Windows 10: Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup?

Discus and support Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; With Office365 Professional I have a 1TB OneDrive. I use that as my normal working environment and keep all my files here. My used storage on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jake104E, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Jake104E Win User

Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup?

With Office365 Professional I have a 1TB OneDrive.

I use that as my normal working environment and keep all my files here. My used storage on the OneDrive is at present 72,4GB.

I would like to have a certain backup routine where I with some frequency make a copy of my OneDrive onto an external disc. For recovery in case things get deleted, cleaned up etc.

The problem is, that I cannot simply mark my OneDrive folder and click "copy" (or ctrl+C) and then just paste (ctrl+V) on my disc.

When the copying starts, a pop-up displays while it counts the files and determines the space needed. Here it counts up to some 136 GB - despite "Properties" on the OneDrive only shows 72,4 GB. An then I get the error: "There is not enough space on the OS".

My disc is 4TB and has about 3,8TB free.

Even if I take individual sub-folders from my OneDrive I get this message "There is not enough space on the OS".

Why is that?

And how do I easily make a copy of my OneDrive?

:)

Jake104E, Oct 10, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 10, 2019
  3. metalslaw Win User
    Copy entire drive?

Fbackup is a great program for doing file backups. Just select the entire drive, use the mirror option, and it will just copy everything.

metalslaw, Oct 10, 2019
  4. kernrsn Win User

W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup? - Similar Threads - Why copy entire

2. Hello... I just bought a new copy of Gears of War for PC on disc. I can not run it on my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello... I just bought a new copy of Gears of War for PC on disc. I can not run it on my...: I bought a copy of Gears of War for my Windows 11 system. The game is a Gears of War disc copy for PC OS Windows XP & Windows Vista. I have Windows 11. I tried to launch with compatibility mode for Windows XP and Windows Vista. The game does not work with those compatibility...
  3. I've just copied my entire Downloads folder to Onedrive and instantly maxed it out, now I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've just copied my entire Downloads folder to Onedrive and instantly maxed it out, now I...: I was looking to backup my computer to onedrive, and I copied over my downloads folder. Unfortunately, this instantly maxed out my storage space on my onedrive, and now my file explorer stops responding every time I attempt to select anything As such, I cannot delete the...
  4. I've just copied my entire Downloads folder to Onedrive and instantly maxed it out, now I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I've just copied my entire Downloads folder to Onedrive and instantly maxed it out, now I...: I was looking to backup my computer to onedrive, and I copied over my downloads folder. Unfortunately, this instantly maxed out my storage space on my onedrive, and now my file explorer stops responding every time I attempt to select anything As such, I cannot delete the...
  5. I've just copied my entire Downloads folder to Onedrive and instantly maxed it out, now I...

6. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?: Hi there,I am upgrading my SSD to a 1 terabyte ssd. Now since I am absolutely not tech savvy I want to make this process as easy as possible. I think I know how to disconnect my previous SSD and put in a new one. But asfalt as I remember I only have one cable for it. So my...
  7. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?: Hi there,I am upgrading my SSD to a 1 terabyte ssd. Now since I am absolutely not tech savvy I want to make this process as easy as possible. I think I know how to disconnect my previous SSD and put in a new one. But asfalt as I remember I only have one cable for it. So my...
  8. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?

Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?: Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop? Is Windows 11 like this too? Who thought this was a good idea? Why do all my folders disappear when I try to turn it off? Why can't I turn it back on?...
  10. I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done?: Things say OneDrive backs up your files, but it appears to me that you're files end up in the cloud in OneDrive and thus all you ever see on your laptop are copies. I want the originals to live on my laptop and I only want to use OneDrive as a backup copy. Is my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy my onedrive to disc