Windows 10: Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing?

Discus and support Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Asked this question before but no real answer... Disabled the 'Server' service and the 'Workstation' service on Windows. This supposedly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thelps, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Thelps Win User

Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing?

Hi all,

Asked this question before but no real answer...

Disabled the 'Server' service and the 'Workstation' service on Windows.

This supposedly disables file sharing, according to the guides I've read.

However, some folders, specifically system folders, and very important OS folders are now showing 'Shared' in their explorer.exe windows.

Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing? [​IMG]

Does anyone know what is causing this and how to solve the problem?

The aim is to not have any folders on the machine in question made available across any networks.

:)

Thelps, Jan 27, 2019
  2. Thelps Win User

Folders show as 'Shared'. How to disable Sharing?

Seems some system folders are showing the 'Shared' icon in the lower-left of the window.

Does anyone know how to disable file and folder sharing across the OS?

(P.S. Think I've asked this before but nobody provided a solution that yielded any results).

Attachment 213096

Thelps, Jan 27, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing?

Problem : auto enable folder shared

Hello,

As the above description is not clear provide us additional information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• What is the exact issue you are facing in accessing C: folder on your device after updating to 14342?
    • What exactly are you referring to when you say: " I also install bash Ubuntu on this release"?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

I suggest you to try the below steps to disable C: folder sharing on your device and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an administrator.
    • Press Windows + E keys to open File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC in the left pane, right-click on C: drive.
    • Click on Properties, Click on Sharing tab.
    • Click on Advanced Sharing and uncheck the option Share this folder.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and brief description for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing?

1. Why are some folders showing 'Shared' when I have disabled Sharing? - Similar Threads - Why are folders

2. Shared folder in windows 10 show login windows but is disabled shared by password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared folder in windows 10 show login windows but is disabled shared by password.: All windows updates applied to both computers. Shared password protection is disabledThe folder is shared by all read/ writeI try to access the shared folder and windows asks me for username and password.This has started to happen since a couple of days... Why?I've tried...
  3. Shared folder in windows 10 show login windows but is disabled shared by password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared folder in windows 10 show login windows but is disabled shared by password.: All windows updates applied to both computers. Shared password protection is disabledThe folder is shared by all read/ writeI try to access the shared folder and windows asks me for username and password.This has started to happen since a couple of days... Why?I've tried...
  4. Shared folder in windows 10 show login windows but is disabled shared by password.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Shared folders not showing

Shared folders not showing: Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.928) Version: 10.0.19042 I have a Synology Linkstation NAS. Shared the drives using Linkstation Assistant but drives are not showing in this pc. Works fine on 3 of my computors,but wnt work on my laptop. Help please 181287
  6. why don't I have permission to see some shared folders?

why don't I have permission to see some shared folders?: I've long since shared documents, music and pictures on my central computer. My old laptop can still see all of them. My new computer can see the documents, but not the pictures or the music. I get the message Windows cannot access \\central computer\Pictures. You don't...
  7. Only some shared files show in Win10 Share

Only some shared files show in Win10 Share: I have two computers, one win10 and one win7. On a win10 file share, I can only see some files from the win7 computer. If I alter/save a file on the win10 computer, I can then see the file from the win7 computer. never since win3.11 have I seen anything like this. Windows...
  8. Disable sharing

Disable sharing: I got a shared files folder in my users folder. I want to disable sharing completely and get rid of the folder. 128386
  9. Folders show as 'Shared'. How to disable Sharing?

Folders show as 'Shared'. How to disable Sharing?: Seems some system folders are showing the 'Shared' icon in the lower-left of the window. Does anyone know how to disable file and folder sharing across the OS? (P.S. Think I've asked this before but nobody provided a solution that yielded any results). Attachment 213096...
  10. Some folders not showing on shared drives on network

Some folders not showing on shared drives on network: It may be buried in here somewhere but thought I'd throw this out there just in case or to help folks that haven't found a solution here. I was having trouble suddenly with several folders shared between my win 7 and 10 boxes. As far as I know they had worked before and...