Windows 10: Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?

Discus and support Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Arty_Fox [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Arty_Fox, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?

/u/Arty_Fox, Nov 18, 2020
  2. PaulPChou Win User

8GB of ram or 16GB of ram in Win. 10?

hi,

I am in Taiwan and might buy a new laptop. For Windows 10, 8GB of ram or 16GB of ram good? I plan to install Photoshop and Illustrator.

PaulPChou, Nov 18, 2020
  3. PaulPChou Win User
    8GB of ram or 16GB of ram in Win. 10?

hi,

I have read that 8GB ideal for most users. Devices with 16GB of ram is expensive.

PaulPChou, Nov 18, 2020
  4. ronkolda Win User

Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?

Upgrading RAM to 12GB or 16GB?

Hi everyone:

I have this machine:

Intel DB75EN...........it has 8GB of DDR3 RAM..... it's an older i5-2400 at 3ghz.

I acidentally (nice) discovered there's still a chance to improve RAM...I can't buy or afford a newer PC.

Amazon has Crucial DDR3 and they fit my machine in the specs checker they have.

I recently added an Crucial SSD and have Windows 10 installed there. It boots better and folders open faster than the HDD.

However, apps aren't faster at all. Just Windows.

The machine has 2 sticks of 4GB installed which make the 8GB. Going from 8GB to 12GB........will it make a difference?

Or it's better to go to 16GB?.

If I could I would to go to 32GB.......the machine specs says it supports up to 32GB RAM (however I can't afford it), since they're DDR3, they are older and are NOT cheap. I can only afford up to 16GB.

Should I make the effort to get 16GB or will 12GB be good?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

ronkolda, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?

1. Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed? - Similar Threads - Why 8GB Ram

2. I installed 16gb of ram but task manager only a says 8gb of ram is installed, how do I fix...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed 16gb of ram but task manager only a says 8gb of ram is installed, how do I fix...: I just got an 16gb of ram dual channel kit for my computer I followed the installation instructions and installed the ram properly. Then powered my computer on went to task manager and it only said I had 8gb of ram installed. Just need help get both 8gb sticks of ram to work....
  3. I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB are use able.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB are use able.: hi,I have a problem with my RAM where is says that I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB of RAM is usable, I've tried to restart my computer, I've tried to delete somethings, I've tired to use the systems configuration yet that hasn't helped. I'm really stuck so can you...
  4. I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB are use able.

I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB are use able.: hi,I have a problem with my RAM where is says that I have 8GB of RAM installed but only 7.76GB of RAM is usable, I've tried to restart my computer, I've tried to delete somethings, I've tired to use the systems configuration yet that hasn't helped. I'm really stuck so can you...
  5. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  6. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  7. Only Accessing 8gb of 16gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only Accessing 8gb of 16gb RAM?: TL;DR: I have a full 16gb RAM installed, but Windows only ever seems to use 8gb of it. Why? I've filled up all 4 DIMMs with some memory - 4gb per. Windows 10 identifies all 16gb in Task Manager, but only ever "uses" 8gb of it - never a single byte more. This is despite me...
  8. Windows showing 8GB of Ram when 16GB is installed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows showing 8GB of Ram when 16GB is installed.: Hi, I have an HP Pavillion x360 laptop which had 16GB of ram. Recently I completely wiped all my files and setting from windows because it was starting to get quite slow and all the files in it were not important. After the wipe, windows showed only 8GB of ram when there...
  9. 16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.: i have tried everything, but half of my memory is hardware reserved. My Specs. Asus P7P55D Pro 16 gb ram overclocked to 2000mhz intel i5 750 GTX 650 ti https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/16gb-installed-only-8gb-usable/7f4fabea-013e-40b5-9a87-ed5af0a49926
  10. 16GB RAM, only 8GB usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    16GB RAM, only 8GB usable: [ATTACH] I'm new to these PC things so I'm sorry for the dumb question. I just got a gaming PC as a gift for christmas, and I checked everything (updates, etc.) and it seems everything was fine, until I checked the RAM, it says 16GB installed but only 7.95 GB usable, it...