Windows 10: Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

Discus and support Why Can I Not Find my D Drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I cannot find my D Drive on my Microsoft Service Laptop 2. It is updated to Windows 11. I tried rescanning for disks and that did not work and I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Purmafrostt, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

I cannot find my D Drive on my Microsoft Service Laptop 2. It is updated to Windows 11. I tried rescanning for disks and that did not work and I've tried a few other methods. Can I have some more suggestions?

:)

Purmafrostt, Feb 6, 2023

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Feb 6, 2023
  3. Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 6, 2023
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

Not enough space on Recovery (DWhy Can I Not Find my D Drive? :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DWhy Can I Not Find my D Drive? :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Feb 6, 2023
Thema:

Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

1. Why Can I Not Find my D Drive? - Similar Threads - Why Find Drive

2. Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?: I cannot find my D Drive on my Microsoft Service Laptop 2. It is updated to Windows 11. I tried rescanning for disks and that did not work and I've tried a few other methods. Can I have some more suggestions?...
  3. Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?: So, I'm trying to install Forza 5 as seen from the pictures above, but it's not allowing me to change to my secondary hard drive D:. I've tried using command prompt to check the disk and delete WindowsApps on said drive, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried deleting and...
  4. Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?: So, I'm trying to install Forza 5 as seen from the pictures above, but it's not allowing me to change to my secondary hard drive D:. I've tried using command prompt to check the disk and delete WindowsApps on said drive, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried deleting and...
  5. D Drive cannot find

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D Drive cannot find: Hi, The D drive of my laptop suddenly disappear. I am wondering how to fix it. It is shown as below in the device manager for the hard disk drive. Thanks. This device cannot start. Code 10 {Access Denied} A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted...
  6. cant find d drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant find d drive: i used to be able to see d drive but after a format of the pc it disapeared it reapeared a few days later then dissapeared again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-d-drive/afa26e61-4acc-4ce0-a4de-c9fe4def06dc
  7. Why is my D-Drive and Desktop somehow linked / Why are there 2 D Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my D-Drive and Desktop somehow linked / Why are there 2 D Drives?: [ATTACH] I've been having this issue for a while and it still confuses me till this day. It's like... every time I've downloaded something, rather than downloading it and dragging it onto my desktop, it's already there. I mean... I'm use to dragging downloaded stuff onto...
  8. I Can’t Find My D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Can’t Find My D Drive: So i was using my computer and it running fine, then it gave me that huge frowny face and the screen said it ws scanning for problems and would restart automatically. When it started back up and i logged in, most of my shorcuts were inaccesible and i wasnt able to access my D...
  9. i cannot find my D: drive and E: drive in my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i cannot find my D: drive and E: drive in my laptop: hello, I cannot locate my D:drive and E:drive in my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-find-my-d-drive-and-e-drive-in-my-laptop/ddb6f397-8e9d-4b9a-b874-670224ea836b
  10. Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment: I can find my SSD as my C: but for some reason my D: will not show up on the list. I ran a chkdsk and it can find and analyze D Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 976629759 KB total disk space. 491134428 KB in...