Windows 10: Why are these privacy settings greyed out?

Discus and support Why are these privacy settings greyed out? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi - Can't enable any of these (highlighted.) : [img] Any idea why? TIA *Sleepy 133597 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Compumind, May 29, 2019.

1. Compumind Win User

Why are these privacy settings greyed out?

Hi -

Can't enable any of these (highlighted.) :

Why are these privacy settings greyed out? [​IMG]

Any idea why?

TIA *Sleepy

:)

Compumind, May 29, 2019
  2. Judesman Win User

Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location

Many thanks. By "action Centre" I assume you mean the Privacy Settings/Location that is in Windows Settings. Location Service is not greyed out and I see from Services that Geolocation is "Running" So I don't think that can be the answer.

Judesman, May 29, 2019
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, May 29, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location

Hi, 'Action Centre' is the title for the flyout that appears if you click the notification icon (empty square with a v at the bottom).
    Or Windows key + A.

Ok, so those two services are running. Good.

I see the same as you for that setting- and I have everything changed from US to UK English, and everything is working. That it's greyed out hasn't caused any problems.

Possible fix:
    Solved Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked - Windows 10 Forums
    #4, #5

I recommend you set a restore point before making changes. Note: System restore is off by default in '10, so you would need to enable it.

Info on Location:
    Windows 10 location service and privacy

Do you actually have a problem with Cortana? For example, does its panel pop up if you press Windows key + S, windows key + Q, and does the search box on the task bar respond?

Cortana and Settings search are very sensitive to the several settings that must be consistent if changing language. That this is greyed out could be a minor bug.

============================================
    Be aware that Cortana, in searching your files and folders, ONLY finds what's been indexed by Windows search.

Windows search is also available in file explorer, and anything in range will be found, indexed or not.

Much much better freeware tools for file search (often recommended here) for search-as-you-type with parameters for size, date, extension etc etc are:

Everything by Void Tools (use 1.4 beta or later)
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32 (old, but my preference).

dalchina, May 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Why are these privacy settings greyed out? - Similar Threads - Why are privacy

2. onedrive settings is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive settings is greyed out: when i stop syncing i can't edit settings, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-settings-is-greyed-out/aa2855f7-2b63-4a12-9e40-3b69c32eae39
  3. onedrive settings is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive settings is greyed out: when i stop syncing i can't edit settings, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-settings-is-greyed-out/aa2855f7-2b63-4a12-9e40-3b69c32eae39
  4. why are notifications greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why are notifications greyed out: Numerous apps Mail, Media Player, Devices, PowerPoint, etc. are grayed out in Notifications and I cannot turn them on or off. Why?I ran sfc /SCANNOW, restarted my PC and nothing changed, although there where a number of files that were fixed....
  5. Privacy & Security is grey out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Privacy & Security is grey out: From Setting, the Privacy & security icon is gray out.When click on Window Security, the Windows is "freeze" and when click on other icon there is no response https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/privacy-security-is-grey-out/03a9a859-45c5-49b1-8ec8-f678b3a220fa
  6. Privacy & Security is grey out

Privacy & Security is grey out: From Setting, the Privacy & security icon is gray out.When click on Window Security, the Windows is "freeze" and when click on other icon there is no response https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/privacy-security-is-grey-out/03a9a859-45c5-49b1-8ec8-f678b3a220fa
  7. OneDrive "Settings" greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive "Settings" greyed out: I'm trying to get into my OneDrive settings, but it is greyed out. Why? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-settings-greyed-out/2d9706c6-d646-408f-a3c1-5647d0dc7187
  8. Why is it greyed out?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is it greyed out?: And I can't even see the icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-it-greyed-out/d6e4699e-f0f8-4196-94d7-bad8bb8d2459
  9. Settings selection is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Settings selection is greyed out: I have just activated OneDrive on a new laptop. It immediately started to synch all files. I stopped the synch because I only want to install a subset of my OneDrive on this laptop. If found how to do that elsewhere in this Community but the first steps are: more>Settings -...
  10. Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location

Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location: I have just bought a new computer with Win10 V.1607. I am trying to understand what is all very new to me. In Privacy, Settings/Location Location is turned on and I assume Location History is as well however the option to turn Cortana on or off under Choose Apps......... is...