Windows 10: Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?

Discus and support Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had recently installed a number of applications which created shortcuts on the desktop. However when I clicked on 'Desktop' in Quick Access or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by surfing69, Aug 30, 2019.

1. surfing69 Win User

Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?

I had recently installed a number of applications which created shortcuts on the desktop.

However when I clicked on 'Desktop' in Quick Access or User/MyProfile/ Desktop i couldn't see them . It was only when i clicked on their properties that I discovered they had been dumped in the User/ Public/ Desktop

Any idea why this has happened and how can I change the settings so that future short cuts are placed in User/MyProfile/Desktop folder.

Thanks

:)

surfing69, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?

User cant view exchange public folders in outlook

One user cannot see anything in the public folders navigation pane in outlook 2007. He can view the folders on our webmail just fine. I had him remove and add his exchange account, had him sign in and out of the machine. He's not in offline mode, and I had him clear some filter settings. No luck yet.

Hybrid_theory, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?

1. Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder? - Similar Threads - Why are sort

2. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  3. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  4. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing: I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about...
  5. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing: I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about...
  6. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  7. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  8. Public users folder gone

9. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?: I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive? submitted by /u/Itch_X [link] [comments]...
  10. Folders Being Created

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders Being Created: Lately I have noticed that something in (I Think in Windows) is creating 2 folders on my computer. One is called (_CLOUD) and the other is called (ASTRA). I can delete them (and I do). Does anyone know what is causing these folders to be created and if so … How do you turn...