Windows 10: Why are there so many Win 10 updates requiring reboot?

Discus and support Why are there so many Win 10 updates requiring reboot? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Almost every day for the last week or two, I find the system requiring restarting to finish installing an update. I used to use Linux and it was very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by raymondo, Jan 25, 2016.

1. raymondo Win User

Why are there so many Win 10 updates requiring reboot?

Almost every day for the last week or two, I find the system requiring restarting to finish installing an update. I used to use Linux and it was very rare for an update to require restarting. Windows 10 has frozen my games on many occasions now because of this.

:)

raymondo, Jan 25, 2016

2. why are there so many Cumulative Update's that require/demand restarts

so far updates have corrupted 2 SSDs

while doing a kinetic simulation o/n - program finished windows restarted losing my efforts

this OS tries to do everything while doing nothing well

PO'd10user, Jan 25, 2016
  3. why are there so many Cumulative Update's that require/demand restarts

Almost all updates have required restarts for the past 20 years. "Patch Tuesday" is famous because it's when all the updates get released and cause hundreds of millions of people around the world to restart.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 25, 2016
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

You can schedule a restart for updates.

Whatphoeb, Jan 25, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Are you using Defender which does update frequently. Otherwise there have been few updates.

I use Avira which turns off Defender, and only have had a few updates since November.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
  6. raymondo Win User
    I use Norton. I don't see Defender working in Task Master Manager. (edit)

raymondo, Jan 25, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Norton turns off Defender.

Have you checked your update list - you may have one failing to install, hence repeats of updates?

Post image of updates.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
  8. raymondo Win User

I had an Adobe Reader update outstanding that kept failing to install which I hope I've now resolved. Also Windows cannot update the software for my HP Deskjet 2540, I don't think HP make software for Win 10 yet for this model. Neither of these should require a restart though.
    Looking at updates, apart from the Adobe (today) the last actual update was on the 14th.
    It does however list as available:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.
    HP - Printers - HP Deskjet 2540 series. (though this one never works)

And is still asking me to reschedule a restart.

Sorry, don't know how to copy the whole list of installed updates.

raymondo, Jan 25, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    I had an HP 2450 and it worked on Windows 10. I just deleted all the driver software in control panel and redownloaded and installed it from hp website.g

If you cannot get it working, set pc up as a google cloud printer server, and that model is supported by google cloud print. Then you cn print from tablest etc as well.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Windows Defender doesn't require reboot.

CountMike, Jan 26, 2016
  11. raymondo Win User
    It would appear that update only installed:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.
    when I clicked the restart button in the update window when it finally came up at a time that wasn't inconvenient for me. All the other times I'd rebooted at my own inconvenience didn't count.

So it has now carried out this update taking about 30 minutes.

Much like the last big update, it's screwed up the system.

My start menu no longer works again.

Last time this happened, I tried all the less troublesome fixes and then finally had to settle on starting a new account, so that my usual account is not the administrator. Because of partitioning, I doubt I have enough space for yet another account and I'm concerned about losing data. I do have an external drive for backups but I admit I'm getting seriously fed up with all of this.

Why does Win 10 keep losing the start menu?

raymondo, Jan 28, 2016
  12. The million dollar question! MS support is totally unhelpful. All their so called solutions never resolve this issue.
    It is highly irritating and affects WIN 10 pro equally.

I refuse to keep running the SFC and DSIM commands, as they always come back showing no issues found. I am convinced it is all about the changes made to the User policies. Creating a new profile and user is an exercise in futility. If one activates the hidden (Adminstrator account) one finds that everything works fine when using this profile until the very next update. and then IT also breaks.

Right now I am in the middle of a PC reset WITH NO added software installed of any sort, just the "stuff" that comes with WIN 10. And what do I find? the PC is stalled on the update process, insisting it must install the 6 updates available since the new build was introduced.

I do not know if this helps but that is my experience.

Geoff Daniell, Jan 28, 2016
  13. raymondo Win User

I've set up a new account with administrator privileges (from task manager command prompt) and am gradually moving everything across. I had to take a lot off the old account and store it on my portable drive to make the space.
    I know where most things are but I'd like to copy the calendar file from the old account to save entering so many birthdays and shift patterns again. Does anyone know where the file is stored?

And thank you to everyone who has helped so far. I shall sort out the drivers for my printer in due course as advised.

When I'm happy I have the new account working fully, is it safe to remove and delete the old accounts, including the original Administrator?

And can I now turn off Windows updates until Microsoft have announced that they've stopped this happening?

Apologies to throw out so many questions in one thread.

raymondo, Jan 28, 2016
  14. raymondo Win User
    I realise I'm abusing this thread. The original problem is solved. I have now removed the other accounts too and am just re-entering everything in the new calendar.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

raymondo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why are there so many Win 10 updates requiring reboot? - Similar Threads - Why are many

2. Why the need to have so many updates after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why the need to have so many updates after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10.: Why the need to have so many updaters after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10. it should have all the updates already as of the day of creation and install. what is the deal. what's the use of even recreating the download process if the files are not up to date.Now is...
  3. Why the need to have so many updates after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why the need to have so many updates after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10.: Why the need to have so many updaters after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10. it should have all the updates already as of the day of creation and install. what is the deal. what's the use of even recreating the download process if the files are not up to date.Now is...
  4. Why the need to have so many updates after downloading the Tool to reinstall Win 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does Microsoft require so many system updates...when there are two to three factor...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft require so many system updates...when there are two to three factor...: System updates have become normal practice amongst tech society...and rolling over into everyday life needs. When do is stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-microsoft-require-so-many-system/96b341d3-86a9-4856-b057-430cab5a84f6
  6. Why so many Security Intelligence updates?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why so many Security Intelligence updates?: I have no issues with Defender, but why so many updates for the Security Intelligence updates? I get Security Intelligence updates for KB2267602 every 2 hours or so, all of which are successfully updating and everything. This includes the most up to date version too. I find...
  7. So many updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    So many updates: Do we really need all of them? Can we get rid of some of the old ones? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-many-updates/d6df72e3-3514-4669-867c-a25fd99526c3
  8. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  9. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  10. Why so many builds

in Windows 10 Support
    Why so many builds: I found this in the mail this morning Windows 10 S is ready for testing (but just barely) | ZDNet Now I am no expert or indeed am I that savvy re computing as some of you will know but I have to say that after using 7 for such a long time and going through what I saw (as I...