Windows 10: Why Bother Backing Up?

Discus and support Why Bother Backing Up? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For anyone who needs more proof of the value of backing up, consider this: As widely reported in ZDNet and elsewhere, in July (2019,) hackers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by S-and-S, Sep 5, 2019.

1. S-and-S Win User

Why Bother Backing Up?

For anyone who needs more proof of the value of backing up, consider this:

As widely reported in ZDNet and elsewhere, in July (2019,) hackers successfully attacked the network of the city of New Bedford, Massachusetts and installed Ryuk, one of today's more prevalent types of ransomware, which encrypted files on 158 computers.

The attackers demanded $5.3 million from the City, but after stalling for time with a counter-offer, the City was able to restore the affected computers from backups.

Note that the City did not send out members of its IT department with recovery disks.

:)

S-and-S, Sep 5, 2019
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • Why Bother Backing Up? [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

3. EVGA GTX 2xx series Reinbursement Service

XFX started it and Evga is doing the same. Evga is starting its own reinbursement program for those who bought the Evga 2xx series when they first came out. All you have to do is follow a few steps.

• Must be a new purchase from an authorized EVGA reseller. Step-ups do not qualify.
    • You have 14 days to register and upload a qualified invoice to claim your EVGA Bucks.
    • Only customers who purhased the EVGA GTX 280 or GTX 260 at the full Manufactured Suggested Reatil Price (MSRP) will qualify for the Reimbursement Program.
    • If between June 16th and July 7th you purchased an:
    • EVGA GTX 260 you will receive $75.00 in EVGA Bucks* or $60.00 Cash Back
    • EVGA GTX 280 you will receive $150.00 in EVGA Bucks* or $125.00 Cash Back
    The only thing this doesn't cover is the Step-up program. I'm fine with that because I got the price cut anyway. I just hope to get the card by this weekend if not early next week. I have a itch to bench. *Rockout :rockout:

Source: EVGA

Cold Storm, Sep 5, 2019
  4. Why Bother Backing Up?

Need Advice on Everything!

Take a step back

What is your budget ?
    What are you going to use it for?

TPU members will probly overload you with suggestions

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

Why Bother Backing Up?

1. Why Bother Backing Up? - Similar Threads - Why Bother Backing

2. Why Bother!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Bother!: What is the sense of giving us the option to disable something, if you’re still going to run it anyways? Why are you hiding user folders in different areas? Why are you not letting us see the location of some files? Why are we not allowed to delete and turn off our own files...
  3. Why Bother!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Bother!: What is the sense of giving us the option to disable something, if you’re still going to run it anyways? Why are you hiding user folders in different areas? Why are you not letting us see the location of some files? Why are we not allowed to delete and turn off our own files...
  4. Why computer not backing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why computer not backing up: Why is computer not backing up? followed normal procedure to get to "Back up now" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-computer-not-backing-up/f4dd8db6-2908-4fe0-9d64-f05cf9956922
  5. Why computer not backing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why computer not backing up: Why is computer not backing up? followed normal procedure to get to "Back up now" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-computer-not-backing-up/f4dd8db6-2908-4fe0-9d64-f05cf9956922
  6. Why computer not backing up

7. Why Bother?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Bother?: Honestly, people.... why do we bother to beat our heads against this bloated obscenity of an OS that thinks that our PC's are there to serve IT, instead of IT being there to serve US? Do you spend anywhere near this much time in the guts of your car trying to figure out why...
  8. Why Bother?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Bother?: Honestly, people.... why do we bother to beat our heads against this bloated obscenity of an OS that thinks that our PC's are there to serve IT, instead of IT being there to serve US? Do you spend anywhere near this much time in the guts of your car trying to figure out why...
  9. Why Bother?

10. A real bother . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    A real bother . . .: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, on my Dell, Vostro 3583, laptop. Very often, I get a message on my screen, telling me to call this number, because, I'm infected, call 888 474-1214. "Your computer is locked" Do, not attemp anything until you call . . . So, I call . . . When,...