Windows 10: Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded

Discus and support Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The Year is 2019. Mainstream multi-core/multi-threaded cpu's have been out for over 20 years. Why has Microsoft not optimized many of the basic tasks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HarrisGL, Feb 20, 2019.

1. HarrisGL Win User

Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded

The Year is 2019. Mainstream multi-core/multi-threaded cpu's have been out for over 20 years.

Why has Microsoft not optimized many of the basic tasks in Windows to use more than one thread. Here is an example:

Disk Cleanup Utility.

Doing system update / update log / previous windows version cleanup. Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded 97546e03-7d0b-495d-bb4b-97729d75215d?upload=true.png

During Windows update, system file check, chkdsk, only takes advantage of a single cpu thread.

Why has this never been optimized?

:)

HarrisGL, Feb 20, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 20, 2019
  3. bbinnard Win User
    Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

There has been a lot of talk about new CPUs with 8 (or more) cores capable of running 16 (or more) simultaneous instruction streams (threads). But this has a real benefit only of an application is multi-threaded, meaning it can split it's processing job up into multiple, simultaneous instruction streams that the CPU can process in parallel.

In the world of 3D product design and 3D printing this can make a huge difference - far greater than any difference due to CPU cycle time. But so far there are very few applications that can actually do multi-threading. It would be nice to see a list of apps that are multi-threaded, since these will run much faster than single threaded ones.

bbinnard, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Cliff S Win User

Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

Nice post, but I think the OP means CPU core threads, and that's different than program threads.
    What is the relation between the number of threads and the number of CPU cores? - Quora

I don't have a server motherboard with 4 XEON proccessors.

Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded [​IMG]

For the OP:
    Some programs have a multicore option in their preferences, but usually that's for their paid versions.
    A good example is MediaMonkey:

Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded [​IMG]

Most programs only need a single CPU thread.
    A good example is when overclocking my 6700K to 5.18986GHz: Official OC Leaderboard
    I needed to use only a single core, and turn off hyperthreading to boot into Windows 10 and not BSOD(keeps the CPU cooler).
    With this single thread, I was able to use Windows, have EDGE running, play music in Groove, and validate using CPU-Z, at the same time with no problems.

Cliff S, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded - Similar Threads - Why Aren't Core

2. How to find CPU cores and threads in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to find CPU cores and threads in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to find the number of CPU cores and threads in Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC, here is how you can do that. There are multiple ways to find the number of CPU cores and threads on Windows 11/10, and this article explains most methods. You can follow any one of...
  3. Why my pc wont show either all cores or all threads?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my pc wont show either all cores or all threads?: Well, if you look into my device manager and look into processors you can see I most likely have 4 logical cores or threads if you call them the same.I used this laptop like from 2019 or so and I remember that if I went to MSConfig and then boot and select processors I could...
  4. Why my pc wont show either all cores or all threads?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my pc wont show either all cores or all threads?: Well, if you look into my device manager and look into processors you can see I most likely have 4 logical cores or threads if you call them the same.I used this laptop like from 2019 or so and I remember that if I went to MSConfig and then boot and select processors I could...
  5. Why my pc wont show either all cores or all threads?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Multi Core processor not using all cores

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Multi Core processor not using all cores: I have an Intel i7 8700 12 core processor and many of the cores don't appear to being used. there are times when the computer is slow to respond to changes (starting applications, change web pages etc.) Is there a way to utilise all the cores to speed thing up, or is the...
  7. 3D Builder not using all cores/threads

3D Builder not using all cores/threads: Hi, any reason why 3D builder is not utilizing all cores/threads while substracting? Thanks [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3d-builder-not-using-all-coresthreads/b84361dc-565d-44e7-b469-40445b21e34d
  8. A multi-threaded softwarePFC3D-to do simulation not using all the available cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A multi-threaded softwarePFC3D-to do simulation not using all the available cores: Hi all, I'm using a multi-threaded softwarePFC3D developped by Itasca consulting to do some simulations.After moving to a powerful computer Intel Xeon Gold 5120T CPU 2.2GHZ 2.19 GHZ 2 Processors28 physical cores, 56 logical coresWindows10 to have rapid calculations, the...
  9. Windows on Multi CPU 4X XEON -not multi CORES !!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows on Multi CPU 4X XEON -not multi CORES !!!: Hi folks I managed to rescue from "The Tip" a battered old server containing a 4 processor board -- Windows 10 - even Enterprise version only supports 2 physical processors as max AFAIK Mobo is X9QR7-TF-JBOD CPU : 4 X XEON E5-4600 Have to populate my own DDR (Memory and...
  10. Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?: There has been a lot of talk about new CPUs with 8 (or more) cores capable of running 16 (or more) simultaneous instruction streams (threads). But this has a real benefit only of an application is multi-threaded, meaning it can split it's processing job up into multiple,...