snipping tool Windows Key + Shift + S, it occasionally corrupts the screenshot. Opening the picture with other apps doesn't seem to work for me. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Microsoft Store, but still no luck. Not really sure what...
  6. Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?

Why are screenshots from my snipping tool getting corrupted?: Whenever I use my snipping tool Windows Key + Shift + S, it occasionally corrupts the screenshot. Opening the picture with other apps doesn't seem to work for me. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Microsoft Store, but still no luck. Not really sure what...
  7. Snipping tool no option to autosave screenshot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool no option to autosave screenshot: My snipping tool screenshots are not saving, but when I googled it it said to turn on Save screenshots in the Snipping tool app - however, I don't have that option. What gives? It works on my desktop, but for my laptop, the only options are "auto copy to clipboard", then...
  8. Cannot screenshot with Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot screenshot with Snipping Tool: I can open the program just fine but when I press "New" to take a screenshot or use the shortcuts windows + shift + s / print screen key it simply does not work. All it does is it changes my cursor from normal to buffer for a short time and minimizes the program but then...
  9. Cannot screenshot with Snipping Tool

Cannot screenshot with Snipping Tool: I can open the program just fine but when I press "New" to take a screenshot or use the shortcuts windows + shift + s / print screen key it simply does not work. All it does is it changes my cursor from normal to buffer for a short time and minimizes the program but then...
  10. Snipping Tool/Screenshots blurry

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Snipping Tool/Screenshots blurry: The best answer is make sure Display Driver is installed and the RESOLUTION is set to RECOMMENDED, that's all it works good. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-toolscreenshots-blurry/0b34ced7-6901-4fdd-b609-ea918c0bc663