Windows 10: why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted?

Discus and support why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My HP Stream is low on disc space. I want to clear out old log files etc, but Windows Defender logs are impossible to delete, even with Defender... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlanClarke5, Nov 9, 2019.

1. why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted?

My HP Stream is low on disc space. I want to clear out old log files etc, but Windows Defender logs are impossible to delete, even with Defender temporarily off. So WHY do they show up in Disc Cleanup? Also why can Windows Defender services not be stopped?

LOG FILES are NOT necessary.

:)

AlanClarke5, Nov 9, 2019
  2. M3cael Win User

Only write one number to log file and delete old ones?

Hey,

I'm trying to have some software read from a .text file a number (GPU Temp) but the software will only the first number in a list (Or the first anything)

Is there a way to have to log file delete the previous entries and write the new number in it's place without any headers?

EDIT:

Sorry I'll try again.

I have some webcam software that can read a number (or whatever) from a text file and then it displays the number as an overlay.

See here: http://10.244.193.13:8081/

I was trying to use GPU-z to do this but as it logs as a list the webcam software can't update properly (also it reads the headings of the file and displays them instead)

Is there anyway to alter the logging to only output just the number (GPU Temp) and to delete the old numbers so the new value is the only value in the file.

M3cael, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Nov 9, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted?

disc cleanup

Hi Edward,

You should run Disk Cleanup Twice as explained below to safely remove anything that can be removed and check everything in the list, it is quite safe to do that, disk Cleanup will not suggest anything that is not safe to remove . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted?

1. why are Windows Defender log files displayed in Disc Cleanup if they can't be deleted? - Similar Threads - why are Defender

2. Can't delete update cleanup files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete update cleanup files: When I go to settings > storage >storage to delete temporary files I can't delete update cleanup files Everything else that I check for deletion is deleted. I have never had had success with the windows cleanup utility in all my years using windows from XP on, and this time...
  3. Can't delete update cleanup files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete update cleanup files: When I go to settings > storage >storage to delete temporary files I can't delete update cleanup files Everything else that I check for deletion is deleted. I have never had had success with the windows cleanup utility in all my years using windows from XP on, and this time...
  4. Disc Cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disc Cleanup: Doing disc cleanup on a win 10, should I check all the boxes?? How often should I be doing this clean up? And how often should I do the Sys files clean up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/957b6a3d-f2fe-461d-90ba-1a564510eaa6
  5. Disc Cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disc Cleanup: Doing disc cleanup on a win 10, should I check all the boxes?? How often should I be doing this clean up? And how often should I do the Sys files clean up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/957b6a3d-f2fe-461d-90ba-1a564510eaa6
  6. Disc cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disc cleanup: When I perform "Cleanup system files" on "disc cleanup" "windows update cleanup" won't cleanup. I have 55.0 MB and it never cleans those files. Can someone help me? Thanks. 179207
  7. recover files deleted by disc cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recover files deleted by disc cleanup: I didn't notice the new function in Windows10 that includes downloads in the list of files that are OK to delete. Disc cleanup deleted all my downloaded files. How can I get them back?...
  8. Disc cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disc cleanup: Cannot find disc cleanup in the taskbar. Windows 10 April release. Desktop pc: HP All-in-one/Model # 20-c410. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/c22b6fce-3c09-4f53-a909-b2fa42743fa4
  9. disc cleanup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    disc cleanup: what items may I check on disc cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/bc16ea55-a09e-4e15-afbd-4016035aa052"
  10. Disc cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disc cleanup: Disc cleanup>system files does not clean up Windows Update Cleanup.The green bar seems to crawl to a halt about midway and stay there even after a reboot. >I have to edit as I waited it out and finally it deleted all the files. 103832