Windows 10: Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps

Discus and support Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Why is it in most cases (at least the ones that I've used) the store apps are usually atrocious and have far more limited functionality than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Mar 2, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps

Hi there
    Why is it in most cases (at least the ones that I've used) the store apps are usually atrocious and have far more limited functionality than the standard apps available usually from the vendors own web site.

My latest nag here is on the HP MFP M28-M31 laser printer software (great cheap fast Black and white printer (although scans in color) laser printer BTW - compared with the cost of ink on ink jets these days !!!). The store app goes through a whole convoluted piece of B/S and then if you want to scan anything it attempts to log you in to HP's cloud servers which insist you sign in (or create an account) before the scan facility works.

The stand alone app downloadable from HP just allows you to scan without any of that B/S --I hate in any case having to create accounts even if they are free just to use hardware !!!!!!

Loads of other apps seem to be similarly hobbled if they come from the store. IMO perhaps Ms should ditch that whole store idea --it only came from somebody at the top of M/s trying to emulate Apple.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 2, 2021

2. Apple Claims Steam Link App Violates App Store Guidelines

Here's what Valve is contending with:
    App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer

The ones that stand out that may have caught Steam Link:
    So yeah, there's a lot of reasons why Steam Link would get rejected.

App submissions and approvals is a thing between developer and Apple. Valve intentionally let this information leak probably because Apple's restrictive guidlines will never allow Steam Link to be on the store. Valve is hoping the Steam user base makes a lot of noise so Apple grants Valve and exemption. I doubt it will work. Apple loves control and Steam Link is a portal into the Linux/Windows ecosystem. Even if Steam Link were exclusive to Mac OS, Apple would likely demand Valve use Mac OS's remote desktop features rather than Steam Link.

I'd be shocked if Apple allows it.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 2, 2021
  3. microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Mar 2, 2021
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store | Windows Central

P4-630, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps - Similar Threads - Why are store

2. why is the xbox app and microsoft store so bad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is the xbox app and microsoft store so bad: I've been having this issue for so long now; I have lost track of time. I keep trying to install Forza Horizon 5 via the Xbox PC app and every time it gives me an error code showing I don't have enough space to download it even though I have over twice the needed space...
  3. Why is my windows 11 user experience so bad compared to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my windows 11 user experience so bad compared to windows 10?: I guess it seems just a rant/provocation, but really, I've been using W11 for a week and my productivity dropped 50%. Where is my easy to use drag & drop? Why would I want all these new functions open in the terminal? really? What the heck is this?, while the old, useful...
  4. Why is my windows 11 user experience so bad compared to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my windows 11 user experience so bad compared to windows 10?: I guess it seems just a rant/provocation, but really, I've been using W11 for a week and my productivity dropped 50%. Where is my easy to use drag & drop? Why would I want all these new functions open in the terminal? really? What the heck is this?, while the old, useful...
  5. Why windows is so bad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows is so bad: this is the reason. Windows collects user data, is very slow, has to restart for changes in settings and much more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-is-so-bad/bd40aa36-4dbe-4052-acc2-3cba0873f04f
  6. Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are the store apps so bad compared vendors standard apps: Hi there Why is it in most cases (at least the ones that I've used) the store apps are usually atrocious and have far more limited functionality than the standard apps available usually from the vendors own web site. My latest nag here is on the HP MFP M28-M31 laser printer...
  7. Bad image quality compared to Netflix App on Smart TV

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bad image quality compared to Netflix App on Smart TV: I have a PC connected to our PC on the living room. We always use this for mainly Netflix and the occasional game. Today my little boy pulled a bit hard on the HDMI cable and broke it. So we had to switch to the Netflix App on the TV. I noticed straight away the image...
  8. Why your store is still so bad ?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Why your store is still so bad ?: This windows Store is by far my worst experience. I have a computer made by Microsoft so I'm supposed to get the best experience available. But instead there are some app I cannot install sometime they doesn't download, or doesn't update or doesn't launch. And they are...
  9. why is the microsoft app store so horrible?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    why is the microsoft app store so horrible?: there are multiple fake copies of things that are already free?? cant get decent games or even YouTube? and why cant I download games from the internet, like I spent money on them and it just making me waste my money?...
  10. Standard apps + Store app are all greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Standard apps + Store app are all greyed out: Seems like the apps are stuck in "update" mode and they just pop up a few milliseconds and then close when clicked. [img] Have tried running this code in Powershell as admin (found it here): Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage...